how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kbd13

join:2003-11-11
Mill Creek, PA

Lied to by Verizon agent and now lost my lifetime DSL price

Since 2007 I have had the DSL lifetime price of $27.99. On Monday of last week I called to see if I would bundle my Direct TV with phone and DSL would I still get the DSL for $27.99 if I dropped some services later. Well I let the agent talk me into bundle the phone and DSL to get a better price of $34.95 so he said but he lied to me. I called back in an hour or two to make sure of what my DSL speed I would be and found the price would $49.99. I told the girl to cancel the order and she said she did. The next thing is I get an email confirming my change. When I called again I was told my price could not be put back to the $27.99 because that was no longer offered. I tried the elite team but was told they could do nothing. I have no more than I had before and am now going to pay a higher price for my DSL.

Can anyone help me find someone in Verizon that will get this straightened out for me? Please give me a phone number or email address higher up in Verizon that can help me. This is not right what they have done to me!!!

Thanks

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

Submit a written complaint to the Federal Trade Commission. This sounds to me like a clear case of an "unfair and deceptive trade practice..."

And others should note; get it in writing. Never trust a sale rep; they are born err cloned with forked tongues.

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA

After many phone calls and many many hours I was told by the Verizon elite team that there was nothing they could do. Miss Mitchell from that group told me I have the right to complain to the FTC or what ever and the answer from them would still be the same.

I am retired now and am not knew to fighting with Verizon so that is what I will do.

I know this forum has some members that are or have been associated with Verizon. So if anyone out there can email me a phone number high up on the Verizon ladder so I can talk to them about this issue, please help me.

Here I am going to pay more for a service that is no more than I already have and was caused by a Verizon agent that just lied to me about the price. This sucks!

trp2525
Premium
join:2008-02-24
Fall River, MA
reply to kbd13

While I don't advocate being lied to by any customer service rep, you MAY be better off with the current Verizon pricing for DSL instead of the $27.99/month price that you got for a "lifetime" back in 2007. DSL prices have dropped over the years and since 2007 Verizon has added 7.1 Mbps, 10 Mbps and 15 Mbps DSL speed packages (providing you are close enough to the Central Office to get those speeds and various other factors).

I'm currently on the 7.1 DSL package along with Verizon Freedom Essentials phone service which includes unlimited local, regional & nationwide long distance calling, Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, 3-Way Calling and Home Voice Mail (where available). I am currently paying $54.99/month for this package plus approximately an additional $13/month for mandated taxes and fees. YMMV in your local Verizon area.

You can see the other Verizon DSL/phone bundles here: »www22.verizon.com/home/bundles/standard/. DSL/phone packages listed are High Speed Internet (0.5-1 Mbps) and Verizon Regional Essentials for $34.99/month, High Speed Internet (0.5-1 Mbps) and Verizon Freedom Essentials for $44.99/month and High Speed Internet Enhanced (1.1-3, 3.1-7 or 7.1-15 Mbps) and Verizon Freedom Essentials for $54.99/month. Again YMMV in your local Verizon area.

I've been a Verizon DSL customer since it was first offered in my area in 2000-2001 and back then I was paying $40/month just for DSL for a speed package of only 640 Kbps download. The point is that DSL prices have dropped over the years and speeds have increased so your 2007 "lifetime" pricing may no longer be a good deal and it might not be worth fighting over something that is no longer competitive in the current marketplace.

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY
reply to kbd13

I doubt he cares about the speeds. As long as he has some form of internet, it's good enough. Money speaks for alot of people.

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA
reply to trp2525

I probably would agree but being on an RT I am stuck with 3/768. I have called many times trying to get them to upgrade this area but they tell me there is no plans to do so.
The money is important but the why Verizon did this trick to me matter more at this time.

trp2525
Premium
join:2008-02-24
Fall River, MA
reply to loli

said by loli:

I doubt he cares about the speeds. As long as he has some form of internet, it's good enough. Money speaks for alot of people.

