share rss forum feed

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

reply to r81984

Re: [Sci-Fi] Prometheus Imax 3D

said by r81984:

You have a skewed scale. I love scifi movies and dont mind some of the crappier ones, but this movie sucked.

As a sci-fi fan myself I have to ask what sort of movies do you like? I ask because science fiction is pretty broad and I notice some sci-fi fans like certain things while others look toward other stuff. Knowing what movies you love (and maybe why) would help get a better compass reading on our opinions of Prometheus.

Actually to you other sci-fi fans that have seen the movie if you can state your faves as well (and maybe why) it could go a long way for those of us wondering about the movie and seeing some wide disparity of opinions.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by SRFireside:

said by r81984:

You have a skewed scale. I love scifi movies and dont mind some of the crappier ones, but this movie sucked.

As a sci-fi fan myself I have to ask what sort of movies do you like? I ask because science fiction is pretty broad and I notice some sci-fi fans like certain things while others look toward other stuff. Knowing what movies you love (and maybe why) would help get a better compass reading on our opinions of Prometheus.

Actually to you other sci-fi fans that have seen the movie if you can state your faves as well (and maybe why) it could go a long way for those of us wondering about the movie and seeing some wide disparity of opinions.

For me,…

Prometheus brought me back to the original “Alien” movie which I really loved when it came out. All the basics were there, The strong female lead (although they juggled a lot of characters in Prometheus), the artificial life form (David) with a questionable agenda, and so on,….

It really recaptured the essence of the original for me,….

They say you can’t go back but for me it was close,….

Sure there were technical flaws but it was such a visually stunning movie and a great cast. That doesn’t make up for everything but it helps,…

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to SRFireside
Agreed. I tend to think people over think a movie and don't appreciate what is going on the screen.

For example the biologist playing with the alien "snake". How many different movies/times have we seen that played out? But it usually gets the same response from the viewer "No you idiot, don't do that".
We know, they know that an experienced biologist wouldn't do what that guy did. But then again consider the late Steve Irwin. He seemed to enjoy playing with dangerous animals.

I don't care if there is no chance at FTL, work hole travel, time travel, or if the science they are talking about can't exist. All I can about is it entertaining and fun.

If I want a factual movie, then I'd watch something from National Geographic or the Discovery channel.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·row44
said by Snakeoil:

Agreed. I tend to think people over think a movie and don't appreciate what is going on the screen.
(spoiler)

I don't care if there is no chance at FTL, work hole travel, time travel, or if the science they are talking about can't exist. All I can about is it entertaining and fun.

If I want a factual movie, then I'd watch something from National Geographic or the Discovery channel.

Scifi is not factual.
But in good scifi you set rules and play in those rules.
Every show has its own set of rules and physics.

Where Prometheus when wrong was they had no set rules. The writers just make random shit up as they went along.
The movie took a great plot and very poorly implemented trying to squeeze in their little snippets.
Its like several people independently wrote some events/scenes down on playing cards and shuffled them. Then randomly picked some cards in whatever order they were in and just made up stupid filler in between.
That is not good scifi. Hell it did not even have good action.
I have no idea who they wrote that movie for, but it was not scifi fans. Just think about the scifi you like and how you would feel if it were written like prometheus.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.