how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GoddardCat

join:2008-06-15
Shell Knob, MO

Help setting up IP Cam

I have CenturyLink DSL at a lake cabin in MO. I have installed a Wanscam IP cam to monitor the place while we are not there. I thought I had it set up properly with a static IP address and using No-IP as a DDNS. I have been able to access the cam remotely using my No-IP address. However when the power goes off the IP address is still changing and I lose the cam access. I use a Westell 327W wireless router. Can anyone give me simple step-by-step directions on how to set this thing up? I am obviously doing something wrong!

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
The IP cam has the static IP and you still have DHCP WAN on the modem / router?
If this is the case, then yes the DHCP WAN address will change and certainly could change from power outage or modem / router rebooting. Upon this happening, you will be disconnected. But after waiting for it to power back up, No-Ip should update itself and you should be able to log back in.

Perhaps there is an issue with the modem / router firmware and it is not correctly reporting errors or updating No-Ip with new IP address. Make sure the firmware is the latest.

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
Thanks - how do I go about updating the router firmware? I should have mentioned that it is one I bought used off ebay and is not an original CenturyLink router.

chomper87

Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Is it a modem / router combo?

First look up the model and the manufacturer. You might be able to download it direct from the manufacturers website.

If not, you can check CenturyLink site for firmware

»qwest.centurylink.com/internethe···are.html

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by chomper87:

Is it a modem / router combo?

I use a Westell 327W wireless router.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

chomper87

Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Oops, missed that part about the 327w in the first post.

Only firmware I can dig up is from Verizon

»my.verizon.com/central/vzc.porta···aLinkFix

Use at you're own risk. Not sure what else there is to try.

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
If I can't get the old 327W to do this what is the best replacement? I don't want to pay CenturyLink $2/month to lease theirs.

chomper87

Clearwater, FL
Could you put the 327W in bridge mode and get a new router which supports No-IP DDNS?

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
Good question! I'm not savvy enough to know how that all works.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to GoddardCat
Did you install software that keeps track of the public ip address

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
I think I did when I set up my No-IP account.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
If you installed the no-ip software on one of your computers that computer needs to be configured to be allocated the public ip address in order for the no ip software to be able to detect the public ip address

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to GoddardCat
I've found that the Dynamic DNS services on most consumer level routers tend to be quite flaky. If you're going to be leaving a computer there, you could install the No-IP client on it to update automatically, which would likely give you better results.

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
I'm guessing that would mean the computer would have to stay on for the automatic update to work?

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
reply to wayjac
said by wayjac:

If you installed the no-ip software on one of your computers that computer needs to be configured to be allocated the public ip address in order for the no ip software to be able to detect the public ip address

That requires leaving the computer on, right? I would rather not have to do that. Is there no way to accomplish this with the computer off and just the modem/router and IPCam on?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by GoddardCat:

That requires leaving the computer on, right?

Yes you would need to have the computer up and running
said by GoddardCat:

Is there no way to accomplish this with the computer off and just the modem/router and IPCam on?

If you had a modem/router that supports a dynamic dns service like no ip then only the modem/router would need to be on all the time
The westell 327 has no built-in dynamic dns service support

Hazy Arc

Greenwood, SC
reply to GoddardCat
Yes, the computer would have to remain on. You could also pay for a static IP address from Centurylink and you wouldn't have a problem.

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
How much is the fee for a static IP address?

Hazy Arc

Greenwood, SC
I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's less than $10 a month (or at least it was).

»www.qwestcommunications.com/inte···ing.html

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to GoddardCat

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
I do have an old laptop I can leave on - I'll try that approach first. Thanks for all the help!

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
More dumb questions! I found this on the CL website which shows how to set a static IP on the 327W:

»qwest.centurylink.com/internethe···-ip.html

Would this work or would it still change every time the power goes out?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Tha web page explains how to setup a private static ip address once that is done the computer will always have the same private ip address
Even with a private static ip address if you want to access the ip cam from a remote location you'll need to know the public ip address of the ip cam

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
I do know the public IP of the cam and it has been accessable until a power failure a couple of weeks ago. I have not been there since but I think the power is back on but CL assigned a new ip address when the system re-powered. Will assigning a static IP as outlined by CL prevent that?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by GoddardCat:

Will assigning a static IP as outlined by CL prevent that?

The instructions you linked are for setting up a static private ip address you must know the public ip address used by the camera

chomper87

Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to GoddardCat
said by GoddardCat:

Will assigning a static IP as outlined by CL prevent that?

You can't just assign yourself a public static IP. You would have to purchase a static IP from CenturyLink.

Assigning the IP cam a LAN static IP of say 192.168.1.6 is worth a try if you haven't already done this. Have you setup manual port forwarding for the IP cam?

GoddardCat

Shell Knob, MO
Yes, the cam has manual port forwarding set up.