Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mkoenig

@communicomm.com

Internet problem has the tech scratching his head. Help?

I have been a Communicom/recently changed to Mediacom internet customer for 6 months with no problems. About 2 weeks ago, trouble started. I telecommute from home, so I'm online a lot. Around 5:30 pm, I would lose internet service. The modem seems to reset, searches for service & finds none. I would then unplug both the power and cable line, wait 30 seconds +/- and then plug back in. It has now progressed to the point where it starts around noon, unplugging the power and cable often doesn't work, and I'm without internet for the rest of the day/evening. I really only have internet a few hours a day now.

I have called Mediacom 4-5 times. They have been out 4 times. The tech has run a new line from the pole to the house, he's put new connectors in, he's replaced the modem. He is due out sometime today since we were without internet most of the weekend.

I do have a router hooked up to the modem. It is a Linksys BEFSX41. Then I have a wireless Netgear WGT624 router hooked into that as an access point. I have wondered if there is a problem with that setup. The tech says no, but I need to explore all options at this point. I did take the router out of the equation & hooked my work computer up directly to the modem at one point and still lost service.

My frustration level is at an all-time high, especially since, in the 13 years I've been telecommuting from areas all over the west, Mediacomm is the most expensive internet I've ever had. But I live in a very small town and my only other option is Centurylink/Qwest, which I avoid like the plague. Also, I've had very reliable internet service from cable companies in those 13 years. The outages have gotten to the point where it's affecting my job and my husbands job search.

Does anyone have any ideas? If anybody wants more details, I'd be happy to oblige. Thanks!

OldCableGuy

@communications.net
If you unplug the cable and touch between the center stinger and the screw connector do you feel a tingle? I've seen ground issues exhibit like this.

caseywor

join:2004-04-19
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Charter
·Mediacom
reply to mkoenig
What has the weather been like where you live? Hot in the afternoon into the evening? If you have a TV setup that can tune to analog channels 2, 3, 4, or 5, is their an increase of snow or a worse than normal picture on those channels during that time? I ask these questions so as to attempt to rule out heat related problems. I have had personal experience with this, in the past when I used to be a Comcast subscriber, the where during hot weather I was having this trouble all the time. My brother also used to have outages at his old house during hot weather in the afternoon and evening. From talking to cable installation and line techs, this can have to do with amps and passives overheating during the hottest part of the day. I would be curious to see what the signal readings from your modem are when the connection drops compared to when it is working. BTW, what time of day does your service finally return?

caseywor

Orlando, FL
Of course, my question about picture quality on analog channels 2, 3, 4, and 5 will require you to be at least a basic cable subscriber. If you subscribe to internet only, that tip does no good.

mkoenig

@communicomm.com
reply to mkoenig
I will try that.... next time it goes out (any minute now!). I'm afraid to mess with it while it's working.

BTW - Communicomm changed to Mediastream, not Mediacomm. So I apologize for posting in the wrong forum. I will repost elsewhere.

still - anyone with ideas, let me know! Thanks so much.

mkoenig

@communicomm.com
Reply to casey: I have had the sneaking suspicion that weather may be an issue. It gets hot here in here afternoon, usually in the 80's +. And the internet goes out in the afternoon. It comes back sometime in the night, as I usually have internet in the morning until it warms up outside. I have brought it up to the tech and he kinda poo-poos it.

what did your solution end up being for the weather issue? and I am assuming that the readings need to be taken by the cable tech? I never know when he's going to show up, altho it is often in the afternoon.

Thanks for the help.

Streatorguy

@mchsi.com
The tech needs to check the MER and BER on the hsd carrier

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121
IM me your account info and I will check your signal levels on this end. I can also do a 3 day voice session to check for small signal fluctuations.
Expand your moderator at work

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to mkoenig

Re: Internet problem has the tech scratching his head. Help?

Depending on the modem, you should go to »192.168.100.1 and get your signal levels.

Post them here

Also please post details about your home setup as far as how many coax outlets are hooked up and how things are split off.

Also, depending on your modem, the lights will indicate many things, it would be useful to know what the lights on your modem say and what they are doing when the modem is having problems

Based on your original post, I would say that the modem is bad, but it has already been replaced. I've found two bad modems in a row, but it is not common.

Stray voltage can do strange things too, but that is also not common and is usually the result of poor electrical wiring in your home (Televisions using CATV as a ground path instead of home wiring)
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to mkoenig
One word for you.

Noise

It can cause internet to go offline when your neighbor turns on their tv, or starts recording something with their vcr.

Noise bounces in and out around the cable plant, all the way back to the fiber. It can cause yours and all of your neighbors internet modems to go offline all together.

Have you had any new neighbors that moved in recently, or have you bought a new tv/vcr or something recently? A LOT of things can cause noise, and the techs can block noise with a noise filter, but it also has the by-product of blocking two-way communication on the line it's installed....
--
Hello

ausmon

@mchsi.com
I've been having the same problem. Unchecking IPv6 through my adapter settings has done the trick for now.

What would it cost to have a noise filter installed? And what do you mean by blocking two-way communication?

Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121
ausmon, are you still experiencing inturruptions? If so, IM me your account info and I will be happy to check your signal levels.
Expand your moderator at work

caseywor

Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Charter
·Mediacom
reply to mkoenig

Re: Internet problem has the tech scratching his head. Help?

Sorry for the delay....that goes back to when I was a Comcast customer, years ago. The solution was that I moved to another neighborhood with newer plant. It fixed the problem...:) I didn't move due to this, but the move is what stopped what was becoming an unpleasant situation. The tech doesn't know what he is talking about if he is not giving it consideration. Heat can cause problems, and he should know it.