Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GrandMstrBud

join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

1 recommendation

[IA] Mediacom shut me off

Dumb bastards shut me off for some copyright crap. Well good reddens and hell I may just turn off a few business accounts and put them on DSL just because I can.

wpbear

join:2011-02-17
Cataula, GA
Shutting off internet if there is no other HSI provider at the address should be illegal! That would be the same as turning my water or power off if I grew hydroponic weed and got caught.

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
Were you downloading copyright material?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

1 recommendation

reply to wpbear
said by wpbear:

Shutting off internet if there is no other HSI provider at the address should be illegal! That would be the same as turning my water or power off if I grew hydroponic weed and got caught.

No, not the same. You need water to be able to live. You don't need HSI to live. Even when they throw your butt in jail for growing weed, they will supply you with water to drink. They won't supply you with HSI in jail. LOL!
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
I wasn't but who's to say someone else wasn't in the house. Oh well their loss I guess and it won't be just my account too.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11
reply to GrandMstrBud
sorry to hear that

jostran

@mchsi.com
reply to GrandMstrBud
Its actually a law created by the federal government. I don't fully agree with it, but Mediacom's hands are tied when it comes to this law. I'm sure they don't want to lose your business either. If you get 3 strikes at your next HSI company you will also be banned so don't take too many chances with Qwest or whatever its called now.

DMCA Act
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mi···ight_Act

ThaR

@kvet.ch
> I wasn't but who's to say someone else wasn't in the house.

If you're the person responsible for billing, you are. You're not a service provider, you can't claim safe harbor for people in your household.

If you want to claim ignorance and wave your hands about "other people", you would need more than a residential cable modem service.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to jostran
That's bullshit. They need to forward the information but they don't have to ban you. That's Mediacom policy.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
said by Anonymous:

That's bullshit. They need to forward the information but they don't have to ban you. That's Mediacom policy.

this the DMCA law only states they have pass the notice on to you at that point the ISP's hands are clean
DMCA is a CIVIL matter

banning users is some thing mediacom cam up with most likely at the behest of the RIAA/MPAA

also DMCA take-down is only notice of ALLEGED infringement
which imo makes banning and 3 strikes stuff bullshit

even worse is any one can clam infringement and have a DMCA take down sent out

guy at work pissing you off if there on mediacom all you need is his IP and and you can send 3 DMCA take downs his way and he will be banned
regardless if there even legit or not

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
I honestly don't care anymore it's saving me a bill I can use a data card or use the neighbors myself. Plus mediacoms business accounts are ridiculously expensive so gives me a reason to switch a few of those out to century link now. It just pisses me off in a way because I've had mediacom for over 12 years now for my internet. I don't use them for TV or phone just internet.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

said by GrandMstrBud:

Dumb bastards shut me off for some copyright crap. Well good reddens and hell I may just turn off a few business accounts and put them on DSL just because I can.

HAHA good luck with that. Most ISP do it. Especially since some new bills have been passed even more will. Learn to do it safely and you won't get caught.

said by drslash:

said by wpbear:

No, not the same. You need water to be able to live. You don't need HSI to live. Even when they throw your butt in jail for growing weed, they will supply you with water to drink. They won't supply you with HSI in jail. LOL!

Exactly. Internet is a privilege, not a right or a need. You do stupid things and get caught, you have to pay the consequences.

said by GrandMstrBud:

I honestly don't care anymore it's saving me a bill I can use a data card or use the neighbors myself. Plus mediacoms business accounts are ridiculously expensive so gives me a reason to switch a few of those out to century link now. It just pisses me off in a way because I've had mediacom for over 12 years now for my internet. I don't use them for TV or phone just internet.

Even funnier your going to CL. They shut you off for copyright infringement as well. Guess you'll be switching to someone new again soon.

Google safe ways to download things. You'll be amazed.

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
I'm not talking about switching to DSL to download anything I'm doing it because I can and because if they want to shut off a customer of 12 years for some bogus crap that's their loss. I myself am not getting DSL I'm just going to switch some business accounts out to DSL just because they pissed me off. I myself wasn't downloading anything but they don't care so neither do I and it's their loss. There's plenty of open WiFi in my area so I can use that or use a data card. The ones in my household are the ones SOL and they can figure out on their own how to get internet, damn teenagers.

lhollow

join:2010-12-02
IL
said by GrandMstrBud:

There's plenty of open WiFi in my area so I can use that or use a data card. The ones in my household are the ones SOL and they can figure out on their own how to get internet, damn teenagers.

