Sniper3142
Slapsho3142
join:2002-01-25
Tustin, CA

Sniper3142 to cableties

to cableties

Re: [Sci-Fi] Prometheus Imax 3D

I saw it yesterday.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7 or possibly an 8.

It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. As TigerLord mentioned, there were MAJOR mistakes made by these "scientists" and "professionals". I couldn't believe how stupid they acted!

I was expecting more from such a hyped up film.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

said by Sniper3142:

I saw it yesterday.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7 or possibly an 8.

You have a skewed scale.
I love scifi movies and dont mind some of the crappier ones, but this movie sucked.
I give it a 1 out of 10.

In my opinion they did a huge disservice to scifi fans by purposely making a flop and wasting 100s of millions of dollars doing it which will turn off studios from doing real scifi movies in the future.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord

said by r81984:

You have a skewed scale.
I love scifi movies and dont mind some of the crappier ones, but this movie sucked.
I give it a 1 out of 10.

All you said is that it sucked. Can you at least form one coherent argument to support your position rather than insult people who liked it by telling them they have a warped sense of what a good movie is?

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

SRFireside to r81984

to r81984
said by r81984:

You have a skewed scale. I love scifi movies and dont mind some of the crappier ones, but this movie sucked.

As a sci-fi fan myself I have to ask what sort of movies do you like? I ask because science fiction is pretty broad and I notice some sci-fi fans like certain things while others look toward other stuff. Knowing what movies you love (and maybe why) would help get a better compass reading on our opinions of Prometheus.

Actually to you other sci-fi fans that have seen the movie if you can state your faves as well (and maybe why) it could go a long way for those of us wondering about the movie and seeing some wide disparity of opinions.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

said by SRFireside:

said by r81984:

You have a skewed scale. I love scifi movies and dont mind some of the crappier ones, but this movie sucked.

As a sci-fi fan myself I have to ask what sort of movies do you like? I ask because science fiction is pretty broad and I notice some sci-fi fans like certain things while others look toward other stuff. Knowing what movies you love (and maybe why) would help get a better compass reading on our opinions of Prometheus.

Actually to you other sci-fi fans that have seen the movie if you can state your faves as well (and maybe why) it could go a long way for those of us wondering about the movie and seeing some wide disparity of opinions.

For me,…

Prometheus brought me back to the original “Alien” movie which I really loved when it came out. All the basics were there, The strong female lead (although they juggled a lot of characters in Prometheus), the artificial life form (David) with a questionable agenda, and so on,….

It really recaptured the essence of the original for me,….

They say you can’t go back but for me it was close,….

Sure there were technical flaws but it was such a visually stunning movie and a great cast. That doesn’t make up for everything but it helps,…

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to SRFireside

Premium Member

to SRFireside
Agreed. I tend to think people over think a movie and don't appreciate what is going on the screen.

For example the biologist playing with the alien "snake". How many different movies/times have we seen that played out? But it usually gets the same response from the viewer "No you idiot, don't do that".
We know, they know that an experienced biologist wouldn't do what that guy did. But then again consider the late Steve Irwin. He seemed to enjoy playing with dangerous animals.

I don't care if there is no chance at FTL, work hole travel, time travel, or if the science they are talking about can't exist. All I can about is it entertaining and fun.

If I want a factual movie, then I'd watch something from National Geographic or the Discovery channel.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

said by r81984:

You have a skewed scale.
I give it a 1 out of 10.

All you said is that it sucked. Can you at least form one coherent argument to support your position rather than insult people who liked it by telling them they have a warped sense of what a good movie is?

Huh??? The movie did suck. If you if you ignore the rookie movie mistakes, to give it a 7 or 8 out of 10 is very insulting to those of us that know the movie sucked. By saying a 7 or 8 you will trick someone into spending their money on it.
It is the first scifi movie I ever felt I wanted my money back.

The plot of the movie should have made a great movie, but this Ridley Scott guy ruined it. Ridley Scott is too old to make movies and his writers really screwed him on this one also. At 74 he does not seem to understand what he is doing which is sad.

The first scenes were really good. The engineer dissolving himself to create life on earth. The robot was a great character.
It was good until the hologram of Weyland was describing the mission. The the whole movie fell apart.

