All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
smoberly
join:2012-06-11
Allen, TX

smoberly

if I cancel service, do I lose my att.net address...

I have been ready for quite some time to pull the trigger and cancel my AT&T service....the only thing holding me back is the att.net email address that I use for everything.

I assume if I cancel my service, I lose the email address....right?
ram1220
join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX

ram1220

I believe so. I'm about ready to pull the plug on the Uverse TV service. Hd is horrible. I'll probably keep the internet. Good luck from a fellow Allenite.
smoberly
Allen, TX

smoberly

thanks for the reply...I cancelled the Uverse TV quite some time ago....the DVR's were very unstable....numerous crashes....went with Time Warner cable cards and TiVo DVR's...

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to smoberly

Premium Member

to smoberly
I do believe you can continue to use your att.net email address for at least some time using their free yahoo! web service. It might even be indefinitely, but once you leave AT&T they can decide at any time to discontinue that service.

Quite frankly.... I saw this coming in 2000. That is the same year I registered my own domain name, and never looked back. Since then, I have changed provider about 4 times, moved internationally, and was able to retain my own email address.

It is hard to do, but once you "divorced" your e-mail from its provider, and are going with something more independent, albeit a free service like Google, or your own hosted services which can be as low as $3 a month, you will never look back. You can change provider whenever/wherever you want.
smoberly
Allen, TX

smoberly

that is what I have had several people tell me...I know it wil give me much more flexibility.....guess I need to make the tough choice and bite the bullet....just really tired of AT&T's poor service quality.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to smoberly

Premium Member

to smoberly
I decided a long time ago that I don't want to be married to any provider. Give me a decent TCP/IP connection with at least 1 public routable IP address (and IPv6 some time in the future), and I will provide my own services.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to smoberly

to smoberly
You keep your ATT.net email address forever until you choose to retire it, even if you cancel tv or Internet. You will lose POP access (antiquated client mail) after 60 days unless you pay yahoo a yearly fee. Web mail, IMAP, and SMTP will always work.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to smoberly

MVM

to smoberly
I canceled my AT&T service in April, 2011. My 'pacbell.net' email addresses still work. A remodel and a long hospital stay have separated me from the snail-mail notice from AT&T, but they stated the 'pacbell.net' accounts will work for a long time; probably until AT&T and Yahoo! dissolve their relationship.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to smoberly

to smoberly
I believe the policy is that your old email address is yours to keep indefinitely, but as someone already mentioned, AT&T might change this policy at any time. Right now, if I wanted to cancel my AT&T service, here's how I would probably handle the email situation - which is basically the same way you would handle postal mail if you moved.

1. Set up forwarding from your AT&T account to your new account.
2. Set up filtering on your new account (to a special folder or whatever) in a manner that makes it easy to see at a glance what was forwarded.
3. For things you know you want to keep receiving, go back to the source and update the email address to your new address
4. For whatever still gets forwarded, if you really care do about it, go back to the source and update the email address to your new address. If you don't care about it, either go back to the source and stop the emails, or just do nothing.
5. For as long as AT&T still honors your old email address, you're set; but if they dump you later, no great loss. And maybe after enough time has elapsed that all that's getting forwarded to you is junk, then cancel the forwarding.
coopertwist6
join:2004-09-16
Chicago, IL

coopertwist6 to smoberly

to smoberly
When I cancelled my account that I had tied to a att.net account they suspended the account and it gave me a message to port it over to a free yahoo account. If I did it within 60 days of canceling, all my old emails would be ported to the new yahoo account as well.

AT&T Service Cancellation

AT&T Yahoo! services Canceled.
You no longer have access to your AT&T Yahoo! account xxxx@att.net because your AT&T Yahoo! Internet services have been canceled. If you want to continue using your AT&T Yahoo! ID xxxx@att.net, please call AT&T Customer Service to reactivate your AT&T Yahoo! service.
To reactivate AT&T Yahoo! Dial, call 1-866-SBC-DIAL (1-866-722-3425).
To reactivate AT&T Yahoo! DSL, call 1-877-SBC-DSL5 (1-877-722-3755).
In case you forget your password, Yahoo! will help you. Take note of your Security Question, alternate email, date of birth and zip code. These fields will help you reset your password if you ever forget it.
If you do not want to reactivate your AT&T service, you can create a new free Yahoo! account and transfer your existing settings and personal information (for example, email messages, address book entries, and photos) to this new Yahoo! account.
Once the transfer is complete, your settings and personal information cannot be restored to your AT&T account xxx@att.net if you decide to reactivate it later.
If you take no action to transfer your account within 60 days of the cancellation of your AT&T account, your existing settings and personal information (for example, email messages, address book entries, photos) will be permanently deleted. If you have purchased additional premium services (such as a Yahoo! Personals subscription), those services will also be canceled.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

How long ago was this? I'm pretty sure that sometime in the fairly recent past they were spouting the "yours forever" line, but I may be mistaken, or they may have changed it already (they love to change things). Maybe this was just part of the various acquisitions they've done; I've still have my old bellsouth.net address, for example. I haven't really looked into it lately, though.
smoberly
Allen, TX

smoberly

I just called AT&T, and the rep told me that the email account would be de-activated after 30 days.

(I never really trust anything these people tell me because it seems every time I call, I get a different story).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to scross

MVM

to scross
I can't speak for the other poster, but I left AT&T about April, 2011. I received a letter via USPS announcing that my 'pacbell.net' accounts would be usable "indefinitely".

Today, a little over a year later, those accounts still work. I did not have to call anybody. I may have had to log in to each account after service termination and click some box to effect the transition. I don't recall that detail, but I did log into each as soon as I knew that the change to Sonic.net "Fusion" had taken effect.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to maartena

MVM

to maartena
said by maartena:

I do believe you can continue to use your att.net email address for at least some time using their free yahoo! web service. It might even be indefinitely, but once you leave AT&T they can decide at any time to discontinue that service.

Quite frankly.... I saw this coming in 2000. That is the same year I registered my own domain name, and never looked back. Since then, I have changed provider about 4 times, moved internationally, and was able to retain my own email address.

It is hard to do, but once you "divorced" your e-mail from its provider, and are going with something more independent, albeit a free service like Google, or your own hosted services which can be as low as $3 a month, you will never look back. You can change provider whenever/wherever you want.

This!

Take a look at Google Apps. They have a free version. You can attach your domain to them and get all the gmail features.