uniqs
mwkessler
Wildblue
join:2003-10-24
Harrington, DE

mwkessler to ExSatUser

to ExSatUser

Re: [WildBlue] wildblue=crooks

Like many I was sold a Fake bill of goods. 1. No installation or activation prices. 2. Higher limits. 3. lower prices. Of course all of that changed when the installer came to do the install. I am fortunate to not have signed a contract and will be leaving if my problems are not straightened out.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser

The minute your modem is commissioned that is considered acceptance of the contract. But if you really did signup for Exede, it sounds like you didn't do any research about it first. As they say "buyer beware" (would say the Latin phrase but don't know how to spell it...lol)
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to mwkessler

to mwkessler
said by mwkessler:

Like many I was sold a Fake bill of goods.

No issues here currently....Exede delivers....

Exede 5 mbps: 9:20 PM CDT

Seattle Speak Easy

Download Speed: 5762 kbps (720.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1123 kbps (140.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

pissed
@wildblue.net

pissed

Anon

yea i don't expect WB to get any better. My problem is i have tried for months to down grade and they always have an excuse. In short they are keeping me on the pro pack and forcing me to pay for the pro pack. I called twice last month to downgrade and both times i was told they could not downgrade me due to the program being down but i would get a bill for the price of the value pack since i did call and it wasn't my fault that their program was messed up. Well i get this month's bill and they hit me for the whole 79.95. I call and the notes about them giving me a credit have mysteriously disappeared.
pissed

pissed to DrStrangLov

Anon

to DrStrangLov
why on earth would anyone drop 4g for a satty connection. That would be like trading in a lambo for a honda civic and haveing to pay extra.

angry
@12.189.32.x

angry to DrStrangLov

Anon

to DrStrangLov
lol who does the tech work for wb? Earlier i tried to login to my account only to be faced with a user agreement page. I agree and it tries to go to my account. It just keeps reloading the waiting page over and over. I call wb and the lady says google is doing maintenance on the page but it would be up with in the hour. Well that was over 8 hours ago and the page is still down.
angry

angry

Anon

lol still down
angry

angry

Anon

Lmfao it's gone from will be up in an hour to we ain't got no idea when it will be back up. I guess they figure folks don't need to check their email or fap meter.
mwkessler
Wildblue
join:2003-10-24
Harrington, DE

mwkessler to ExSatUser

to ExSatUser
I did a lot of research but the people I talked to lied. If you look at the Wildblue forums you will see that I am one of thousands that have the same complaint. I suspect many will switch over to newly available DSL lines or to Hughesnet when their new Sat comes on line.
mwkessler

mwkessler to pissed

to pissed
The 4g here where I lived required an amp and external antenna and you would have to change the aiming on the antenna due to the season. On 4g I got at least 10 mbs and a cap of 30gb. When I purchased Exede I was promised a no cap until Sept. and that would be a max of 30gb and $89.00 per month. I should of probably of waited to purchase as I was well aware or their history. When I moved to Exede I expected what was advertised and sold to me, I wanted a fiber like connection as they advertised.
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser

I never heard of 30gb of data for $90 with Exede. They don't even offer a 30gb package unless you are on a Recovery Act plan and west of the Mississippi.

That being said, I can't believe people are giving up DSL and 4G for Exede. There is more to consider than just speed. The caps, price, and latency would all be huge issues to me before I would signup for a 2 year committment.

Best of luck in getting it resolved!
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by ExSatUser:

That being said, I can't believe people are giving up DSL and 4G for Exede.

Unless one is a serious gamer, satellite these days works just fine.

You realize a 360p Youtube vid requires about 1 mbps throughput?

There is slow DSL out there...and video buffering is not "cool" when wanting to watch a vid.

4G will be the pits when the pilgrims come...as it is with 3G in many areas during primetimes.
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser

You are definitely right about satellite. I can see people switching so they can pay more money to get lower caps and higher latency....to watch youtube videos without buffering!

angry
@wildblue.net

angry

Anon

if only horrible latency was Wb's only problem. I could go fart in front of my wb satellite and i'm sure it would knock the signal out. What most people don't know is Wb use to be a much better product. Then they released a firmware update a few years ago and it just made it worse.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to ExSatUser

to ExSatUser
said by ExSatUser:

I can see people switching so they can pay more money to get lower caps and higher latency...

Someone on another forum, with WB legacy: "...but lately WB-1 has been speeding up quite a bit....so I have to keep a $50/mo Verizon MiFi around. But it either flies or doesn't work at all."

Remember, Verizon says, "Connect when and where you need to on America's largest and most reliable 3G network."

