Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

2 recommendations

Spensergig to grobinette

MVM

to grobinette

Re: replace a smart meter with a non smart meter.

I vote locked. And every following thread that degrades like this should also be locked, without waiting through days and days of this bickering crap.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

2 recommendations

fifty nine

said by Spensergig:

I vote locked. And every following thread that degrades like this should also be locked, without waiting through days and days of this bickering crap.

And, there is really one thing common to all of these threads...

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to Spensergig

Premium Member

to Spensergig
said by Spensergig:

Not that I really care one way or the other if it gets locked, but...you know you don't have to read the thread, right? You can unfollow it pretty easily, and it'd never effect your life one iota...never really understood why ppl cared to comment in a thread they don't like.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Koil:

said by Spensergig:

Not that I really care one way or the other if it gets locked, but...you know you don't have to read the thread, right? You can unfollow it pretty easily, and it'd never effect your life one iota...never really understood why ppl cared to comment in a thread they don't like.

I agree Koil. Perhaps they have a need to influence and control what others are doing or saying. They don't have to read the posts yet they do and then call for it to be locked (censored. I suggest that Spensergig "the thread killer" just put this thread on ignore. Problem solved.

Now back to topic of Smart Meters.

Many of us already have "Electronic" meters instead of the old analog meters which negates the argument on accuracy and they have a "RF Transmitter" that allows remote reading from a vehicle passing by once a month. As near as I can determine the only difference in the so-called "Smart Meters" is a RF transmitter that can communicate with a utility network connected to a central office that collects real time data 24/7 and on some meters a switch that can be operated on/off by the central office.

This ability to have the monthly usage for billing purposes eliminating the meter readers could be a money saver even though the ROI on the meter change-outs will take years, and the ability to know when there's a power failure even though every one of the sites I checked said to phone anyway to report an outage. That negates that so-called benefit.

All the touted benefits don't match reality unless it's just a back-door method to achieve something else.

Personally I would have no problem with the POCO having the ability to read my monthly usage for billing purposes and know when there's a power outage at my location but that's all they need to be allowed to do. They already have the means and equipment to monitor their demand 24/7 every second of the day.

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

1 recommendation

dosdoxies to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by Spensergig:

And, there is really one thing common to all of these threads...