how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bsdaiwa

join:2004-06-04
Fullerton, CA

IPv6 Support

Can anyone tell me when Road Runner will start supporting IPv6?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Wondering the same thing. Comcast has native dual-stack in my area but I'll be moving in 2 months to TWC-ville.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to bsdaiwa

Who knows but I can confirm that I had it for a moment during world IPv6 day.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

kingfisher
Premium
join:2007-07-17
Webster, NY

1 recommendation

reply to bsdaiwa

From the Time Warner website - "Subscribers of our wideband tier, and Signature Home customers, will automatically have IPv6 enabled when it is available in their area. Subscribers who provide their own home gateways should look for gateways supporting IPv6."

Which suggests that Time Warner will support IPv6 when THEY are ready to do so, which may not coincide with when customers believe themselves to be ready.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to bsdaiwa

So how do you know when you've got a valid IPv6 address?

I'm getting this on my router:

fe80::200:24ff:fecb:53cc%vr0/64

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

said by ke4pym:

When your network adapter status looks like my screenshot
--

kingfisher
Premium
join:2007-07-17
Webster, NY
reply to ke4pym

Or visit this site -

test-ipv6.com

which will tell you what your IPv6 address is if you have one

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to CptGemini

said by CptGemini:

said by ke4pym:

When your network adapter status looks like my screenshot

That's not helpful. I don't run windows. And I'm not certain my router is configured to pass IPv6 yet.

So, with that. Let me ask a different way.

What would a valid IPv6 address look like, if the one I posted isn't indeed a valid address?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

My bad then. It should look the same, you can always go to the test site the previous poster shared or if you have a router that has an IPv6 section it'll show it. My netgear has an easy to read area that tells me if the WAN port has one or not.
--

la6

@rr.com
reply to ke4pym

In my area, TWC's network is AS20001. According to »bgp.he.net/AS20001, its IPv6 prefixes are 2600:5c00::/32 and 2605:e000::/32. So I'd expect my IPv6 assignment to be in those subnets (unless of course they are assigned more before they do the roll-out).

But still no sign of it here (LA), using an Apple Airport Extreme. I would expect it to be quite a few months before they finish rolling it out over their entire footprint.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to CptGemini

That screen doesn't prove anything. It will show "internet" as long as any IPv6 system is working (teredo, 6to4, isatap, external tunnel.) Show the ACTUAL addresses being used.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

It was only online for a few hours the afternoon of world IPv6 day or I would have more to show. Since then it says the typical "No Internet Connection" next to IPv6, also only IPv6 address listed when I view the details is the one local on my home network.
--

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to bsdaiwa

Another way to check v6 connectivity: traceroute to ipv6.google.com or similar. If it resolves, you're golden. If not, you're v4-only.

When I get TWC in Austin I'll be sure to grab a v6-capable router (I think I'll bring my v6-capable SB6120 down if they'll let me use it on their network). I mean, might as well...

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to bsdaiwa

"When I get TWC in Austin I'll be sure to grab a v6-capable router (I think I'll bring my v6-capable SB6120 down if they'll let me use it on their network). I mean, might as well..."

The 6120 is not a compliant customer owned modem at this time.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

codekrash

join:2010-05-21

1 recommendation

Sent an inquiry to the main support for Bright House, and got a reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Bright House regarding our IPv6. We do have the IPv6 available. What we would suggest is to contact our Internet department and one of our agents will be able to check and see if you are on the IPv6 or when it will be available for you.
I just got off the phone with tech support for Central Florida RoadRunner. They said that once ipv4 runs out the system will automatically issue ipv6 addresses. I asked for a timeline and he said there is none. Who knows when that will be...

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

said by codekrash:

Sent an inquiry to the main support for Bright House

If you are with bright house you should ask around in their forum. BHNtechXpert See Profile works for them and is awesome with getting stuff going.