If what you say is true and that speed is not a factor for the OP and that as long as he has some form of internet it's good enough, Verizon currently offers DSL service of 0.5 to 1 Mbps for $19.99/month. That would be $8/month LESS for DSL at today's pricing compared to his "lifetime" price of $27.99 obtained in 2007. You can see this current DSL pricing schedule here: »www22.verizon.com/home/highspeed···t/plans/

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
·Vonage
reply to kbd13

Have you tried looking into other DSL service providers like »www.dslextreme.com/ ? Try inputting your address to see if it is available to you. If speed in not a major concern, they have to packages for less than Verizon.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

If the OP has Verizon DSL now then DSL extreme should be available. DSL extreme is a CLEC that buys wholesale from Verizon and resells. You can use your Verizon modem or modem/router as well if you own it. As far as speeds go 1-3 megs is plenty for regular surfing,email, and most normal usage. However if you have kids or heavy X-Box gamers and a house full of video streamers then speed is a concern.

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA

1 edit

I did look at DSL Extreme and they offer the 3/768 for $24.95/month on a year contract. That is what I am considering on doing.
I don't want to go any lower and would have liked to go higher for streaming HD but I know that is out. As I said earlier I am on a remote terminal and Verizon has no plans to upgrade.

I would still like to find a way to fight Verizon on this raw deal that they gave me. This kind of action on their part should not be allowed to happen to anyone.

Tell me folks, is there any resources out there that would come down on Verizon for these actions or am I just wasting my time with this fight??? I started to fill out the complaint online with the FTC but is it worth my time? My wife tell me to forget it but that is hard for me to do! Any ideas from other folks out there would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far!!!

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
reply to kbd13

said by kbd13:

Since 2007 I have had the DSL lifetime price of $27.99.

Can anyone help me find someone in Verizon that will get this straightened out for me? Please give me a phone number or email address higher up in Verizon that can help me. This is not right what they have done to me!!!

I don't know how you got a Lifetime price for DSL, even in 2007 DSL was obsolete equipment. Verizon was rolling out FiOS and wanted to get rid of Copper. These big Telco Companies have all their orders Mechanized, and they can't write in Old Equipment. Eventually you had to cut over to FiOS or change ISP's. So your best bet now is to get the best FiOS Package, and Verizon could probably offer you a good price, but not close to $27.99!

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to kbd13

I had an issue like this earlier this year whereby I was placed into a new plan (without my authorization) then when I tried to have them place me back into my previous plan I was told they cannot because that plan was no longer available. After afew phone calls and finally getting a manager (which is not easy, 3 calls and one lasted 2 hours) they gave me a credit for the difference between the old and new plans for the year (was like $100). After I hung up on that long phone call I laughed asking myself was all that worth $100...

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA
reply to alchav

Thanks for the reply.
FiOS in my rural area is almost a sure bet that we will never receive it. All Verizon wants to do is the wireless and forget about the wire or even the fiber. My bet is Verizon will sell off the wire here in PA. That is why I do not see them ever upgrading our DSL in this area to a higher speed than 3/768. If FiOS was available, I would sure look into that but that will be never in my area.

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA
reply to bohratom

I was told that the Elite Team was the highest level I could go and even if I file a complaint with the FTC the answer would be the same. I sure would like to prove the Elite Team members wrong!

sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Cox HSI
·ViaTalk

1 edit
reply to kbd13

Check your state laws. I live in a state that lets you record phone calls without telling the other person on the phone line.

Theres been a few people here that was able to get there house for free when they were lied to by the bank on there home refinance. They hit play in the court of law and the judge ruled the bank commited fraud which makes the loan nulled and void. Free house...

When dealing with insurance companies, banks, lawyers, and any other shady company. I hit record.
Tired of being burned in the past.

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA

I agree that I should have recorded the call but unsure if this legal in PA. I will need to find out and from now on do it if it is legal. I guess if it is not I can always ask if it is OK to record the conversation.
The trouble is, it is too late for this time where I was given the wrong information and now cheated out of the special price I had.

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA

Does anyone know the Verizon CEO's name and email address that would be over their broadband division? I will send an email or snail mail to them about this if I could find the address.

