spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

patandjudy

join:2012-06-12

[Internet] Internet usage up 200% since upgrade to Fibe 25?

I recently called up Bell Fibe support to complain about being charged $80 per mo. for over-usage fees. It seems since I upgraded to Fibe 25 (as a result of them offering us a deal to keep me from switching providers) my Internet usage has gone up almost 200%.

What's weird is everyone in the household has confirmed there's been no unusual activity to explain the jump in usage and it was extremely frustrating to try to explain that we've never exceeded the cap before (when we were on Fibe 16) yet now our bandwidth usage is WAY over the average before the upgrade. We don't have Fibe TV or anything and use the Internet mostly for Netflix and other streaming. I've checked that our Netflix setting is not on HD setting.

I'm hoping someone else has encountered this before or can possibly provide some insight on why the significant jump in usage at Fibe 25.

Thanks,
Pat and Judy

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
It's hard for other people to say. Everybody has different usage habits. Maybe somebody there began uploading more stuff because its faster and they don't even notice it. You can try watching less Netflix to see if it makes a difference.

If you use your own router with dd-wrt or tomato OS installed you can see day-by-day, month-by-month usage statistics.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to patandjudy
If you're using p2p networks, you had 1mb upload before, now you should have 10 causing way more upload data. I'd switch to an unlimited provider if I were you to just stop stressing out about paying 80$/month extra. Remember that average cost per gb is about 0,2 cent...

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to patandjudy
Some things to take a look at.

1. You probably got a Sagemcom modem to replace the modem that you had due to the higher speed. Make sure that the wireless is turned off if you have no wireless devices, laptops etc. If you have wireless devices, make sure that you have a strong password in place, otherwise someone in your neighbourhood could be getting free Internet that you are paying for.

2. Setup an online account with Bell if you don't already have one. With a Bell online account, you can monitor your daily usage. Once you login, click on Internet, and then under Billing & usage click on Check my Internet usage.

3. On the Internet usage page, it will show how much usage you have purchased in the first block. In the second block it will give you the amount used in current billing period. You can also see you usage for the previous 11 months.

4. In the second block is a link to daily usage. If you click that link you will have a list of usage for each day in the current billing period. You can also see daily usage for the previous 11 months.

A caveat!

The usage that Bell shows in these tables is what Bell is billing you. There are many complaints here (at dslreports) that Bell's usage meter is very inaccurate. The numbers however should give you some sort of pattern.

Keep a couple of things in mind. When you ask family members if anything has changed getting a response of no may take some research.

We are retired here in Hamilton but now have 2 university grand kids living here. Over a 2 day period the usage jumped by 7 GB (GigaBytes). 1.1GB was a copy of Microfoft Visual Studio Express, which I knew about and the other 6GB was a game. My grandson clicked a link to install a game that had been downloaded previously, but due to hard drive space issues was deleted to allow the cleanup of the drive. Clicking install re-downloaded the game.

Good luck

Rick

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to patandjudy
Well Pat and Judy I have bad news for you. You think bell gives 2 (you know whats) about your usage? The more you use the more they like it. That extra $80 is pure profit to them. Call it a cash cow, call it whatever you want. Its despicable they set these caps on such high speeds. If you haven't learn't your lesson by now I'm not sure how to help you.

I know your asking for insight into what might be wrong. You gotta be the bandwidth police, not rely on bell. read up on google how to monitor your bandwidth. There are many different ways.

The Doctor

join:2011-11-25
Montreal,Qc
Netflix can eat up alot bandwith close 1gb/hour at a low setting

Netflix (HD): 3600MB for a 2 hour HD movie.
Netflix (SD): around 500-700MB each

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada

1 recommendation

said by The Doctor:

Netflix can eat up alot bandwith close 1gb/hour at a low setting

Netflix (HD): 3600MB for a 2 hour HD movie.
Netflix (SD): around 500-700MB each

Assuming the amount of NetFlix they watch hasn't gone up though, they wouldn't be using any more of their cap for it now than they were on a 16Mbps connection.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to patandjudy
Some guy earlier got duped out of ten gigabytes and wanted them back. He tracked his usage with a router. If nothing has changed someone you don't know is using your wireless and/or you're sustaining substantial packet loss.

