spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Still Getting By w/o Data

My wife and I are somehow still miraculously getting by w/o data. Amazing, isn't it? And as long as it would cost us on upwards of $150/mo. for data on two "smart" phones, we'll continue to get along w/o data. We have tablets. We use whatever WiFi hotspots we can grab, when we can grab them. When we can't, we do without. Somehow we survive it.

Other than business users that are road warriors or IT staff, I really do not understand how people can justify the monthly pop for these plans. I never have understood it. I never will understand it.

Zan
@uab.edu

Zan

Anon

I agree. I work in IT and my wife and i still use flip phones. We have 2 laptops, a tablet and an unactivated Droid Bionic that i won in a contest. The wifey doesn't really care for smartphones and i am happy with grabbing any available hotspot for the tablet or the Bionic (which is essentially a pocket computer for me, not a phone).

jseymour
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Yup. I work in IT, too. A phone with which I could check my email would be handy, but I can live w/o it. My wife has a ruggedized flip and I'm using a Palm Centro, for the contacts, scheduling and, most of all, Palm Keyring.

Sprint, VZ or T-Mob (absolutely refuse to use "AT&T") would have to come up with a heckuva lot more attractive data plan, which would include tethering for our tablets, to get us.

Zan
@uab.edu

Zan

Anon

My thoughts exactly. Email would be nice here too, but i refuse to pay the ridiculous premium to use it, when i can simply find a local fast-food place or coffee shop and check it for free.

John Anon
@141.191.36.x

John Anon to jseymour

Anon

to jseymour
I'm with you. Between home and work, we are steps away from unlimited high-speed internet access for 95% of our day. It's not worth the price they charge to fill in that last 5%. It will continue to be "dumb" phones for us for the foreseeable future.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to Zan

to Zan
what yall dont know is that, once you do use it, people get addicted to being their 24/7, now me i have a data plan on a iphone, but only 200mb for 15 a month, I have never gone over nor do I plan to, and with that 200mb a month I usually turn my 3g off believe it or not and lightly use facebook, pandora or whatever

what people dont get is that how they can rack up so much data so quickly and its always has been video, youtube, netflix, hulu, ect.. If I want to watch somethin ill watch it on my pc, or my big screen...

jseymour
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by Cobra11M:

what yall dont know is that, once you do use it, people get addicted to being their 24/7, ...

I know about addiction. I used to smoke. I managed to kick the addiction.

I used to have cable--a long, long time ago. I managed to deal with cutting the cord when I felt it was no longer serving my needs for a price that could be justified.

I still miss smoking on occasion. There are shows on cable TV I sometimes regret not being able to watch.

Likewise with mobile data. It would be nice, but, while there are many, many things in life that are necessities, being wired to the 'net 24x7 isn't one of them. Not for me. Not for the vast majority of people.

Your argument, Cobra, is a good one for never signing-up for data in the first place. I've been vaguely considering it. Maybe getting my employer to underwrite it. I think you just convinced me to drop the idea entirely.