Oh, boy, cellphone world is wonderful..."it either flies or doesn't work at all.
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300

Premium Member

Satellite Internet: it's too expensive, it works, it's slow, it does not work, power cycle your modem, usage limit exceeded, it's all the customers fault, stuck in service commitment, inexplicable, unauthorized charge on your credit card....

angry
@wildblue.net

angry

Anon

wildblue.net is still down. Some how maintenance that was said would only take a few hours has taken multiple days. I guess they think checking your email isn't important. I wonder if they will forgive people who go over their fap limit while the site is down? After all we can't even check to see how much we have used.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by angry :

I guess they think checking your email isn't important.

I would never use an ISP's email system.

Isn't that "gmail?"
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300

Premium Member

What email are you using, DrSL?

The original webmail service provided by the NRTC is the best I have ever used until they removed secure HTTP access. You can block spam which makes the spammers remove your email address from their lists. Hushmail is the best alternate I have found, but it is a pathetic substitute with inadequate spam control, slow via satellite and will be locked if not accessed for 3 weeks.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman to angry

Premium Member

to angry
It sure looks to me like wb.net is most certainly UP.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to Spice300

to Spice300
said by Spice300:

What email are you using, DrSL?

Gmail...not NRTC email.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

said by ExSatUser:

I can see people switching so they can pay more money to get lower caps and higher latency...

Someone on another forum, with WB legacy: "...but lately WB-1 has been speeding up quite a bit....so I have to keep a $50/mo Verizon MiFi around. But it either flies or doesn't work at all."

Remember, Verizon says, "Connect when and where you need to on America's largest and most reliable 3G network."

Oh, boy, cellphone world is wonderful..."it either flies or doesn't work at all.

so you're going to apply one case of bad 3g service and apply it to all 3g service?

there is absolutely no reason to justify switching from 3g/4g to satellite unless the cell phone connection is extremely unreliable.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to DrStrangLov

MVM

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

I'm with Chances14 on this one. As a mobile person with multiple 3G/4G devices, the above statement is certainly true. However if the assumption is being made that the two conditions regularly occur in a single location then it is NOT true. I suspect most here are single location/home users of internet. If they are in a location where 3G flies then it probably flies day-in, day-out. If they are in a location where it doesn't work at all (or is so weak that it is spotty) then they are candidates for satellite.

I've rarely seen a location where 3G bounces between "flies" and "doesn't work." When in places that bounce to "doesn't work" the times when it does work the signal is poor and the speeds are low.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys to mwkessler

to mwkessler
Were you able to get 4g without the antenna and amp.
jupiter837
join:2010-11-26
Golden, MS

jupiter837 to dbirdman

to dbirdman
I personally have used Verizon 3g service for my home internet service for 5 years. I have never had one problem with the service. I normally get somewhere between 1 or 2mbps. That's plenty for me. I watch netflix, amazon and YouTube just fine. My son used to do online gaming. I honestly don't believe my face book page can load any faster. And for 20gb's I pay $60 a month, no contract. Now that being said, the very same service in another location might totally suck for someone else.
The same is true for Exede, or Hughesnet. I have friends who have both services, some of the are happy some of them for ever loving hate both of them.
People have problems with DSL and cable. But if I could get either one you bet I would. I'd have to see how they worked for me. That's just how it is. Nothing is perfect.

angry
@wildblue.net

angry

Anon

jupiter when you say you are getting 2mbps do you you mean your connection is 2mbps or your actual down load speed is 2mbps a second.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to jupiter837

to jupiter837
said by jupiter837:

I normally get somewhere between 1 or 2mbps.

Might want to check out this article: »www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· ed_tests

"Now for the bad news: I found uploading data painfully slow on both services. While 3G mustered a 25Kbit/sec. throughput from notebook to server, 4G was able to move 41Kbit/sec. -- not a terribly significant improvement."

jupiter837
join:2010-11-26
Golden, MS

jupiter837 to angry

to angry
Angry, It's not constant, it goes up and down. But usually it's somewhere between 1 to 2mbps down. During a download it might drop down way below 1mbps and then it may go up to close to 3mbps. But a average is somewhere between 1 and 2mbps.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

Test your speed here: »3gspeed.info/

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to DrStrangLov

MVM

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

"Now for the bad news: I found uploading data painfully slow on both services. While 3G mustered a 25Kbit/sec. throughput from notebook to server, 4G was able to move 41Kbit/sec. -- not a terribly significant improvement."

So, that user was in a bad spot. All individual results are anecdotal. I'm in a spot where 3G is not particularly good, but this is what it looks like:

As far as the 3gspeed.info site goes, there is something bogus about it. I get a returned speed in less than a second, so there can't have been any time to measure real data.

You can't get it through your thick skull that the whole point is this:

Where 3G or 4G screams, it is a very good alternative to satellite.
Where 3G or 4G sucks, satellite is a better alternative.

Stop assuming that all cellular is equal. Make those two statements your mantra and you will finally understand the point of all of this. Treat it like you choose to treat DSL, where you are always saying that some places (I don't know where those places are anymore) have really bad "legacy" DSL, so satellite might beat them.