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC
reply to kbd13

I'm no lawyer. I wonder if you can make a small claims case out of this, but I don't know.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to norbert26

said by norbert26:

If the OP has Verizon DSL now then DSL extreme should be available. DSL extreme is a CLEC that buys wholesale from Verizon and resells. You can use your Verizon modem or modem/router as well if you own it. As far as speeds go 1-3 megs is plenty for regular surfing,email, and most normal usage. However if you have kids or heavy X-Box gamers and a house full of video streamers then speed is a concern.

Dsl Extreme looks like it has a lower dry loop price than what i am paying to Verizon. Who do you call if there are service issues? Does Verizon answer the phone or a DSL Extreme person?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA

I just called DSL Extreme to ask them questions today. If I understand them correctly, the girl said if I dropped my phone line with Verizon, it would take 2-4 weeks for an Extreme tech to come to my location for install and turn on. So based on that I would assume they would perform the service issues.

I guess if I decide to go that way, I will wait until I see how I make out with them handling my DSL service first. After I see if they are any good, I may try to drop my land line with Verizon. As this point, the why I feel about the way Verizon treated me, I want nothing to do with them.

I would call them! Also, check out DSL Extreme on DSL Reports

alchav

Saint George, UT

said by kbd13:

I just called DSL Extreme to ask them questions today. If I understand them correctly, the girl said if I dropped my phone line with Verizon, it would take 2-4 weeks for an Extreme tech to come to my location for install and turn on. So based on that I would assume they would perform the service issues.

I guess if I decide to go that way, I will wait until I see how I make out with them handling my DSL service first.

I hope you understand that DSL Extreme only handles Internet Access. If you drop Verizon Phone Service, you will have no Phone Line. Then there is no guarantee you will get the same Phone Number back. You can get an IP Phone, and Port your Phone Number to it. Try to understand how everything is put together, and make wise decisions.

norbert26
Premium
Warwick, RI
reply to kbd13

said by kbd13:

I guess if I decide to go that way, I will wait until I see how I make out with them handling my DSL service first. After I see if they are any good, I may try to drop my land line with Verizon. As this point, the why I feel about the way Verizon treated me, I want nothing to do with them.

STOP !!!!!! Take a deep breath. First of all DON'T shut your verizon phone off yet. Leave it running for a easier transition to DSL extreme dry loop and NO DOWNTIME. Make sure you have NO DSL contract with verizon and are going month to month. Go to the DSL extreme site prequalify the line and choose a tier. Use the easy transfer option. If all goes well your DSL service will transfer to DSL extreme without any downtime . If you use a PPPoe log in you will need to enter your DSL EXtreme user and your DSL extreme password and you should be online and good to go. Wait a little while and then contact DSL extreme and tell them you want to CONVERT the line to a dry loop. You want to stay on the SAME COPPER pair you just want to drop voice. It will take about 2 or 3 weeks but let DSL Extreme deal with converting to dry loop. DO NOT call verizon and cancel voice you can loose everything. DSL extreme must handle converting to dry loop. If goes well you will be converted to dry lop with NO downtime. There may be an additional $10 punishment fee added to your DSL for not having it attached to voice depending on your market. Example in my market its $14.95 first year for lets say the 1 meg plan. Its $24.95 Dryloop . Add a $2.88 line recovery fee passed on from verizon to DSL Extreme. However you will still save over the cost of maintaining voice on the line. Remember like Verizon if you have troubles Tech support is outsourced but there are very helpful folks in the DSL extreme forum at this site who can cut through stuff .

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
reply to kbd13

said by kbd13:

I did look at DSL Extreme and they offer the 3/768 for $24.95/month on a year contract.

