spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

diz_e_k

join:2012-06-10

[Ultra/Lite] Really slow internet

I have rogers lite internet in Ottawa, and the problem I have is really slow internet but very strange speed test results. My speed test results are around 9mbps. I used the one on this site and it's strange, for the first little while it starts at 9mbps, goes to 8, 7 and drops at a constant rate. It seems that way for all my downloads as well, at first it is downloading at a high rate and then it keeps dropping until it is extremely slow... we're talking downloading a 5mb file in 20 minutes...

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
I was just about to post:

These are my speeds in Kitchener:

It should be 10meg, 18 if you factor in 'speed boost' but not getting anywhere near what I should get.

Did the standard reset of everything. (modem, computer, router, myself) Re-installed OS's and updated firmware on everything. (I'm ahead of the game, Rogers...don't tell me it's the computer)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

diz_e_k

I did as well. This is not a once in a while thing too, it happens all the time. The funny thing for me is the 9 to 10 meg initial download rate where they tickle you with the idea that your internet is actually fast and then they take it away leaving you a sad panda...

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Isn't "Lite" suppose to be around 3megs after the initial boost? I tried downloading a movie but it said it was going to take 200 days so I said screw it.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

diz_e_k

I'm not sure what my internet is to be honest, I share it with my roommate, and I know what you are thinking, he is torrenting and that's why it is slow. However, it is this way even when his computer is off. He has no idea what service he has, I don't think he knows much about computers either... However, my initial download rate is around 9megs... for about 10 seconds... it goes down to something like 20k which is pretty darn slow. What is this initial boost you speak of anyway?

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Yes, that's the initial boost...it should be going to about 3megs after the boost.

I might have a call Rogers and see what's going on...my upload speed is fine, it's the download that's crappy.

It seems that for the first 2 or 3 seconds I'm fine, then it slows right down to a crawl. (so surfing the web is fine, but downloading anything is useless)

--

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
Try a speed test off a Toronto server, to verify it's not a peering issue.

(Though even if a TO server comes back with the proper speeds, those speeds to a NJ server is still an issue)

RogersDarrel

join:2011-09-30
reply to diz_e_k
Hi guys, my name is RogersDarrell and I'm from the Rogers Social Media Team.

@diz_e_k and @Jeff, I agree those are inefficient speeds.

In order to properly assist could you reach out to us on Twitter via @RogersHelps or Facebook at Facebook.com/Rogers so we can better discuss and investigate the speeds.

Thanks! Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

@RogersDarrell

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by RogersDarrel:

Hi guys, my name is RogersDarrell and I'm from the Rogers Social Media Team.

@diz_e_k and @Jeff, I agree those are inefficient speeds.

In order to properly assist could you reach out to us on Twitter via @RogersHelps or Facebook at Facebook.com/Rogers so we can better discuss and investigate the speeds.

Thanks! Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

@RogersDarrell

Good to know, I'll bookmark this page.

Problems seemed solved, downloading close to advertised speeds today.

--

diz_e_k

What exactly did they do for you?

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by diz_e_k:

What exactly did they do for you?

Nothing, it just came back...
--

Vision2

join:2012-06-19
Canada
reply to diz_e_k
said by diz_e_k:

I'm not sure what my internet is to be honest, I share it with my roommate, and I know what you are thinking, he is torrenting and that's why it is slow. However, it is this way even when his computer is off. He has no idea what service he has, I don't think he knows much about computers either... However, my initial download rate is around 9megs... for about 10 seconds... it goes down to something like 20k which is pretty darn slow. What is this initial boost you speak of anyway?

The definition of the speed boost according to the Rogers website is: "SpeedBoost technology temporarily increases download speeds for the first 10MB of a file download when extra bandwidth is available on the network. Actual speed may vary based on network traffic, amount of data transferred and length of time since last boost and other factors."