»Bright House Networks
--

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to ke4pym

Everything in the fe80::/16 range (not sure about the size, I think it's /16) is "link local". That means that address is only usable on that network segment; it should not/will not traverse the Internet. Most publicly routable IP addresses start with 2. For example, both my Hurricane Electric tunnelled addresses and Google Public DNS use addresses starting with 2001 (which is cool for me, I like to add "an Internet odyssey"). I've also seen addresses expressed starting with 2600:.

I would look at your cable modem. For example, on Motorolas, there is a "mini Web server" at 192.168.100.1, and that has a configuration page; one of its items reads "IPv4 only" for "Modem's IP Mode".
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

2 edits
reply to hobgoblin

Are you saying that if I have an SB6120 I will never get native IPv6 addresses (unless policy changes of course)? Are you additionally saying that if I get/"start renting" * a CM from TWC I will get native addressing?

Side note, and I just want to emphasize, admittedly totally MY fault: The only reason I dumped using the SB5100 I had for years, and went and purchased an SB6120 was for the D3 compliance, and that for the IPv6 capability. At this point it's just for my edification, whether I wasted my money or not.

* Just to explain why that's in quotes: during the Adelphia times and most of the time to date during the TWC times, a company-provided cable modem was a line item on monthly bills. Then a few years ago, in the program I'm grandfathered into, the final amount was the same, but it was itemed instead as a "customer owned modem credit" of the same amount ($3)...which means technically I wouldn't be renting the modem because it's supposed to be part-and-parcel of the Internet service.

--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

"Are you saying that if I have an SB6120 I will never get native IPv6 addresses (unless policy changes of course)? Are you additionally saying that if I get/"start renting" * a CM from TWC I will get native addressing?"

I am saying that the 6120 is not on a list of customer approved modems. If it supports IPV6 I am sure it will when its rolled out.

tc17

join:2003-08-14

1 recommendation

reply to bsdaiwa

I think all this IPv6 stuff is nothing but false advertising. I asked Roadrunner on the forums here if it was available in my area, and got this reply.

"Sorry, we do not know when it IPV6 will be available to our residential customers at this time."

Apparently its only for business customers, as if they would be the only ones who would use it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

2 recommendations

IPv6 is gradually being rolled out, it requires changes to many pieces of equipment and firmware updates to modems. Its a slow process, that's why no one knows. The world will not end if IPv6 is not rolled out tomorrow.

Hob

EEE3

@rr.com

said by hobgoblin:

IPv6 is gradually being rolled out, it requires changes to many pieces of equipment and firmware updates to modems. Its a slow process, that's why no one knows. The world will not end if IPv6 is not rolled out tomorrow.

As a Network Engineer myself deeply involved in enabling IPv6 in the Enterprise I'm sympathetic to the work required but Time Warner set expectations that it would be enabling it for at least 1% of customers by June 6 as part of its participation in World IPv6 Launch Day. As of today I have not heard of a single customer having it enabled natively, just a few people who mistakenly confused tunnels with native.

No, the world will not end but people have legitimate reasons for wanting native IPv6 and Time Warner needs to be more transparent about their plans IMO. From my perspective it looks like they got some positive PR back on June 6 but instead should have been called out for not delivering IPv6 to anyone.

zaxcom

join:2008-12-26
Charlotte, NC

Has anyone seen any movement on the roll-out? So far nothing here in Charlotte.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to EEE3

said by EEE3 :

Time Warner set expectations that it would be enabling it for at least 1% of customers by June 6 as part of its participation in World IPv6 Launch Day. As of today I have not heard of a single customer having it enabled natively, just a few people who mistakenly confused tunnels with native.

I know people in the Raleigh area with IPv6 native IP's from Time Warner. The IP's start with 2606:A000...

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to bsdaiwa

Click for full size
My modem can do ip6 but I bought it for DOCSIS 3. (Motorola SB6141)

No sign of ip6. But I don't care. The internet keeps working with ip4.