Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to spewak

to spewak

Re: Another way

said by spewak:

Did he mean to say "shaft" instead?

Anytime they are charging more than $4 (extremely generous to Verizon) for an additional GB it is definitely the shaft.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

Agreed, when I can get 10GB lines at a datacenter for .30/mbps and a MBPS translates to roughly 3.3TB of data you can see were getting the shaft.

ohreally
@virginmedia.com

ohreally

Anon

said by NOCMan:

Agreed, when I can get 10GB lines at a datacenter for .30/mbps and a MBPS translates to roughly 3.3TB of data you can see were getting the shaft.

I'm not going to defend Verizon's pricing as it looks bloody extortionate, but why is datacentre pricing relevant?

My water company bills me per cubic metre (there's a water meter on the inlet) - the cost is small enough to be negligible. I can buy water in bottles for a much higher cost per litre. The prices are not comparable because it's obvious that bottling and transporting that water costs money.

This is true for your example. It's fairly cheap and easy to have a few fat fibre connections to a location (a location that was probably chosen due to advantageous pricing on utilities including telecoms), than it is to run a nationwide cellular network - which is pretty expensive stuff.