Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 recommendation

thedragonmas

Premium Member

[Cable TV] Mediacom and PBS getting the run around!

here we go again with the run around. I've complaind before about our PBS being in SD when its clearly marked as HD here »www.mediacomtoday-lineup ··· ees.aspx call mediacom about it "oh we dont support ClearQAM youl need to rent one of our box's" NO! i will NOT rent one of your dang box's! my TV has a built in HD digital tuner, i will not rent one of your box's just so You can increase your profit margine and upsale me on other channels because the stupid thing would "lag" on any "not authorized" channels!.. talk to PBS about it and you get the run around that "we provide the signale......." so far heres my email exchange with PBS.. (note, ive removed the part in the chain where my contact info was requested and my reply with said info)
To: Ask GPB
Subject: mediacom HD feed?

Hi, I'm down in albany ga (31707) using mediacom basic cable, as I am not able to pick up OTA channels ever since that digital transition. However mediacom does not have an HD feed for my PBS station. how come? its listed as 112.1 however that channel just has a copy of the SD feed, that, or your pillar boxing the tv shows which considering many of your HD broadcasts clearly go "off screen" is more likely. Will you ever provide this is true HD? thank you.

paul, albany ga.

--------------------------------------

Mr. Paul,

I am sorry you are not getting the HD quality programming. However, GPB is transmitting an HD signal and most cable companies make it available for their customers. On another note, some televisions are not digital ready and may need assistance from the cable company to rectify the matter. Therefore, I called your cable company customer service department to gather information for you. I spoke to Eric and he is will to help you if you still need more assistance after you finish reading this note. He said that they provide the HD signal with even the basic service and if your TV still has issues, they can add a digital receiver for a small fee of ninety-nine cents ($0.99). You would be able to get HD PBS on channel 808. Eric said you are welcome to call or email Mediacom about this if needed. Their contact information is as follows: 1-800-332-0245 or e-mail Eric at [email addy removed]. If you need more help from GPB, please e-mail or just let us know how if everything comes out fine with Mediacom. Thanks for contacting us and we are always willing to help.

--------------------------------------

Thank you but im not interested in the HD box, I'm referring to the HD ClearQAM feed. I honestly do not want to rent a box, our local NBC affiliate (112.3) provides an HD signal (1080i 16:9), both of my TVs are HD with built in digital tuners (true HD not just SDTV as was common just prior to "the big switch"). The box rental is nothing more than a way to get people to subscribe to other services. I've had their digital service before and even 808 is only a copy of the SD feed. mediacom does not officially support the ClearQAM digital feeds with out the rental of a box, and that is why Mr Eric pushed the the digtal converter. Why rent a digital converter when both of my TV's have digital tuners in them? while GPB may be providing the digital feed, the ClearQAM "HD" feed (as reported by mediacom as 112.1) is not in HD, it is only in 480i (4:3) you can see mediacoms ClearQAM channel listing here »www.mediacomtoday-lineup ··· ees.aspx at the very bottom of the page. Honestly I'm getting the run around. all mediacom wants to do is up sale their service, and all GPB wants to do is push the issue off on to mediacom.

ok so MAYBE i could have worded this all better, but this has been a nagging issue for me for years. heck it took several years to get them to finally fix the constant up,down,up,down audio issue. i just want my PBS in HD with OUT renting a box. is that so much to ask for?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Our head end feed is showing SD on both as well. There is definitely a problem and we are getting this escalated. I will keep you posted as to when we hear back.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by MediacomChad:

Our head end feed is showing SD on both as well. There is definitely a problem and we are getting this escalated. I will keep you posted as to when we hear back.

thank you!

her reply was for me to buy a Y10 outdoor mast mount antenna, as a renter and legally blind person id need to have that professionally installed ($300 - $500) she said that is what their techs use in the field to test for reception. im amazed at that, its usually the poor and renters that CANT install an outdoor antenna (cost, no access, or the thought of paying $300+ only to have to leave all of that equipment when they move and pay it all over again) so i dont see why they dont use a table top antenna. heck even antennaweb shows id need a mast mount. thats just not going to happen (thank you "big switch")

i was just frustrated because after that switch their audio got messed up. constantly variating, that took me almost 2 years to get some one to fix, hell its still not really "fixed" as the audio for that channel is about 2X as loud as channels around it (thats a nice feeling at 2am with insomnia when you think you have the volume nice and low then switch to that channel forgetting to turn the volume down some more, OOPS!)

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hopefully I will have more information soon. I will keep you posted.
WhatHappened
join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

as a renter and legally blind person

Don't get me wrong, I think Mediacom has a responsibility by FCC rules to get this station in HD.

But you must be the first legally blind person I have ever heard complaining about SD vs HD. My mom who has fully corrected vision can't seem to tell the difference (she is over 70 if that matters).

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by WhatHappened:

said by thedragonmas:

as a renter and legally blind person

Don't get me wrong, I think Mediacom has a responsibility by FCC rules to get this station in HD.

But you must be the first legally blind person I have ever heard complaining about SD vs HD. My mom who has fully corrected vision can't seem to tell the difference (she is over 70 if that matters).

ha yeah i sit about a foot from the tv to see anything, but the problem is when an HD program is on, and they show something near the edge it gets cut off, and they clearly think they are in the shot. and going by the logo i think it really is being letter boxed some how and in such a way that its cutting off part of the video.

its just very annoying. from a visual aspect (20/400 both eyes) i cant tell the different from SD to HD just that ones wide screen and the other isnt. (in other words 480i 1080i, same thing to me visually)
thedragonmas

thedragonmas to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
any more info on this? (trying to keep the PBS rep up to date)

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
I was just told this issue has been resolved as of today.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA

thedragonmas

Premium Member

just checked, yup 1080i and they fixed the audio too! thanks chad

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
Glad to hear it's working! Let me know if you need anything else

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by MediacomChad:

Glad to hear it's working! Let me know if you need anything else

that was kind of short lived lol, its been "choppy" all day, gotten worse thru out the day actually, it will be on a few seconds then off for a few seconds. one of my tv's wont even bother showing it (its a very picky tv, if it doesnt get a solid signale it just wont show the channel at all)

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

Check all the splittersIf you rent see if you can get a tech to check your signal at your main box

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by IowaMan:

Check all the splittersIf you rent see if you can get a tech to check your signal at your main box

its only that one channel, no others are having issues. its the channel. it didnt have the "glitching" untill they switched it to HD, it was fine for a bit then to day this. ah well i figure theyl get it all figured out sooner or later. (i mean, i cant be the ONLY person in town watching this channel, right?)

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I checked your signals and I am still seeing some bad fluctuation. It might be best for us to try and get a technician out.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

signal issues again? (frustration)

i appreciate you taking a look but right now is not a good time, i literally just quit smoking, cold turkey, no patches gum or pills. my temperament needless to say wont be the most pleasant to be around. on top of that ive got social anxiety disorder, just talking to people on the phone gives me panic attacks, just imagine what having some one in my home does to me.

now if they didnt have to come in my home that would be a different story, but i know thats not the case, theyl need to test at the farthest tv. (they usually only test once, go up the pole, then leave)

in the mean time, can you please tell me why i have to have my sig's adjusted ~2x a year (on average) ? i get the cables expand/contract with seasonal temp changes, but i would think the system would be designed to handle that.

for now i think i can deal with it (at least until i get over the nicotine withdraws) since its only effecting that one channel.
Whiznot
join:2005-08-23
Albany, GA

Whiznot to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
Wow. Thanks alot Chad and thedragonmas. I always wondered why my PBS clear qam signal was only 480i.
Expand your moderator at work