spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nailgunner

join:2010-09-28
reply to andre2

Re: spam from magicJack (advertising email, can't unsubscribe)

That is not a spam email, in the purest sense anyway. That is the official offer sent out to users mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

»Old Magic Jack to Magic Jack Plus???

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
said by Nailgunner:

That is not a spam email, in the purest sense anyway. That is the official offer sent out to users mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

But as I said before, I haven't been a user for over a year. In addition, they sent it to both my original MJ email and the one I changed to before letting the subscription expire. They apparently send it to any email any of their customers have ever used, even if they are no longer users, and don't provide any working means of unsubscribing, which makes it spam.

Nailgunner

join:2010-09-28
said by andre2:

said by Nailgunner:

But as I said before, I haven't been a user for over a year. In addition, they sent it to both my original MJ email and the one I changed to before letting the subscription expire. They apparently send it to any email any of their customers have ever used, even if they are no longer users, and don't provide any working means of unsubscribing, which makes it spam.

I did not receive the offer. I did had my email preference set to "off". So maybe as you guessed earlier, toggling in on and off will fix your issue.

The fact that they may not have good control over their email database would not be very surprising. I still don't see a legitimate offer to those that are customers, or who they think are still customers, as being spam. It's certainly nothing that hitting a delete button every 6 months when they make an offer can't fix.

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
said by Nailgunner:

I did not receive the offer. I did had my email preference set to "off". So maybe as you guessed earlier, toggling in on and off will fix your issue.

I think the chances of it making any difference are remote, especially since the old address, which is no longer associated with the MJ account, got the email as well. It's good that they only send the offer every 6 months, but then again it's easier to get away with not having a working unsubscribe method if they're spaced out like that. They certainly have the resources to test one of their emails to make sure the links all work before sending them in bulk, if they wanted to. I predict that in 6 months, when they send out the next batch, the unsubscribe link (if there is one) still won't work.