spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

atomant

@comcast.net

Canadian VPN ISP

I need a Canadian VPN to connect through so that the other end I'm connecting to cannot detect I am using a VPN. Is there a way of doing this? For example, if I used SomeRandomVPN.com the person I'm connecting to could resolve/google my IP address and see it is associated with SomeRandomVPN.com.

I think one possible way of getting around this is if there is a Canadian ISP that also does VPN services, it would hopefully be impossible to detect if I'm using them as an ISP or VPN.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
First of all, what EXACTLY are you trying to do here? Show up as a Canadian IP address? Access content
not normally visible in your region?

If either one of these ones, using a VPN is one way, or what's called a proxy service. Try your search
engine of choice to see what's out there.

Second of all, not sure what you mean by the comment "cannot detect [you are] using a VPN."

Regards

atomant

@comcast.net
reply to atomant
Yes, I need to show up as a Canadian IP address to access content unavailable in my area.

But, there is a catch. The content sites I am accessing will be checking my IP to verify I am not using a VPN/Proxy.

The VPNs that I found on Google gave their subscribers IP addresses that would resolve to their Company (for example, VPN.com or whatever). Which would make it pretty obvious I am using a VPN service.

Are there any ways of having a Canadian IP address without it showing up as a VPN/Proxy provider?

I was thinking if any Canadian ISPs offered VPN/Proxy in addition to their internet services, then it would be impossible to tell if I was using their VPN or if I was a regular cable/dsl subscriber.

Note: Money isn't a huge issue, but security is important.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to atomant
Not aware of any ISPs up in Canada that offer that kind of service. Two ideas off the top of my head are
a) finding someone with a Canadian ISP and able to set you up with a VPN connection you can 'bounce' your traffic
off of to access said content, or b) a variation of a) where you RDP into someone's computer who has a Canadian
ISP and access said content.

I'm really not sure how they can 'verify if you are coming from a VPN;' if it's a simple IP check / reverse
lookup, then there's no way around that. A public IPv4 address is a public IPv4 address.

Not sure if anyone else has any other ideas

Regards

eibgrad

join:2010-03-15
reply to atomant
I agree w/ Hellfire, if the service is willing to lookup the public IP you're using and is able to tie that back to a known VPN service, there's not much you can do about it. As he says, perhaps find a "buddy" who will allow you to jump off their own private VPN server. Come to think of it, I wonder if someone or some group hasn't done this already; provided some sort of VPN sharing among trusted members. It would be a cool idea.

The only other thing I can suggest is maybe using the TOR network ( »www.torproject.org/ ), which would not typically include well-known, fixed IPs. Unfortunately, while the TOR network provides anonymity, it does so at the expense of performance. It's an onion router, so you're passed through many systems/layers to make it impossible to backtrack your own public IP. I guess it falls somewhere in-between a public VPN service provider and a buddy offering you his own private VPN service.

atomant

@comcast.net
reply to atomant
Well, like I said I don't know anyone in Canada. But if any trusted members on here would be willing to let me run a small VPN at their place I could pay $50/month. The bandwidth would be minimal.

eibgrad

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to atomant
And how would you verify whether any member was trustworthy? Remember, it's not just whether they should trust you (I'm sure many here are savvy enough to isolate any such VPN server from the rest of their own network), but you have to trust THEM! Everything you do over the VPN will be visible to the VPN provider unless you're using secure protocols (e.g., https/SSL). That's why it's not that simple. You need some sort of "trust model", not just the empty words of anyone here. I'm not suggesting these ppl don’t exist, only that there's no easy way to do it. The same problem exists when using a commercial VPN provider. Most ppl just *ASSUME* they can be trusted merely because they’re a well-known, public entity. But the truth is, they could be a nefarious or rogue company, or the police, etc. It's only their reputation earned over many years that amount to anything, and even that's questionable until we see their response to a subpoena. I don’t mean to sound paranoid. I only want to emphasize that it’s tricky and you need to be very careful about using *any* VPN provider, public or private.

atomant

join:2012-06-17
reply to atomant
Thanks for your feedback eibgrad, I share your concerns. All of the content would be over SSL, this would keep the VPN provider from seeing any of my traffic correct?

Also, to anyone interested, I could set up the PC and send it to you; you would just have to plug it in and set it in the corner somewhere. And the content is a game that takes very little bandwidth.

eibgrad

reply to atomant
Well they wouldn’t be able to see the “data” portion of your traffic, but they would always be able to see the headers, including your source and destination IPs. So they would (just like your current VPN provider) be able to monitor your activity at that level. Not necessarily a problem, but just something to be aware of. It could even be a good thing since they could restrict access to your source IP (as an additional security measure).

Remember, the bandwidth available to you is based on your partner's UPLOAD side, not download side. In my case, I have a very modest plan to keep my costs low, a measly 256Kbps upload (painfully slow at times). So someone w/ a symmetric internet connection might be a better choice. For gaming purposes, latency (ping time) will prove an important factor too. Even under the best of conditions, you always run the risk of increased latency whenever your partner is actively downloading (you end up in the queue like everything else, but a particularly *friendly* partner might be kind enough to use QoS to give you priority). Yeah, it can get complicated. A public VPN service, at least a good one, takes care of all these details for you. Anyway, be sure to test the connection before over-committing. Good luck.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to atomant
Suggest the OP sign in so as to receive pms etc.

atomant

join:2012-06-17
reply to atomant
Thanks, I did now. Clicking on the name on this post I believe allows PMs, but clicking the name on the OP will not.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to atomant
eibgrad covered it pretty good about trusting the VPN endpoint, and the operator as well.

Also keep in mind about SSL is that it's not a magic key that hides everything. So long as someone owns or
has access to the SSL key used by the VPN -- and no operator in their right mind'd not have easy access to
the key in question -- can easily decrypt the traffic traversing their network, etc.

Regards

eibgrad

1 edit
reply to atomant
^ Yes, the operator of the VPN would obviously have access to THEIR private key for the VPN, but that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to the data being encrypted BEFORE it enters the VPN (so you're encrypting twice, the VPN encrypts the encrypted data). So if you make an https (SSL) request over the VPN to say, Amazon or eBay, to complete a purchase, the VPN operator can NOT easily decrypt that SSL traffic. You’re no more or less safe using https across the VPN than anywhere else on the Internet. The danger for the user of any VPN is when the data portion of their request is NOT encrypted before entering the VPN.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to atomant
A proxy might help ya. I got one setup on our server, I use it when I am at the hospital to get around their filters because they are so restrictive it even slows down the internet.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.