All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

greenman
join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

greenman to andre2

to andre2

Re: spam from magicJack (advertising email, can't unsubscribe)

Sorry this is happening for you. So far, I haven't received any magicJack spam.

I wonder: when you hover over links in the email, do the addresses that popup in your email link to magicJack.com or some other bogus site?
andre2
join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

2 edits

andre2

said by greenman:

I wonder: when you hover over links in the email, do the addresses that popup in your email link to magicJack.com or some other bogus site?

There are 4 identical links, namely

»www.magicjack.com/action ··· ringhere (I substituted the long unique identifier string)

Here is most of the message text:

Many of the original magicJack customers have requested that their current plan
of the original magicJack be transferable to a new magicJack PLUS. We have
decided to help you do just that.

We believe that you should have the option of using your magicJack with, or
without a computer, and that's why we invented the magicJack PLUS. The new
magicJack PLUS is a computer on a chip and can be enhanced in the future with
upgrades. It's also the reason we will not be selling the original magicJack by
the end of this year and only selling new products and services like the
magicJack PLUS.

*You can now choose to move all of your years from your original old magicJack
to a new magicJack PLUS. If you decide you still Love your old magicJack you may
simply purchase a new magicJack PLUS which comes with a free year of service and
keep your original magicJack. It's your decision whether to transfer or not
transfer the years and you can decide at registration so there's nothing to fret
over now.*

With the new magicJack PLUS, you can use your magicJack just like you always
have or just plug it into the wall and Internet(without computer). Now you have
a choice which makes it even easier to use.

This will be the your final chance to upgrade at such a reduced price (half
price) and this offer is only available for the next 48 hours. Of course, you
will also receive our thirty day Free trial.

*Please note*: We have limited amount of magicJack PLUS in the warehouse and you
might have to wait if you don't act now, so please don't delay.

We continue to be incredibly proud of our products and services. If you have an
Apple device, please download our free app and use your phone number on a iPad,
iPod Touch, iPhone, etc. Android app will be out in June.

Thank you so much for being a Loyal customer and we thank you for the
opportunity to help you save hundreds of dollars.

Dan Borislow
CEO magicJack, Inventor and Founder

The last time I got a similar email was December 7, 2011. The link was similar except the unique identifier in the link was

»www.magicjack.com/action ··· ntidhere (I substituted the 7 digit account ID)

That email didn't even pretend to have an unsubscribe link.
Nailgunner
join:2010-09-28

Nailgunner

That is not a spam email, in the purest sense anyway. That is the official offer sent out to users mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

»Old Magic Jack to Magic Jack Plus???
andre2
Brookline, MA

andre2

said by Nailgunner:

That is not a spam email, in the purest sense anyway. That is the official offer sent out to users mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

But as I said before, I haven't been a user for over a year. In addition, they sent it to both my original MJ email and the one I changed to before letting the subscription expire. They apparently send it to any email any of their customers have ever used, even if they are no longer users, and don't provide any working means of unsubscribing, which makes it spam.
Nailgunner
join:2010-09-28

Nailgunner

said by andre2:

said by Nailgunner:

But as I said before, I haven't been a user for over a year. In addition, they sent it to both my original MJ email and the one I changed to before letting the subscription expire. They apparently send it to any email any of their customers have ever used, even if they are no longer users, and don't provide any working means of unsubscribing, which makes it spam.

I did not receive the offer. I did had my email preference set to "off". So maybe as you guessed earlier, toggling in on and off will fix your issue.

The fact that they may not have good control over their email database would not be very surprising. I still don't see a legitimate offer to those that are customers, or who they think are still customers, as being spam. It's certainly nothing that hitting a delete button every 6 months when they make an offer can't fix.
andre2
Brookline, MA

andre2

said by Nailgunner:

I did not receive the offer. I did had my email preference set to "off". So maybe as you guessed earlier, toggling in on and off will fix your issue.

I think the chances of it making any difference are remote, especially since the old address, which is no longer associated with the MJ account, got the email as well. It's good that they only send the offer every 6 months, but then again it's easier to get away with not having a working unsubscribe method if they're spaced out like that. They certainly have the resources to test one of their emails to make sure the links all work before sending them in bulk, if they wanted to. I predict that in 6 months, when they send out the next batch, the unsubscribe link (if there is one) still won't work.