The Doctor

Montreal,Qc
Reviews:
·Electronic Box

1 edit
reply to bt
If we assume only one user logged into netflix this would not cause much of dent but multiple users using netflix would increase usage.

The faster the connection the more one uses without noticing we do more because it's done faster.

Youtube/netflix/hulu so many sites to eat up our bandwith.

It's possible that the wifi connection is being used by someone else as bell wifi key/password are very weak first thing i changed when the tech left when i had fibe 25/7 installed few months ago.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
said by The Doctor:

If we assume only one user logged into netflix this would not cause much of dent but multiple users using netflix would increase usage.

It would have taken quite a few concurrent SD streams to bottle-neck a 16Mbps connection. And even if they were somehow saturating the 16Mbps connection with SD quality Netflix, a 56% increase in speed wouldn't translate to a 200%+ increase in usage. The math just doesn't work that way.

So again, if they haven't changed how much they watch Netflix, it's very unlikely to be the cause of the drastic increase in monthly internet usage.

The Doctor

Montreal,Qc

1 edit
I am still trying to figure out how 3-4 people could use up so much bandwith during a month if none of their habits changed.
If bitorrent & netflix was used would drive usage but not 200% either

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

1 recommendation

depends if you upload at 10mbps vs 800kbps.

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
said by kovy7:

depends if you upload at 10mbps vs 800kbps.

That would also be my first suspect. Torrents seeding at 10x the speed it used to do before. Or any other P2P technology where you are suddenly uploading 10x faster than you used to do, and didn't took the time to cap the upload speed in your P2P client.

RickStep
Premium
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

reply to patandjudy
A reply from the original poster would be nice.

Talking to one's self is not what I thought his board was all about.

If you post; interact.

If that is too difficult; don't post

Rick

W180

join:2011-03-08
reply to patandjudy
Modem on Fibe 25 has WPA2 as default for security, however has a guest network with no security (disabled by default). Netflix also adapts the bit rate to the speed of your connection.
Also the modem lets you see the amount of packets sent and received in the firmware.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to patandjudy
I think patandjudy are what they call hit n runners

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
reply to RickStep
said by RickStep:

A reply from the original poster would be nice.

Talking to one's self is not what I thought his board was all about.

If you post; interact.

If that is too difficult; don't post

Sadly, people often use forums just as a mean to vent their frustration. That's why you see more people complaining than being overjoyed by their service

Ventile

join:2012-07-08
Montreal, QC
reply to patandjudy
We ran into the same problem. Last month we had an overcharge of 80$. We immediately checked the Internet usage on the bell site and were shocked to see that we were exceeding our monthly usage even for the next billing cycle. So we bought extra 50Gb in addition to our 60 Gb. But they burnt up so fast and we are at 150Gb now. We installed net meters on all our computers and turned off the wifi. We changed all of the modem passwords. No change. Our net meters showed max 1Gb a day and yet Bell would count up to sometimes even 10 Gb a day. We then refrained from using the Internet for 24hours. But still the Bell tracker counted 3.5Gb. Bell tried to pin it down on Netflix, p2p....even though we told them we were not online. We then turned off our modem completely and disconnected all our wires for 24h starting at midnight. It is the most reliable way to check if the Bell Internet usage on their site is fraudulent. Bell showed a usage of 3 Gb that day. After our third complaint they launched an investigation and apparently found that our br1 ID had been assigned to another Bell user at the same time, which resulted in their Internetusage being added on to ours. I still have numerous questions for them and will be asking for compensation tomorrow.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
They assigned the same b1 and password to another user at the same time?? I wonder how that's possible... the password is "supposed" to be randomly generated with each new account.

It's also possible someone got in your router / house and copied the login, or someone from your family got phished into giving it away not knowing the consequences...
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
I wonder how careful Bell is to wipe clean the b1 username from returned equipment. I assume they are...
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Ventile
said by Ventile:

We then turned off our modem completely and disconnected all our wires for 24h starting at midnight. It is the most reliable way to check if the Bell Internet usage on their site is fraudulent. Bell showed a usage of 3 Gb that day. After our third complaint they launched an investigation and apparently found that our br1 ID had been assigned to another Bell user at the same time, which resulted in their Internet usage being added on to ours. I still have numerous questions for them and will be asking for compensation tomorrow.

