Search similar:

uniqs

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

1 edit

SHoTTa35

Anon

Dream Modem - 24x8

NETGEAR will demonstrate industry leading products including DOCSIS3.0 Gateways with 24 x 8 channel bonding and 802.11ac wireless delivering connectivity up to three times faster than 802.11n

SAN JOSE, Calif. — June 12, 2012— NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQGM: NTGR),a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, today announced that it will showcase several innovative solutions for cable operators, including a groundbreaking DOCSIS3.0 gateway integrated with 802.11ac wireless technology, at the ANGA Cable show taking place June 12- 14 in Cologne, Germany. In addition, NETGEAR will also demonstrate its 24 x 8 channel bonded DOCSIS®/Euro-DOCSIS gateway to support up to 1.2Gbps downstream and 320Mbps upstream data rate.

»www.netgear.com/about/pr ··· 012.aspx

Also includes 802.11ac too to get all that good speeds over WIFI as well.

Did anyone else's credit card all of a sudden started to feel too warm in their pockets so they needed to take it out?!?

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 edit

2 recommendations

Cthen

Premium Member

Re: Dream Modem - 24x8

Wouldn't a "Dream Modem" be more symmetrical?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 edit

gar187er

then you need a dream cable system

8 upstreams is wayyy overkill unless you go with a mid or high split system....most all system in the US are sub split. 5-42mhz...so even if a MSO started putting carriers at 15mhz (dear god please dont) and they are all 16qams then youre looking at about 11 carriers...more like 10 if you account for rolloff on the high end.....

so no company will really invest in modems with more then 8 carriers...4 is plenty IMO...

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

2 edits

Cthen

Premium Member

Hey, not my thread i started here, just asking an obvious question.
Expand your moderator at work

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SHoTTa35

MVM

to SHoTTa35

According to an article today on the Light Reading Cable site, both Broadcom and Intel now have plans for DOCSIS 3.0 chipsets that can bond up to 32 downstream channels:

Broadcom's Next D3 Chip Will Leapfrog Intel
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - June 15, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

Also, at the end of the article it says that Comcast is already asking vendors to support Intel's new Puma6 (16x4 & 24x8) chipset (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable).

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Cthen

to Cthen
symmetrical will never happen in an hfc network..

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to gar187er

MVM

to gar187er
BTW - There was an article on the Light Reading Cable site just yesterday that discusses the current issues with upstream bandwidth and speeds:

Cable's Upstream Gap
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - June 19, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· lr_cable

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Saw that yesterday too. Don't need a 320Mbps upload just yet but say 30Mbps woudl be more than good for me

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

An article on the Light Reading Cable site today about the possibility of using Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access (S-CDMA) carriers in the upstream in order to increase uplink speeds:

Will Anyone Switch On Cable's Upstream Booster?
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - July 6, 2012
Expand your moderator at work

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I'm sure they could offer 1mbps x 1mbps

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

I'm sure they could offer 1mbps x 1mbps

Huh ?? Do you possibly mean 1 Gbps ??

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

i think he means for symetrical ;p
i need dat cable modem...
too bad comcast will be supporting it never
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

too bad comcast will be supporting it never

No cable system today will be supporting it without some major changes.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor to SHoTTa35

Premium Member

to SHoTTa35
When I can get FTTH, my dream will have come true

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
If any MSO "wastes" (and I use that term loosely) 32 QAM's on HSI, I need to have a talk with their management.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SHoTTa35

MVM

to SHoTTa35
An article on the Multichannel News site today about ARRIS's new 16- and 24-bonded-downstream-channel DOCSIS 3 devices that are due out sometime next year:

IBC: Arris Picks MaxLinear Tuners For 1-Gig DOCSIS 3.0 Line
MaxLinear Also Teams With Zenverge on IP-Streaming Gateway Solution

By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - September 6, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· Line.php

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

When I can get FTTH, my dream will have come true

Move to Chattanooga, TN and get FTTH from the city owned power company: »epbfi.com/enroll/packages/#/
Their slowest speed is 30Mbps symmetrical. Yes, 30/30.

Or you can move to parts of Kansas City where it's guaranteed to get Google Fiber.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

An article on the Light Reading Cable site today, about new CMTS software releases to support the bonding of large number of channels by these upcoming, higher-speed modems:

Cable Access Goes for Bigger Broadband
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - September 28, 2012

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

i wonder if there is a point to support more than 8 channels since Comcast will probably deploy fiber rather than push through the 300 mb/s barrier with coax.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Well, as the new DOCSIS 3.0 chipsets can support the bonding of up to 24 downstream channels, the CMTS vendors need to be able to support that too.

