share rss forum feed

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to SunnyD

Re: Holy Shit

Camry starts at $22,055. That is the lowest no options you can get. Not a desirable car. Even if you can get 0% interest and stretch it out to 6 years that's a payment of $306.32 a month. Accord starts at $21,480. That's $298.33 a month at 72 months and 0%. Decently equipped versions go up rather quickly. And very few qualify for 0% interest, or even very low interest. And those that do are not typically buying Camrys and Accords.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

You're shopping in the wrong places then. You can get Camry's for ~$16k around here (Yes, new).

thegeek
Premium
right here

I just used MSRP. Still my argument is valid. A good car is not $260 a month. At least to those of us who are more affluent.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by thegeek:

I just used MSRP. Still my argument is valid. A good car is not $260 a month. At least to those of us who are more affluent.

So you need to pay more to get a good car? hardly. It's just a car. Heck I'll take any minivan over a 100K sports car. But even a mini-van is to pricey for driving a car. I would rather take the money I save on buying a $15K or less car and spend it on things I will get some real enjoyment from. Like PCs, and electronics. I'd be more likely to spend the $15K savings on a sever than get a $30K car. I get no enjoyment from a car, but unfortunately it is a necessity for me.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

I drive an older used sports car for $160 per month. That was a $5000 loan, at 5.5% fixed, paid back over 3 years. Your shopping in the wrong places if you cant get a good deal these days. Hell, I only pay $45 per month for unlimited everything for my cell phone too, so, why you wouldnt jump ship to a prepaid carrier these days who have much better deals is beyond me.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to aaronwt

I'm more likely to spend the money on the gadgets as well as the refined automobile. But then again, I have the money to do so. Not everyone does. And I get real enjoyment from nice vehicles more so than technology. To each their own.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to Chubbysumo

I can get a good deal, I just don't want a used car. I don't want someone else's problems. Good job on paying an auto loan off in 3 years. My moto is if you can't pay it off in 3 years then you can't afford it.

But back on topic, can I even get a prepaid unlimited everything plan that offers the coverage that Verizon does?

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

said by thegeek:

I can get a good deal, I just don't want a used car. I don't want someone else's problems. Good job on paying an auto loan off in 3 years. My moto is if you can't pay it off in 3 years then you can't afford it.

But back on topic, can I even get a prepaid unlimited everything plan that offers the coverage that Verizon does?

I like that sayin, im 21 and ill keep that in mind

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to thegeek

Well there's your first problem! Buying a NEW car is crazy! Buy a used car for $17,000 and your payments will be around $270 with your criteria...

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

»lmgtfy.com/?q=verizon+prepaid

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium
join:2001-12-14
Palm Bay, FL
reply to jjeffeory

Exactly, I just bought my wife a 2011 Nissan for $18,000 with $10,000 trade in and $1,000 in cash. Payments are $241 a month for 36 months. I usually double up the payments since they're so low. Buying a brand new car makes no sense when you can get one a year or two old for way less.

For me, I just buy cheap $2,000 cars with cash and drive them until the wheels fall off

-Dragasoni-

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Dragasoni:

Exactly, I just bought my wife a 2011 Nissan for $18,000 with $10,000 trade in and $1,000 in cash. Payments are $241 a month for 36 months. I usually double up the payments since they're so low. Buying a brand new car makes no sense when you can get one a year or two old for way less.

For me, I just buy cheap $2,000 cars with cash and drive them until the wheels fall off

-Dragasoni-

Well, if it wasnt for the C.A.R.S. Program(cash for clunkers) that was run about a year ago, there would be lots of nice $1000-$4500 cars on the roads still, but everyone and their mother fell for the gimmick(it really was, because it only applied to new cars, and the dealers overpriced their vehicles by $3000 or more. I considered doing it, but they(the dealers in this area, and even 2 hours south), wanted $3000 or more than the book value of what vehicles I would have been purchasing. Millions of people got scammed out of precious metals and nice cars, and only the dealers and car makers profited) and traded in perfectly good vehicles that are now off the roads. Before then, I got a $1000 car from my aunt that was in great shape, and it lasted me for 4 years, with all but the most minimal maintenance. Now, if its under $2000, its total junk, and even some $20000-$3000 cars are junk, because they know there is no used car competition, they can overprice junk cars to the max. Honestly, its another story for another day, but for the most part, on cell phone carriers, especially prepaid carriers, they lease usage from one of the big 2. T-mobile uses AT&T towers where they dont have coverage. Straight talk uses T and Z towers. Virgin mobile uses Z towers. Hell, hardly any of the current prepaid carriers actually build out their own network, they simply lease. Im moving from AT&T prepaid(gophone) to Straight talk, and all im really doing is getting a better value from AT&T towers and services, since Straight talk(Tracphone subsidiary, owned by Carlos Slim) leases AT&T towers and usage, even the same ~2.2GB throttle cap occurs for data(of which, its unlimited). Go prepaid now, while its still good.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to Dragasoni

Smart man!

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to jjeffeory

said by jjeffeory:

Well there's your first problem! Buying a NEW car is crazy! Buy a used car for $17,000 and your payments will be around $270 with your criteria...

It's crazy for some. Not for others. Sure a 2 year old car can be very nice and a lot cheaper. But it's most likely a former lease or a wreck. I don't want to deal with either. I can afford to buy a brand new car so that is what I do. I never have to worry about why a previous owner decided to get rid of it. I like that the seat only contains my farts and nobody else's.

Just think, without people like me who prefer to buy new cars instead of used you wouldn't have any used cars to buy.

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

said by thegeek:

said by jjeffeory:

It's crazy for some. Not for others. Sure a 2 year old car can be very nice and a lot cheaper. But it's most likely a former lease or a wreck. I don't want to deal with either. I can afford to buy a brand new car so that is what I do. I never have to worry about why a previous owner decided to get rid of it. I like that the seat only contains my farts and nobody else's.

Just think, without people like me who prefer to buy new cars instead of used you wouldn't have any used cars to buy.

You aren't alone. I only buy new. I don't want someone else's problems. If I have an issue, it goes back to the dealer instantly.

thegeek
Premium
right here

And you likely realize, just as I do, that that convenience comes with a price. Some people just don't understand that some people are willing to pay that price. It's worth it, and possible, for some people. Not for others.

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

And it's hard to find a used 2012 on the lot.