Remember this is about a humanoid species with really advanced technology and understanding of genetics.
1. It had characters that added 0 to the movie - the pilot, old weyland, vickers. It had non connecting story lines, no flow, no cohesion of the story. It was written and directed poorly with a plot that should have been scifi gold.
2. The ship and structure was not practical. They just made it into a visual scary cave. Remember these engineers are humanoid creators that you saw with the flute, the cuneiform language, have similar thought processes to us.
4. The engineer space suits were just made to look scary, it was a pathetic attempt at trying to make it a scary movie.
3. It was a joke they randomly found the installation on the moon with no scans to tell them to go to that one small strip of land.
4. the magical cave hologram was done poorly. Why a hologram down a random tunnel/hallway?
5. the penis snake was stupid. Couldn't they have done better than a penis???
6. It made no sense that the engineers would leave a map to the distant moon where they are storing basically 'a weapon' to restart all life on earth. Why would you tell people on earth where to find your weapon installation????
7. Obviously these people created life on earth millions of years ago and for some reason 2000 years ago they, or maybe a rival group put that installation on that moon preparing to reset/modify all life on earth, but only after telling the humans on earth the location of their installation.
8. Shaw magically runs around with a fresh slice in her abdomen and staples. She would be bleeding everwhere like crazy. All they had to do was have the machine do some step like a spray or laser, but no they went with magic blood. That was a joke.
9.The black goo was a little strange. It turned seamen into a squid monster in a female that was not fertile. It turned magots into a penis snake. It turned one guy into a human hating monster zombie.
The squid monster grew with no food or water and became an alien queen.
10. They had all that mapping technology and two scientists magically get lost?? WTF. Later they were shown verbally stating their coordinates so they knew where they were.
11. Why did the engineer go to find Shaw instead of going to another ship to complete his mission??? That made no sense.
12. They really tried hard with that religion connection. Have they learned nothing from Matrix and Lost???
13. The trailer deceived us into thinking the movie was good.
14. Ridley Scott failed to bring everything together to make a good movie. His job should have been easy and he screwed it up.

As I said I never felt I needed my money back from a scifi movie before Prometheus.
r81984

r81984 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Agreed. I tend to think people over think a movie and don't appreciate what is going on the screen.
(spoiler)

I don't care if there is no chance at FTL, work hole travel, time travel, or if the science they are talking about can't exist. All I can about is it entertaining and fun.

If I want a factual movie, then I'd watch something from National Geographic or the Discovery channel.

Scifi is not factual.
But in good scifi you set rules and play in those rules.
Every show has its own set of rules and physics.

Where Prometheus when wrong was they had no set rules. The writers just make random shit up as they went along.
The movie took a great plot and very poorly implemented trying to squeeze in their little snippets.
Its like several people independently wrote some events/scenes down on playing cards and shuffled them. Then randomly picked some cards in whatever order they were in and just made up stupid filler in between.
That is not good scifi. Hell it did not even have good action.
I have no idea who they wrote that movie for, but it was not scifi fans. Just think about the scifi you like and how you would feel if it were written like prometheus.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
I understand exactly. I really love sci-fy, but this movie was nothing but eye candy... Its like they recruited retards from the side of the road to conduct this mission...

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

1 edit

TigerLord to r81984

to r81984
Let me address some of your criticism. Some is founded, but you're reaching on some of them.

1. It had characters that added 0 to the movie - the pilot, old weyland, vickers. It had non connecting story lines, no flow, no cohesion of the story. It was written and directed poorly with a plot that should have been scifi gold.
The pilot was the moral compass of the entire team. Old Weyland was the representation of greed and the everlasting pursuit of immortality. Vickers was indeed useless, except perhaps she was the only really sane person of the entire expedition: she wanted to leave the second they set foot on the planet.

2. The ship and structure was not practical. They just made it into a visual scary cave. Remember these engineers are humanoid creators that you saw with the flute, the cuneiform language, have similar thought processes to us.
Compared to what? The Enterprise? The Super Deathstar? Function is served by whatever they need. I did not find the engineer ship to be overly superfluous.

4. The engineer space suits were just made to look scary, it was a pathetic attempt at trying to make it a scary movie.
I think it fitted their overall look well. Would you have rather they look like the ridiculous aliens in Battleship? I thought the suits were fine

3. It was a joke they randomly found the installation on the moon with no scans to tell them to go to that one small strip of land.
They clearly state there are many such installations across the whole planet, as each is a docking station for a ship and David explicitly mentions there is a whole network of ships

4. the magical cave hologram was done poorly. Why a hologram down a random tunnel/hallway?
Magical? You clearly see the geologist popping those scanning orbs out of his bags and launching them. I thought they were cool.

5. the penis snake was stupid. Couldn't they have done better than a penis???
Only thing stupid about the penis snake was the stupid biologist playing with it. You clearly see the small worms swimming in the black stuff early on, it's only natural that small works become bigger worms.