Remember they are reading a script and the first line on the script is "The Customer is always wrong".

Also if you've gone past 90 days, Bell will not provide compensation/credit, see first line in the script.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
reply to HeadSpinning
people trust bell to clean out their info on their returned modems?

I always factory reset mine before returning, just to be safe!

Ventile

join:2012-07-08
Montreal, QC
reply to BliZZardX
Bell only assigned the same B1 number to a nother client not the same password. They had their own password and their own modem. Nobody would have been able to use our login passwords because we kept changing them repeatedly and would not write them down or save them anywhere. Just the fact that it happened for two clients two have the same ID login without Bell noticing even when they double checked their system after we complained initially I find very concerning. That means there could be other clients out there that are constantly being over charged. Again I would recommend to anyone who is doubting the Bell tracker to disconnect the modem completely for a day.

RickStep
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

They assigned the same b1 and password to another user at the same time?? I wonder how that's possible... the password is "supposed" to be randomly generated with each new account.

It's also possible someone got in your router / house and copied the login, or someone from your family got phished into giving it away not knowing the consequences...

The issue is not about 1, 2 or 3 issues of a b1; it is about the fact that Bell Canada seems to have NOT prevented multiple logins against b1xxxxxx.

I Live in Hamilton, ON with my wife. In 2007 I took a job in Chalk River, ON to work on the manufacture of radiation detection devices and found a place to live in DEEP River. I came back to Hamilton about 1 week in 3. My home is Hamilton, ON.

The day I ordered the phone and Internet service from my employer's phone in Chalk River, the power failed before the transaction completed. The rules are simple; if the transaction does not complete, the transaction is void. It took 2 - 3 days to sort things out because the transaction wasnt voided but a new phone number was applied and the original b1xxxxxx and password was axed and replaced; however; the Internet was active but I hadnt received the mailed package from Bell. I tried my Hamilton, ON b1xxxxxx and password to login and it worked.

Over the next few days I sorted out the proper phone number and Internet b1xxxxxx and password for Deep River.

It wasn't until I moved back to Hamilton in 2008 that I realized that I had used my Hamilton login in Deep River for about 18 months and Bell didn't complain.

Subsequent to that a neighbour got married and sold her house and moved to Brampton. I get home from work a couple of weeks later and my wife tells me that our former neighbour dropped off some Bell equipment. A couple of weeks later I connect my neighbours modem to my phone line and it logs into the Internet, 30 days after she closes her Bell account and moves in with her new husband 50km from here.

Bell is an issue here. Bell modems are being traded or sold; logins are being acquired or stolen; and are allowed to connect to a phone line number that was never the registered phone number when Bell initiated the service and Bell is not correcting the issue.

No b1xxxxxx should be allowed to connect if the phone number on the line is different from when the service was activated or a requested move required a number change.

Unless Bell has fixed this issue; any b1xxxxxx can be used from at least 2 and probably more circuits, across various area codes.

In 2007/2008 my Hamilton area code is 905, my Deep River area code was 613.

Rick

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
Your former neighbour droppped their modem off for you to return it to Bell right? Bell give a really short return time window, something like 5 business days. Then it's supposed to be factory reset and repackaged for another customer. I guess she got charged full price for keeping it, but there's no logical reason a customer's login would work that many days after cancelling.

If she requested a move, maybe they "suspended" her account. When they suspend service they might only turn off the DSLAM port, and the login still works, so if you have another address with an active port you can use it there.

The b1 system predates DSL back to the dial up days, Bell never changed to dhcp because there weren't any reasons to justify it. But now they started usage caps on everyone accountability is a concern. I wouldn't say nothing is being done. Someone posted they are using DHCP to multicast IPTV on the 7330 platform. If caps exist 4 life chances are that will make its way to internet service too.

Bell can take steps to marginalize or eliminate issues you're taking about. MAC auth like the cable systems use isn't a holy grail though, that can be taken advantage of by using cloned modem on different headends. And similar to the Bell login scenario, the clonerer would need physical access to a customers modem.
--