Your situation A is closest, but it works like this

(the letters are completely arbitrary)

(main hand) Axe : B1, B2, B3
(main hand) Dagger : C1, C2, C3
(main hand) Scepter : D1, D2, D3

(off hand) Dagger : C4 C5
(offhand) Focus: D4 D5
(offhand) Alt-Focus: E4 E5

Basically, your main hand weapon grants you 3 abilities, and your off hand gives you 2. You can swap and mix and match main and off hands to get the combo of the two you like best.

So, using my little example above. If I equip an axe in my main and a Alt-Focus in my off hand, my skill bar comes out to: B1, B2, B3, E4, E5.

Weapons are class specific, so what I get for my main and off hand attacks will be completely different than what any other class gets.

Hope that makes sense.

Beef7
join:2012-05-16

Beef7

so a warrior with an axe, can do different things with it, than lets say a necro with an axe?

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by Beef7:

so a warrior with an axe, can do different things with it, than lets say a necro with an axe?

Correct

Beef7

Beef7

my favorite wep of the weekend was warrior with 2H mace/hammer or whatever... like ret paladin in WoW

the 2H ultimate (LoL reference lol) was a jump and smash aoe, that stunned everything, freakin awesome!

the normal abilities with it were also very cool... a whirlwhind type of attack, and a group smash stun... like Barbarian seismic slam in D3

very cool

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

2H weapons fill out all 5 skills, as obviously an off hand cannot be used.

Necro 2H is the staff, which focuses on a lot of AOE traps or zone triggers, causing debuffs as baddies move through them.

Beef7

Beef7

as you progress in the game:

would an EPIC 2H staff do different abilities than lets say a normal 2H staff?

or would the abilities stay the same, and only the stats improve?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure skills remain the same, but you get traits that do different things (independantly of your weapon) that can affect it, plus you can place "add-ons" to the weapon as well, that give it perks and buffs....but again, I'm not 100% on that.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Beef7

Premium Member

to Beef7
I agree with beef. Warrior was ok dual weild but when I finally got a 2 handed Mace or weapon it picked up a lot in the fun factor.

Classes I tried this Beta were:

Thief and Warrior.

I'm split between the two. Thief gameplay is really fun and involves a lot of movement and animations are really slick. Dual pistol though maybe not the most damage is pretty awesome to just play. I always wanted dual range weapons as a Hunter in WoW. Warrior like I said earlier got more fun as a got 2 handed weapons. The nice thing about Warrior was you could take a few hits as the thief could be 2 shotted. Not entirely to sure what to roll when the game releases.

WvWvW:

I really don't know what was going on. Funny thing was others around me didn't either. There appeared to be some who did as they were barking orders in Area Chat but I didn't even understand the nodes they were yelling at us to help capture or defend. As those who know MMO's well know maps get abbreviations or nicknames (such as BS for Blacksmith in AB). In WvWvW there are event/quests as you approach certain areas and you work to do them. It was just weird, big, confusing. All wonderful about a new game. I only ran into one opposing player but we zerg killed him.

Beef7

3 edits

Beef7

@I AM

hehe that's hilarious

usually it just boils down to follow the leader...

mother duckling leading her chicks... when momma stops the babies bump into the others from behind, and start spinning/walking in circles all confused!

UI in GW2 is very different, still figuring everything out

the game definitely feels more open world than Tera... Tera felt very corralled... in valleys

you have a separate set of weapons for above water and below water... and the game camera gets water drops on it when you come out of the water, pretty awesome

ALSO:

- Game music was excellent
- Game art was excellent
- Day/night cycles were excellent
- Weather cycles were excellent
- The game is massively multiplayer without requiring you to be massively social (I know some hate social gaming)
- You get experience for rezzing fallen comrades... this motivates people to rezz you during battles or if they walk buy randomly
- Zone portals allow you to teleport to other sections of the zone without walking all the way there (you have to find the portals before you can use them... a big critique of mmos is wasted time walking through empty land you have nothing to do in)

one zone, will have day/night/weather cycles... and during bad weather it rains/gets cloudy, and the grass blows! pretty awesome

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

I agree and disagree with how open it feels. It's free to roam yes as Tera has some invisible walls. But to me Tera felt more open similar to WoW. Yes when you took the FP to places in Tera you would go warping into outspace thingy but you could if you wanted run from zone to zone without ever hitting a loading screen. With GW2 when you hit other zones you actually zone through an instance looking door and it goes into a loading screen.

Beef7

Beef7

ahhhh... didn't know this! stayed in one zone

put this in the forums as undesirable!

loading screen between zones is very bad!

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

said by Beef7:

Correct

Could you please elaborate?

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

An axe in the hand of a warrior, lets say, will give 3 primary attacks if in the main hand or two secondary attacks if in the off hand. Those three attacks for Necro are not the same three attacks for warrior. Warrior may have 2 melee and a ranged attack while the necro may get an aoe and 2 magic attacks. Each class has its own attacks for each weapon for each hand...kinda cool.

Hope that made sense.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to atuarre

to atuarre
Say a warrior finds an axe and uses it. His 5 skills might be something like Hack, Slash, Charge, etc etc (just making up names). The necro finds the same axe. His skills might be Poison, Drain Life, etc etc.

Now if the necro finds a sword, his 5 weapon related skills might change to Raise Skeleton, Rot Flesh, etc etc.

I made up the skill names but you get the point. Your profession + weapon used = different skills on your 1-5 buttons.