6. It made no sense that the engineers would leave a map to the distant moon where they are storing basically 'a weapon' to restart all life on earth. Why would you tell people on earth where to find your weapon installation????
The Engineer's rationale for wanting to destroy us is never explained. The map they find at the beginning in Scotland is 35,000 years old, but we know that the Engineers created the Aliens to destroy us 2,000 years ago. So it stands to reason they did not always want to destroy us, they might really have invited us to visit them at one point. What changed their mind remains a mystery. It'll probably be answered in the next movie.

7. Obviously these people created life on earth millions of years ago and for some reason 2000 years ago they, or maybe a rival group put that installation on that moon preparing to reset/modify all life on earth, but only after telling the humans on earth the location of their installation.
See previous point. We don't know yet why they changed their minds.
It's either a plot hole or a loose end left open for the next movie which is likely to happen considering how the movie ended.

8. Shaw magically runs around with a fresh slice in her abdomen and staples. She would be bleeding everwhere like crazy. All they had to do was have the machine do some step like a spray or laser, but no they went with magic blood. That was a joke.
I had trouble with that one too. Considering they have the technology to put people in cryosleep, it's entirely possible whatever anesthetics she injects herself with has regenerative properties as well. It does require a shitload of suspension of disbelief to follow through on that one.

9.The black goo was a little strange. It turned seamen into a squid monster in a female that was not fertile. It turned magots into a penis snake. It turned one guy into a human hating monster zombie.
The squid monster grew with no food or water and became an alien queen.

The black goo modifies the host to accommodate whatever lifeforms will lead to the creation of an alien as quickly as possible. The squid in Shaw was obviously mean to suck her face in as soon as it was born (which leads to we know what). The penis snake serves a similar function I think, since it behaved similarly to how the giant squid at the end did. I suppose in absence of a squid or a penis snake to modify your DNA and use equal matter conversion to harvest an alien inside you, the black goo turns you into a mad zombie?

10. They had all that mapping technology and two scientists magically get lost?? WTF. Later they were shown verbally stating their coordinates so they knew where they were.
That was fucking dumb, yeah.

11. Why did the engineer go to find Shaw instead of going to another ship to complete his mission??? That made no sense.
He was probably pissed off that the bitch crashed his ship and almost killed him, so he thought he rip her head out for fun THEN proceed to the next ship. There was probably no rush for him.

12. They really tried hard with that religion connection. Have they learned nothing from Matrix and Lost???
Damon Lindelhof is a moron. See my first post in this thread.

13. The trailer deceived us into thinking the movie was good.
That's what trailers are meant to do.

14. Ridley Scott failed to bring everything together to make a good movie. His job should have been easy and he screwed it up.
Well he didn't make the best movie possible but it wasn't a total flop.

This is sci-fi, the genre that along with fantasy requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief. You sound like an angry fan that went in with epically high expectations and came out insulted your every dreams were not realized.

Look, the movie is not perfect and there are plenty of dumb mistakes the characters make that are so totally unforgivable. But you can't deny the visuals are stunning and some of the moments were really WTF-inducing. When the engineer is fighting off the giant squid and you see the huge thing finally suck him in, I grossed me out completely .

Prometheus isn't perfect but saying it's the first movie that made you want your money back is kind of delusional.

What sci-fi movies do you hold so dear they are perfection to your eyes?

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

I love suspending reality to see a movie like this... What bothers me is the total LACK of common sense they wrote into the characters...

"Your personally selected for a trillion dollar mission to discover an alien civilation half way across the galaxy, and the first thing you do when you get there is take off your helmet!!!!! Touch the black goo!!! Act like a total douchbag and run away, then get lost!!!"

I was watching the movie tonight just in AWE at the stupidity of the writing!

YES I LOVE sci-fy! And you have to suspend reality to enjoy it! But I cant understand suspending common sense as-well.. If this is the kind of crap they are going to put out... I will refuse to pay anything for any type of content!

I already download everything I watch on tv for free, But I will go and spend money on the types of movies I like to watch! Just to support it! But common. Dont take me for a fool. Write something that make sense and actually spend more than a few nights doing it.
DaMaGeINC

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

Maybe we were just spoiled by Star Trek... They had common sense and did things the right way.. Mostly. Plenty of backups and precautions.. This move is an example of doing everything the wrong way and having to deal with the consequences... To me, thats no movie.. Thats just being lazy and hoping to make a quick buck.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer to DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

to DaMaGeINC
said by DaMaGeINC:

I love suspending reality to see a movie like this...

I expect to enjoy the movie... it's entertainment, why look too deeply?

as some of you may remember from past posts of mine, I even enjoy the terrible Saturday night movies on Sy-Fy.

This Saturday, a Roger Corman movie, with Rachel Hunter in it.... apparently, all she can get these days is bad sci-fi?

Looking forward to it....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ature=iv