how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sir Raleigh
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-31
Raleigh, NC

[Need Info] Do I Really Want To Install AOL AIM?

I have Time Warner Cable as my telephone supplier and I find I can have Caller ID display on my PC but only if I install AOL AIM.

BUT, do I really want to install AIM just to get Caller ID on my PC?

Is it bloatware?

As far as I know that's all I would use it for.

Thanks for any help/advice.
--
I used to know all this stuff.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

Is it worth knowing who is calling you for all the crap that it will add to your system and how much it could slow you down?

I haven't used AIM in years and at that time it was a major POS but then again anything with AOL tied to it was and in my opinion still is.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Sir Raleigh

Put a cheap landline phone near your computer, problems solved, and you likely already have one probably in a box somewhere not being used. I have at least one corded landland phone, but I don't use a landline anymore.

Sir Raleigh
Premium,MVM
Raleigh, NC

VegasMan,

I've never liked anything connected with AOL either.

However, recently we have been getting a rash of "800 Service" calls and I don't have a phone near the computer so I have to get up and go into the kitchen or living room to look at the Caller ID before I answer/or not.

LlitzenZeus,

You are right, I do have a lot of old phones in boxes, but none of them has Caller ID on them. I even had to get my wife one of those Caller ID boxes to put next to her phone which is probably around 30 years old.

I might try to find a cheap one with Caller ID at Big Lots or Family Dollar next time I go there.
--

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to Sir Raleigh

Do you have a modem in your PC, and the phone line connected to it, or how does this AOL solution work? There are a fair number of relatively simple (and free) CallerID display programs, but they all rely on your phone line plugged into a modem on the PC.
I wrote my own that does blocking and notification.

Brad.
--
RipNet (wireless) -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running Win 2008 R2, Win2003, Vista, Win7 & XP, plus miscellaneous devices.

Sir Raleigh
Premium,MVM
Raleigh, NC

Hi Brad,

No modem on this computer.

I have the bundle from Time Warner (Internet, TV, Phone). Right now when the phone rings I can get the caller ID info displayed on the TV, but the TV is not always on, so I have to look at one of the phones. However, there is no phone in the computer room, so I have to get up and go into the living room or kitchen to look at the caller ID.

I may have to get a cheap wired phone with caller ID just for the computer room.
--

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to Sir Raleigh

Yeah, it looks like you'll need a hardware solution. You may want to consider catching a sale on a decent multi-handset cordless phone. Then only the base unit needs to be connected to the wall, and you can put the remote handsets anywhere you want, and carry them around. That's definitely not as cheap, but more flexible.
--
RipNet (wireless) -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running Win 2008 R2, Win2003, Vista, Win7 & XP, plus miscellaneous devices.

Sir Raleigh
Premium,MVM
Raleigh, NC

I already have a 4-set cordless phone on order, but I failed to notice it did not verbally announce the ID when I ordered it. Each of the remote units already has a place selected for it; living room (base), kitchen, and the bedroom and my work shop which are up stairs. Still leaves the computer room without a phone which is where I am 90% of the time. My wife usually answers the phone since most of our real calls are from the kids.

I can usually find some cheap corded phone at local discount stores for $10 or less. Much cheaper than buying a 5th remote for the cordless phone I have on order.
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

4 edits
reply to Sir Raleigh

I have aim 5.5.3598ca (Canadian)

I got the canadain version because there is NO GAMES,NO CRAP in it which i like.. (The reg version of 3598 has games,BOGGED MY COMPUTER DOWN,etc cause of all the crap it has in it! (And they get even worse after that!! -- BLOATED,CONNECTED WITH FACEBOOK,ETC...... No good at all..... (I dont think my version can connect with facebook users thankfully)))

I like the version I have (I removed the stock and news tickers when i first got it (Just deleted the control files)) and before this one I had 5.2.3277 which was also VERY NICE.. I only got 3598 because i found the canadian version WITH NO GAMES,etc otherwise i wouldnt have.... (Its just gotton worse and worse after 5.2.3277 -- UNWANTED STUFF IN IT (Games,more bloated,etc))

Of all the IM clients i have ever tried,I LIKE AIM THE BEST

Sir Raleigh
Premium,MVM
Raleigh, NC

Thanks Dude111.

Too bad Time Warner won't use Google Talk for the Caller ID because I have that installed already, but I don't think it will ever happen since they are competitors.

Still think I'll look for a cheap handset with Caller ID on it for now.
--