Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven

Re: [NBA] The Official NBA Playoffs/Finals Thread 2012

It starts Tuesday.

Game 7 was good. I watched the whole game with my brother in law who is like 14 and he likes the Heats because the Celtics are "old." This really was a team win for the Heats. I thought Lebron played good but there was no way he was going to duplicate what he did in game 6. He missed a lot of free throws and those long range shots he was hitting wasn't going in this game. I thought he came through in the "clutch" with that big three and that driving dunk.

As much as the media hates on Lebron the dude is a good guy. He's not in the News for illegal activities or arrests, does commercials for children to stay in school, and other positive things. He's a good guy just not the killer we expect from the likes of the Kobes and Jordans of the world.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Yea maybe hes missing that "spark".

And yes I agree that spark may come with less than personable personalities, but in the receant bball history I have been a part of (18 yrs ish) that spark can make dynasties. Jorden and Kobe are not nice guys. Both have had issues in their personal lives, but both of them held basketball higher than anything else in their lives and won because of it.

You would think these years of badgering and not winning champs would have pissed him off at this point to where he could play every game with that intensity. Sometimes I think the money really does soften up some players and the I MUST WIN mentality gets lost in all the cars, houses, stuff.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

18 years! That's a long time. I'm only 27 but didn't start watching it more in depth until I was about a Junior in High School.

This is my question. How much has the media changed? I don't recall maybe because it wasn't during my time peroid but I don't remember people calling for heads to roll because I team made it to the finals. Teams seemed happy to get there though losing did stink but it was something to be built on. I don't remember people calling for example the Jazz to split Malone and Stockton because they kept coming up sure. Has the media just gone crazy? Probably.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

The issue with the heat is that those players are staying there with pay cuts to win a championship. Thats the only reason the team was even put together. (I suppose thats the reason for every team, but you didn't see Magic and Bird taking pay cuts to play with each other).

The Jazz were fundamentally solid and would have won championships anytime outside the Jordan era. Stockton was an amazing point guard for the skill set god gave him. Malone was Shaq before we met Shaq, and after Shaq Malone never looked as impressive to me.

I would agree that for some organizations getting to the finals is an accomplishment. For OKC their season is already a success, the championship will be icing.

Im only 23, but the few things I remember about my childhood are watching bball with my pops. He never made me go to bed if MJ was on. Until i was like 13, number 23 was the only reason I got to stay up late.

The media now a days is HUGE and much bigger than neccessary. It leads to everyones ideas eventually coming accross the wire. Public opinion will rarely impact players decisions. I.E. poor cleveland.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Wouldn't you stay it's crazy though for people to suggest the Heats to break up the team because they don't win it this year? You're talking about Wade, Lebron, Bosh. In almost any trade including Wade or Bosh they heats would be losers?

Trade Idea after that comment lol:
Heats send Nets Wade, Bosh.
Nets send Deron Williams, Gerald Wallace (1st round pick? or Marshoon Brooks? Brook Lopez?)
Who says no? Nets get superstars to bring people in and two solid guys to build on. Heats get a Star ball handler in D-Will, Solid Defensive guy in Gerald Wallace (imagine Lebron and Wallace on defensive!), and either a future solid pick, Brooks who looks like he has potential as a decent chucker, or Lopez a solid post presense.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

I am not sure what their contracts are for. I was under the impression they were short 2 or 3 yr contracts with the idea that if they didn't win in their contract life times that the team would be broke up. Mostly because Wade/Bosh and maybe James could be making better money on other teams.

I don't think trades are likely.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

I believe they are 6 year contracts with the players having outs after 4 if wanted.

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
kickin ass

e_dub

Premium Member

Heat could not defend in the 4th quarter. Lebron only 7points in the 4th.
I think the Heat had a bad match up (defensively) against OKC. Lebron needs to stay on Durant the entire game.
Could be a long/short series for the Heat.

Interesting fact: This is the first time in any championship game (any sport) that the 2 opponent's name does not end with the letter "S".

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Silvanos

to Silvanos
That could be. I would bet if there isn't a championship after 4 everyones getting out.

Though 2 years failing in a row is going to be tough.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Durant - The Anti-Lebron

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit

RockCake to e_dub

Premium Member

to e_dub
said by e_dub:

Interesting fact: This is the first time in any championship game (any sport) that the 2 opponent's name does not end with the letter "S".

MLS Cup
1996, 99: DC United vs. LA Galaxy
1998: DC United vs. Chicago Fire

(well you DID say any sport)