uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

50 meg res. and caps

Are 50 meg residential users currently being charged for going over the monthly 50/100 GB cap at this time?
--
CableOne 10m/1m

liviorn

join:2009-06-21
Rio Rancho, NM
yep. I was charged extra one time. 3$ or so, half a year ago. But that is if you're going over 50\100GB from 8am to midnight. If you schedule dl at night, you can well exceed that amount. Well, that is theoretically, and to be honest, that's not always convenient. When I switched from 10mb to this 50mb plan I kinda liked it for a day and than, by this day included, I almost hate it. But what are you gonna do, 1 year contract ._.
I'm waiting for the upcoming updates to the plans in August or so. If I'm right, cableone was doing that every year. Maybe a better deal will show up, who knows.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

1 edit
I hope so. It looks like I'm gonna be forced to take the business class route though if things don't change. My usage has increased dramatically since I've subscribed to Netflix.

The thing is the business class packages have caps as well + $200 installation fee, but I hear that the caps aren't currently enforced (Some months ago)

I dropped an email to CableOne Business support and inquired about it. Might do the same for residential.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to liviorn
Well, got a very interesting email from a business rep today:

quote:
Thanks for your inquiry into Cable One Business services. I have attached all the pricing and speeds that we offer. To answer your question we actually have plans that have no cap and plans that do have a cap. It depends on your needs and what you use the internet for. Please call or email me with any questions. I also need to verify your service address to make sure that we can offer at your location.

Rates are month to month, 1 year (reduced by 5%), 2 year (10%), & 3 year (15%). Also receive an additional 5% when bundling internet & telephone services.

Modem rental is $8.00 a month unless you go with a 3 year term in which it is at no cost. Also waived for Office or Enterprise customers. Static IP Info – Single static $9.95 , go from 1 to 5 = $6.00 more per month, 1 to 13= $21.00 more per month, & 5 to 13 = $15.00 more per month Download speeds are on the left & upload on the right.

Internet

Available in most Cable One Markets:

Economy – 5MB x 1MB – $69.95 to as low as $55.96 (cannot support a static IP) Unlimited

Suite – 50MB x 2MB – $70.00 to as low as $56.00 (can have 1 static IP @ $9.95) 100 GB

Office – 50MB x 3MB – $130.00 to as low as $104.00 (includes 1 static IP) 300 GB

Enterprise – 50MB x 4MB – $230.00 to as low as $184.00 (includes 1static IP) Unlimited

Still offer these speeds as well:

Economy – 5MB x 1MB - $69.95 to as low as $55.46 (cannot support a static IP)

Standard – 10MB x 1MB - $85.95 to as low as $68.76 (can have 1 static IP @ $5.95)

Premium – 12MB x 1.5MB - $99.95 as low as $79.96 (includes 1 static IP)

Ultra – 15MB x 2MB - $199.95 as low as $159.96 (includes 5 static IP’s)

Enterprise – 20MB x 2.5MB - $299.95 as low as $239.96 (includes 13 static IP’s)
If what this guy says is true, apparently the older tiers for business class are still offered, they're just unlisted? Although it's still quite expensive.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

cableonehs

@cableone.net
reply to liviorn
A Cableone rep told me today that their new plan offerings go into effect tomorrow 6/15 and the new plan rates will increase overall. I just downgraded from "Triple Play" to the "Preferred 2 Pack" due to ongoing phone issues and the rep made sure they got my request in today since that plan will be more expensive starting tomorrow.

said by liviorn:

I'm waiting for the upcoming updates to the plans in August or so. If I'm right, cableone was doing that every year. Maybe a better deal will show up, who knows.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
said by cableonehs :

A Cableone rep told me today that their new plan offerings go into effect tomorrow 6/15 and the new plan rates will increase overall. I just downgraded from "Triple Play" to the "Preferred 2 Pack" due to ongoing phone issues and the rep made sure they got my request in today since that plan will be more expensive starting tomorrow.

Can you elaborate more on the details of the new plans?

If the prices are actually going up, I'm feeling more and more enticed to go to AT&T again as much as I hate them.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

cableonehs

@cableone.net
The rep didn't go into any details other than the plans were changing... and from what I see on Cableone's website they did change somewhat as of this morning. Appears they are only offering 12 month contracts now.

"Elite Bundle"... or otherwise known as "Triple Play"... appears to be $99 per month.

"Preferred Bundle" with cable / internet appears to be $89 per month.

"Preferred Bundle" with cable / phone is $79 per month.

"Preferred Bundle" with internet / phone is $69 per month.

50MB internet is $70 per month under contract. 50GB cap still applies.

"Standard" 5MB internet is still $50 no contract.

"Economy" 1.5MB internet is $20 no contract. First I've heard of it, but don't know if it existed before.

mGr

join:2012-07-01
Columbus, MS
I just checked... The 50/2 plan has a 100GB cap(Internet only). I don't know if that's because I'm existing customer when I checked, or if they changed it recently.. That's alot better then 50GB but still far from being great. I can get Uverse 12M with a 250GB cap for (I think last I checked) 48 bux a month. I'm still weighing my options here. When cable one raised it's rate back in the spring it really miffed me, especially when they did not upgrade anything. Even my mom's cheap basic cable plan went up $3 with no warning or upgrade. They should have just made the standard 10 or 12M and the economy 5M (duh!) and raised the rates. I think I will wait till August and see tho if anything new changes come out( I doubt it). That Uverse is looking more tempting by the day.

cableonehs

@cableone.net
reply to Pashune
I just checked the Cableone website and... you're right... looks like they did raise the cap to 100GB for the 50 meg internet only plan. Must have been recent because I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when they first changed the plans a few weeks ago. Before the new plans, I believe you had to have "Triple Play" to get the 100GB cap.

U-Verse is worth checking into if AT&T can really promise those speeds at your location. If you're a few miles from the "switch"... the speeds go down significantly. I talked to AT&T last month to see if they offered DSL at my location and they do... but only 768k for $15 per month. I constantly get 51-52 meg with Cableone. After enjoying those speeds... I'd never go back to 768k even if it were free.

Pocatello

join:2011-05-17
83201-4406
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to Pashune
Any news on this issue? ***

I am stuck with the 5mb service with no obvious caps (but there is a limit of 3 GB per day that no ones seems to pay any attention to.)

I really want better service and I am willing to pay for it. A business only company put in fiber throughout my town last year. They provide GB service to businesses only. They do not provide services for residential. They did offer me a T1 line at 1.5 MB up/down for $300 per month. That is not what I am looking for.

Is cable one imposing limits on their business customers? Are they charging you if you go above their limits? I am using about 300 to 400 GB per month.

Ack! I wish I had some choices!