spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mkoenig

@communicomm.com

loss of internet problem even has the tech stumped. help?!?

have been a Communicom/recently-changed-to-Mediastream internet customer for 6 months with no problems. About 2 weeks ago, trouble started. I telecommute from home, so I'm online a lot. Around 5:30 pm, I would lose internet service. The modem seems to reset, searches for service & finds none. I would then unplug both the power and cable line, wait 30 seconds +/- and then plug back in. That did work 60% of the time. It has now progressed to the point where it starts around noon, unplugging the power and cable often doesn't work, and I'm without internet for the rest of the day/evening. I really only have internet a few hours a day now.

I have called Mediastream 4-5 times. They have been out 4 times. The tech has run a new line from the pole to the house, he's put new connectors in, he's replaced the modem. He is due out sometime today since we were without internet most of the weekend.

I do have a router hooked up to the modem. It is a Linksys BEFSX41. Then I have a wireless Netgear WGT624 router hooked into that as an access point. I have wondered if there is a problem with that setup. The tech says no, but I need to explore all options at this point. I did take the router out of the equation & hooked my work computer up directly to the modem at one point and still lost service.

My frustration level is at an all-time high, especially since, in the 13 years I've been telecommuting from areas all over the west, Mediacomm is the most expensive internet I've ever had. But I live in a very small town and my only other option is Centurylink/Qwest, which I avoid like the plague. Also, I've had very reliable internet service from cable companies in those 13 years. The outages have gotten to the point where it's affecting my job and my husbands job search.

Does anyone have any ideas? If anybody wants more details, I'd be happy to oblige. Thanks!

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

Sounds like a problem on the plant, around noon things heat up, problem arises, and remains til the day cools and your modem is able to resync?

What modem do you have and what are the lights doing when it is offline?

ski93

join:2005-02-14
Northwood, NH
reply to mkoenig

first confirm with neigbors to see if this is an issue that is local or if it simply the modem ranging for service and not locking back onto the data carrier..maybe borrow another modem and test or plug both in next to each other and see the results..let me know how you make out

BRCTECH

@ptd.net
reply to mkoenig

sounds like might be a noise issue. ingress might be interfering with the upstream, preventing the modem to lock on.