If they don't change their behavior, they will follow your lead, connect to your neighbors' WIFI, and get them shut off too.

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
Yeah they could but you can only do so much especially when friends come over and they seen open networks. But for me one less bill to worry about a month is how I'll look at it. I get 8mb down and 2mb up on a data connection so for me it doesn't matter and it's locked down from all the kids. I just need my laptop and netflix in all reality for myself.

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
said by GrandMstrBud:

There's plenty of open WiFi in my area so I can use that

So you're going from one crime/offense to another one. Since it is illegal to connect to another WiFi network without permission.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_o···d_States

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
Since when is it illegal to connect to it if they leave it wide open? What's the point of locking your WiFi network then if it's illegal? It's not that hard to clone a MAC address but if your not smart enough to lock down your WiFi then that's your problem

lepazoga

join:2012-06-15
Springfield, MO
reply to GrandMstrBud
Become anonymous. Use this service:

»hidemyass.com/

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
Perhaps you need to educate yourself with the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act that does say that connecting to open wifi without permission is illegal. On top of that, gaining access by spoofing a MAC address is illegal too.

IOWA
§ 716A.1 Definitions
§ 716A.2 Unauthorized access
§ 716A.3 Computer damage defined
§ 716A.4 Computer damage in the first degree
§ 716A.5 Computer damage in the second degree
§ 716A.6 Computer damage in the third degree
§ 716A.7 Computer damage in the fourth degree
§ 716A.8 Computer damage in the fifth degree
§ 716A.9 Computer theft defined
§ 716A.10 Computer theft in the first degree
§ 716A.11 Computer theft in the second degree
§ 716A.12 Computer theft in the third degree
§ 716A.13 Computer theft in the fourth degree
§ 716A.14 Computer theft in the fifth degree
§ 716A.15 Chapter not exclusive
§ 716A.16 Printouts admissible as evidence

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
I will get right on that

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to lepazoga
I know how to hide myself if I was downloading movies or whatever but I don't need to really I mean redbox is $1 and I don't do games but I guess I didn't teach the kids how to do that. Oh well their loss and now my gain by one less bill.

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
Mediacom is a joke, they shut me off and want me to pay a $240 termination fee when I've had the service for a year? Technically I've been with them for over 12 years I just got some promotional deal. Now lets see how many friends I can get off them worthless company

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by GrandMstrBud:

Mediacom is a joke, they shut me off and want me to pay a $240 termination fee when I've had the service for a year? Technically I've been with them for over 12 years I just got some promotional deal. Now lets see how many friends I can get off them worthless company

It would be awesome if you could get all two of your friends off of mediacom!!!

--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
Haha, will you be one of them? Pretty please... I have people asking me all the time what to get and always referred mediacom because well they are fast compared to DSL but not anymore. When your in IT/IS people tend to ask for opinions on things. I'm sure it won't put a hurt on mediacom by any means but one persons bad luck with a service then word can get around so I'll do my part. Now it's not the cancelling part it's the ETF, I asked them 6 months ago what it would be and they said 150 and it went up to 240? Then when I call all I get is I don't know why they would have told you that.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
said by GrandMstrBud:

Haha, will you be one of them? Pretty please... I have people asking me all the time what to get and always referred mediacom because well they are fast compared to DSL but not anymore. When your in IT/IS people tend to ask for opinions on things. I'm sure it won't put a hurt on mediacom by any means but one persons bad luck with a service then word can get around so I'll do my part. Now it's not the cancelling part it's the ETF, I asked them 6 months ago what it would be and they said 150 and it went up to 240? Then when I call all I get is I don't know why they would have told you that.

No mediacom available here...

Wish there was. Charter is far worse, and I'm 3 miles away from FiOS in Fort Worth, TX.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
The highest DSL for me is 3mb not even worth 10 bucks a month let alone 40. I get 8mb down and 2.5 to 3mb up on a 4G hotspot so it works for me. I don't have a limit so I'm good. It works for nearly everything but I can't get slingbox to work but I haven't used it in months anyway

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to GrandMstrBud
still say medicom should only be passing on DMCA requests
again a DMCA request is not proof of guilt it only a statement of ALLEGED infringement
also many courts have said an IP address is not proof of identity
Medicom is over stepping here to protect there tv profits

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to GrandMstrBud

Two words about this rant---

Ho Hum