Also, as was stated in that Light Reading Cable article (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable ):

And, according to this statement from Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas, it appears that Comcast will use the fiber-based approach as a placeholder for very high-capacity residential broadband services until it makes business sense for the MSO to make significant changes to its Docsis platform:
"We've demonstrated our Docsis 3.0 infrastructure, which we currently deliver to more than 50 million homes, is capable of delivering 1 Gbps or more. While demand for faster speeds continues to grow, demand for ultrafast speed tiers (of more than 200 Mbps) is still emerging. In the near-term, until there is clear demand to modify the capacity of our existing Docsis infrastructure, we can provide our new residential Extreme 305 service by leveraging the fiber already in our network and our Metro-E product."

AnonMan
@sct.com

AnonMan to JigglyWiggly

Anon

to JigglyWiggly
The Comcast and fiber thing won't last. It was done as a marketing thing for now. The high install price and contract should have given that away.

99% of people can't qualify for it probably and COAX can handle much more bandwidth still. (currently is limited by the frequency range being used).

The future is all TV will go to IP and at that point the entire frequency range on COAX can be dedicated for Internet and when someone is not watching TV that idle bandwidth will be able to feed someone elses Internet or provide more bandwidth.

Works the same way hosting companies do now. They oversell because they know not 100% of customers use 100% resources.

Fiber to the home may be the future but in the US it seems most are not willing to make the change when they can keep pushing existing tech.

Phone companies will have the hard time, cable not as bad as they can do more channel bonding to gain the speed.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad

MVM

And possibly, maybe sometime in late 2014, we may see a new series of modems being released that incorporate the new "DOCSIS 3.1" enhancements: »DOCSIS 3.1 spec to be discussed at Cable-Tec Expo [0] comments

EDIT: Also this article on the Multichannel News site today:

CableLabs Moves Ahead On DOCSIS 3.1
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - October 4, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· 1/139611

EDIT2: The SCTE press release about this session: »www.scte.org/cablelabs%c ··· o%c2%ae/
telcodad

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

And to support these future "dream" modems, ARRIS will be showing off their new, CCAP-capable, model E6000 CMTS at this week's Cable-Tec Expo in Orlando:

Arris Unleashes a Monster CMTS
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - October 15, 2012

From the article:
Arris says the decision to use the E6000 as a massively dense Docsis CMTS represents a "middle step" that addresses the near-term needs of cable operators as they continue to increase downstream capacities and bump the amount of bandwidth per subscriber by shrinking service groups.

Running the E6000 in CMTS mode will come in particularly handy when cable operators start to bond as many as 16 downstream channels, says Todd Kessler, the VP of product management for Arris's CMTS platform.
EDIT: An article on Multichannel News site about it: »www.multichannel.com/bro ··· t/139821
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

ARRIS will will be displaying their new Intel Puma 6 (»newsroom.intel.com/commu ··· ble-show) based gateways at this week's Cable-Tec Expo.

From today's Light Reading Cable's cable news round-up (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable ):
Arris Group Inc. is the latest cable modem vendor to introduce Docsis 3.0-based gateways that take advantage of the full capabilities of the Puma6, a chipset from Intel Corp. that can bond up to 24 downstream channels and produce speed bursts close to 1 Gbit/s. Arris's new line of gateways also will be outfitted with MaxLinear Corp. tuners and video-optimized Wi-Fi chips from Celeno Communications.

Arris's latest lineup, which will be on display at this week's Cable-Tec Expo in Orlando, includes two gateways that bond 24 downstreams and eight upstreams, and five models that use the Puma6's 16x4 configuration.

Other vendors are sure to follow with 24x8 D3 gear, but Hitron Technologies Inc. was the first to announce a model, and already has plans to submit its new gateway for CableLabs certification next month.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

An article about the new ARRIS gateways also on the Multichannel News site today:

Cable-Tec Expo: Arris Pushes DOCSIS Gateways Near 1-Gig Mark
Vendor to Show Off Seven Wi-Fi-Enabled Models With 16- and 24-Channel Bonding

By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - October 16, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/bro ··· k/139834
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

This morning's session at the CTAM conference provided a bit of a sneak peek at the developing DOCSIS 3.1 specs:

Docsis 3.1 to Be Smarter, Faster & Cheaper
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - October 16, 2012

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

How much cheaper? I mean, the extreme tiers now are outrageous, what does 3.1 mean, a little less outrageous?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Looks like Comcast will be deploying those new ARRIS E6000 CMTSs:

Comcast Cheers Arris CCAP Plan
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - October 16, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/blo ··· cap-plan