how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buildersboy

join:2009-07-10
Dunnellon, FL

ZyXEL P660HN-51 DSL Gateway

Does anybody have one of these as a at&t customer? Thoughts? Will ipv6 work with it or will it have to be an at&t supported gateway?

TIA

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by buildersboy:

Does anybody have one of these as a at&t customer? Thoughts? Will ipv6 work with it or will it have to be an at&t supported gateway?

TIA

first time I've heard of that unit.

either way, it won't be supported by ATT and ipv6 with them will still be spotty since they're not exactly deploying it nationwide, much less activating it.

buildersboy

Dunnellon, FL

1 edit
reply to buildersboy

OK this has been the a tough cookie to crack. Out of the box it will NOT work with at&t. The configuration is beyond a simple admin's mind can handle...I almost gave up and was going to send it back.

Zyxel's tech support has limited hours and only open until 5pm PT and M-F only. One call so far and what I have discovered today did not come from the gods at Zyxel. They do not even realize these units hit amazon.com for consumer purchase. These are for ISP's really. ZyXel tech support telephone number is 1-800-255-4101 option 5.

The firmware on the device out of box will never get you online! Go to »ftp://ftp.zyxel.com and find the p-660hn-51. You will see the firmware folder in there. Save the .rar file and unzip it with WinRAR which can be found via google. After that you will find the .bin file and read the adobe notes...well gee it is for at&t from the notes. If you try to update the firmware with the .rar file it will fail so you must decompress the file or like unzip it.

Hope this helps the fools like me who purchased this. The unit works now but seems a little buggy. Now to call back tech support to teach them a few things.

buildersboy

Dunnellon, FL
reply to buildersboy

I will post more on this later...cheers!!

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to buildersboy

what made you choose this unit?

the Motorola 3347 has been the modem of choice here.

buildersboy

Dunnellon, FL

I do not use at&t branded equipment and feel they have way too much control over how we configure our networks.

At this time unit is running solid, no wireless issues or dropped connections. This unit has unbelievable options for a tech savvy individual as myself.

Firmware updating instructions are in the ZyXEL forum for those who need it. Cheers.

pk232mbx

join:2010-03-05

Years ago, before ADSL2/2+, I had a Zyxel P652 and was very pleased with it. I currently have TP-Link TD-W8960N that I am equally very disappointed in. It seems to drop the DSL connections more frequently than the ISP supplied Actiontec GT701D but more importantly the SNMP data registers, at least the "Octets In" register, resets to zero every 111 minutes. That makes it pretty much useless for tracking traffic.

If you are still checking this thread I am curious if you have had a chance to look at the SNMP functionality of the P660HN-51. I understand that the "Octets In" register will hold a value of 4,294,967,295 but I have no idea if it rolls over to zero and starts counting again when that limit is exceeded or if it resets based on time like the TP-Link unit. Do you have any idea which way the P660 works?

If not, that is fine but perhaps you could post if you are generally still pleased with it now that you had in operation for another couple of weeks. Thanx.