I prequalify there at the same price, but in the fine print below, it says

All packages are also subject to a $2.88 Supplier Surcharge Recovery Fee which is comprised of Federal Universal Service Fund recovery fees that are still charged on core components within the DSL Extreme network as well as a supplier imposed surcharge which is not a tax or government imposed fee. View more information on our Supplier Surcharge Recovery Fee

So it's actually about $28/month. I'm thinking about switching to them when my 1 year contract expires, though, since my Verizon dry loop DSL price for 3/768 the past few years was $30/month but this year they raised it to $32.

othas3

join:2002-07-15
Los Angeles, CA
reply to kbd13

A similar thing happened with SBC and I lost my @pacbell.net domain. I cancelled a webhosting service, which I picked up on the side, and it cancelled my DSL. The tech was unable to simply turn my service back on even after escalation. I had to be treated like a new customer and the only way to get my old e-mail back would've been to restore (and pay for) the webhosting. I'm sure you'll find many people here who have similar stories. "Many moons ago, I had a service that was good, great and just. I either accidentally or purposefully cancelled it - no one knows anymore - but I could not get it back because it was no longer offfered."

Let it go. If you pursue this, you'll only find out that the sales rep got a bonus for getting you to cancel your legacy service. Move on!

alchav

Saint George, UT

1 edit
reply to kbd13

said by kbd13:

Since 2007 I have had the DSL lifetime price of $27.99. On Monday of last week I called to see if I would bundle my Direct TV with phone and DSL would I still get the DSL for $27.99 if I dropped some services later. Well I let the agent talk me into bundle the phone and DSL to get a better price of $34.95 so he said but he lied to me.

The Agent didn't lie to you, Verizon does have a Bundle for $35 of Phone and Internet, but because you are on a Remote it may not apply to you. You should have checked this out yourself before changing your Service. You can still save some money by going with a VoIP Phone and a different ISP.

kbd13

Mill Creek, PA

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess my wife is not the only one telling me to drop it because it just is not worth it. Although, this kind of action on the part of a company I trusted in and always paid my bills on time to just sucks in my opinion. So saying that I will move on I guess.

My next question to you folks is; where do I go from here? I have looked at Dsl Extreme but in looking at the Dsl Extreme forum it appears there are a lot of complaints about billing and service for this company. If anyone has any experience with this company please let me know your opinion. I hate to cut my nose off to spite my face just to get even with Verizon. I am going to ask question on the Dsl Extreme forum but would appreciate any help here if you can. If the Dsl Extreme does not work out I guess I would be better to bundle my services with Verizon so as to get the DSL at $30 rather than pay $35 for just the DSL.

Any advise from you all is welcome and thanks for being so honest and straight forward with me. My wife thanks you also!!

norbert26
Premium
Warwick, RI

said by kbd13:

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess my wife is not the only one telling me to drop it because it just is not worth it. Although, this kind of action on the part of a company I trusted in and always paid my bills on time to just sucks in my opinion. So saying that I will move on I guess.

My next question to you folks is; where do I go from here? I have looked at Dsl Extreme but in looking at the Dsl Extreme forum it appears there are a lot of complaints about billing and service for this company. If anyone has any experience with this company please let me know your opinion. I hate to cut my nose off to spite my face just to get even with Verizon. I am going to ask question on the Dsl Extreme forum but would appreciate any help here if you can. If the Dsl Extreme does not work out I guess I would be better to bundle my services with Verizon so as to get the DSL at $30 rather than pay $35 for just the DSL.

Any advise from you all is welcome and thanks for being so honest and straight forward with me. My wife thanks you also!!

i have had NO problems with DSL ectreme and conducted the following.
1) dumped Verizon DSL and went to DSL Extreme
2) Had DSL extreme convet same pair to dry loop.
There were NO mishaps and NO downtime OR billing issues. For me it worked out fine.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

VP of Customer Service Escalation Line for PA 412 804-6711

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

1 recommendation

reply to kbd13

said by kbd13:

I have looked at Dsl Extreme but in looking at the Dsl Extreme forum it appears there are a lot of complaints about billing and service for this company.

Keep in mind, that people generally only post there when they have a problem. The number of people posting there is a small percentage of DSLX customers. DSLX has employees monitoring the forum; they are usually responsive to problems posted there.

I'm not a DSLX customer, however, I've been monitoring the DSLX forum for the last several years.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:36
reply to kbd13

Just an FYI, in PA you have to notify the other party in order to record the conversation. There is a local policewoman currently on trial for not informing the other party. While many people have good service with CLEC's, be aware that when problems occur, there are times when the blame game goes back and forth between the CLEC and Verizon.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09