join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek

Re: [Rant] "beep!"

said by thegeek:

said by Zach:

Definitely agree....annoying has hell. These same programmers must be the ones responsible for the glowing LED to indicate a device is 'off'.

The constant LEDs piss me off. Even for when something is turned on. I don't need a fucking LED at the front of my TV to let me know it is turned on. When you are trying to have as dark a room as possible for movie viewing that LED at the front of the TV really messes it up. I covered mine with some electrical tape. It looks honky but it does the job.

I did the same thing. blue led if tv is on, red if off. I think i know when the tv is on or off. mines got a black bezel so it dont look "honky"
dvd536

dvd536 to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
My biggest violator: CO monitor. it lets out 3 trilling high pitched LOUD beeps to let me know its on battery power.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

said by thegeek:

said by Zach:

Definitely agree....annoying has hell. These same programmers must be the ones responsible for the glowing LED to indicate a device is 'off'.

The constant LEDs piss me off. Even for when something is turned on. I don't need a fucking LED at the front of my TV to let me know it is turned on. When you are trying to have as dark a room as possible for movie viewing that LED at the front of the TV really messes it up. I covered mine with some electrical tape. It looks honky but it does the job.

I did the same thing. blue led if tv is on, red if off. I think i know when the tv is on or off. mines got a black bezel so it dont look "honky"

I feel your frustration, but a lot of times, especially with kids, they would leave our old TV on, but would have it set to a digital input or something that was off or not playing anything, so had a black screen. Casually going by you'd think it was off, so I've kinda trained myself to look for this....so it does help some folks. I only buy Samsung TV's, and thankfully they're pretty good about the LED thing. Our LCD in the living room has a red LED when off, and nothing when on....but I do absolutely agree that, on the whole, LED's are way over used. I have a USB hub that has a bright ass blue LED on it that will illuminate a room. It's a powered hub, so I assume they're trying to let me know it has power, but the LED was way overkill...couple that with the router, modem, keyboard dongle and phone charges all on my desk....it gets to be a bit much.

You're correct...Electric tape is your friend.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

Mine has a black bezel as well but it is noticeable when up close.
thegeek

thegeek to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

I feel your frustration, but a lot of times, especially with kids, they would leave our old TV on, but would have it set to a digital input or something that was off or not playing anything, so had a black screen. Casually going by you'd think it was off, so I've kinda trained myself to look for this....so it does help some folks.

My kids will leave the TV on by accident all the time but turn off the gaming system or STB so the screen is just black. Thankfully my TV has an auto-off feature. If it isn't receiving a signal for 30 minutes it turns off automatically.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by thegeek:

said by Koil:

I feel your frustration, but a lot of times, especially with kids, they would leave our old TV on, but would have it set to a digital input or something that was off or not playing anything, so had a black screen. Casually going by you'd think it was off, so I've kinda trained myself to look for this....so it does help some folks.

My kids will leave the TV on by accident all the time but turn off the gaming system or STB so the screen is just black. Thankfully my TV has an auto-off feature. If it isn't receiving a signal for 30 minutes it turns off automatically.

Kids...can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.