All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
diz_e_k
join:2012-06-10

diz_e_k to J E F F4

to J E F F4

Re: [Ultra/Lite] Really slow internet

I'm not sure what my internet is to be honest, I share it with my roommate, and I know what you are thinking, he is torrenting and that's why it is slow. However, it is this way even when his computer is off. He has no idea what service he has, I don't think he knows much about computers either... However, my initial download rate is around 9megs... for about 10 seconds... it goes down to something like 20k which is pretty darn slow. What is this initial boost you speak of anyway?

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Yes, that's the initial boost...it should be going to about 3megs after the boost.

I might have a call Rogers and see what's going on...my upload speed is fine, it's the download that's crappy.

It seems that for the first 2 or 3 seconds I'm fine, then it slows right down to a crawl. (so surfing the web is fine, but downloading anything is useless)

bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Try a speed test off a Toronto server, to verify it's not a peering issue.

(Though even if a TO server comes back with the proper speeds, those speeds to a NJ server is still an issue)
Vision2
join:2012-06-19
Canada

Vision2 to diz_e_k

to diz_e_k
said by diz_e_k:

I'm not sure what my internet is to be honest, I share it with my roommate, and I know what you are thinking, he is torrenting and that's why it is slow. However, it is this way even when his computer is off. He has no idea what service he has, I don't think he knows much about computers either... However, my initial download rate is around 9megs... for about 10 seconds... it goes down to something like 20k which is pretty darn slow. What is this initial boost you speak of anyway?

The definition of the speed boost according to the Rogers website is: "SpeedBoost technology temporarily increases download speeds for the first 10MB of a file download when extra bandwidth is available on the network. Actual speed may vary based on network traffic, amount of data transferred and length of time since last boost and other factors."