spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

toridds

join:2012-06-11

[Info] find lightning strike history

i need help finding out if lightening struck my actual office building last july, 2011 when the severe storms rolled through elmhurst il. people were without power for days.
i had some major equipment damage and my insurance company is using a loophole to avoid paying my claim.
help!! is there any way to find this out? there were 2 storm sets a week apart. 7-10/11 and 7/17-19 2011. there was also some severe storms end of june which could have contributed but i have no idea how to find this out. i'm the little guy and they don't care....

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1

said by toridds:

i need help finding out if lightening struck my actual office building last july, 2011 when the severe storms rolled through elmhurst il. people were without power for days.
i had some major equipment damage and my insurance company is using a loophole to avoid paying my claim.
help!! is there any way to find this out? there were 2 storm sets a week apart. 7-10/11 and 7/17-19 2011. there was also some severe storms end of june which could have contributed but i have no idea how to find this out. i'm the little guy and they don't care....

Nothing free...

'live' ligntning data is a paid service, and I'm not entirely aware of any historical data service, even paid... But there could be.

Also, lightning data is not really accurate enough to determine building by building hits, but it can tell you the frequency and general location and average number of strikes for a particular time frame.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to toridds

The insurance companies have (subscribe) to this data. But as Burner said it can't pinpoint to a building, but it will indicate if there was activity in the immediate area on the date of loss. I know our fire investigators also collect this data when investigating a suspected lighting caused fire.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
reply to toridds

Had CRAZY lightning and thunder last night...had to turn off/unplug the computer. The Tiki kittah was surprisingly calm, if a bit nervous. They had real-time video on the 11pm news...100's of local hits.

They had a strike counter going on the news too, but I think that was based off of their nextrad radar?

KHQ WEATHER AUTHORITY: Thunderstorms For Wednesday?
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

said by caffeinator:

They had a strike counter going on the news too, but I think that was based off of their nextrad radar?

The lightning locator and strike detector (same device) is a totally separate device from the Radar.