join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

To lactose or not to lactose, that is the question

Click for full size
I decided to look at the ingredients on the chewable vitamin C tablets I got at Walmart. Much to my amusement, the ingredients mention lactose and right under the ingredients block, it says no added lactose. Oh...I might get it now...it has lactose, but no additional lactose....hmmmm....

Here, I'll show you a picture (see the attached picture). Sorry for the crappy image. It should be just good enough to read the ingredients. It was taken with a bargain tablet...fixed focus so no macro setting.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

The label is right by saying no added lactose. Read where it says that it contains milk which has lactose in it.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to rchandra

Premium Member

to rchandra
By containing milk, it contains lactose. So the list of ingredients is correct.

They have not aded additional lactose other than what is naturally occuring in the milk. Therefore, no added lactose.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

Well...if you're going to say it contains lactose because it contains milk, we may as well just list every single chemical element which is in the tablets. Why is casein not listed? That's in milk. What about butterfat? That's in milk. I just think it's a little absurd that someone would explain this as, it has y, and x is a component of y, so therefore it contains x. Aren't lists of ingredients supposed to be what was combined to make the product, not what the subcomponents are of everything in it?

The other thing I thought that was interesting is that it has the three sweeteners, Sorbitol, sugar, and Aspartame. You'd think they'd only need one of the three.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

1) lactose is not 'an element'

2) lactose is a significant allergen therefore must be explicitly listed, per regulation.

3) though I agree that "contains lactose but we didn't add any lactose" sounds like useless info.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

I kind of thought of it not as useless, but more like contraditory. "We put x in this, but we didn't add any x." huh? ummm...Okey dokey. Err on the side of it being included, i guess.

Actually, now that I think of it, lactose would be yet a fourth sweetener.

Me personally, I don't think the small amount which would be in one tablet would give me any problems. I would guess without a professional diagnosis I am not lactose intolerant but lactase deficient...because small amounts of dairy aren't bad, but significant amounts...well, without getting too graphic, it makes me feel "bad."

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

2) lactose is a significant allergen

Being "allergic" to milk/lactose is rare. Lactose intolerance, on the other hand, is rather common (but has nothing to do with an allergic reaction).

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to rchandra

Premium Member

to rchandra
This is why Walmart should be boycotted. For 8 months, they screwed up my prescriptions (I take 13 meds) in the worst ways. I would call in or drop off prescriptions, and invariably every month they either forgot that I orded what I did, and shorted me on the one day I got a ride to there, or they were out of some of them. On several occasions I would call and ask them "is x, y, and z ALL ready" they would say yes, but invariably I would get shorted some of the meds. And what sucks is I had no way to get there and my ride would be too impatient for me to go through every bag.

Walmart pharmacy sucks so bad. Finally, after 8 months I called corporate to complain about the store, and they complaint person was insulting and non caring, seemed to talk off of a flash card. I am boycotting Walmart. Walgreens is doing great so far. They never brush me off and are attentive and make sure I get every script possible and they text me if it isn't ready or is, so I can ask my doctors to call in updates

The Walmart steak add is the most annoying. I wouldn't buy walmart meat unless I had no other choice.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

WalMart prescription is totally different than the OPs non-issue....
Expand your moderator at work

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to rchandra

Premium Member

to rchandra

Re: To lactose or not to lactose, that is the question

That means they did not add extra amount of it duh.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to rchandra

Premium Member

to rchandra
Must be made in China or some place like that. The real question is "to Walmart or not to Walmart" I vote NOT!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to rchandra

Premium Member

to rchandra
Because of the marketing a-holes; to the average consumer it sounds like a good idea which increases the likelihood that he or she will buy the product.

If they didn't add a sweetener few people would want to chew (let alone just swallow) it. Sorbitol has fewer calories than sugar but acts as a laxative, sugar is expensive and high in calories, aspartame has no calories, is much sweeter than sugar but has an unpleasant aftertaste (as well as years of controversy attached to it) - by mixing all three the final product is less expensive than sugar, taste similar to sugar, but not leave you running for the toilet.

Anyways the label is sort of screwed-up, ascorbic acid (i.e. vitamin C) is a preservative, so their claim of it having "no preservatives" is patently false.