Search similar:

uniqs

famine
@cgocable.net

famine

Anon

[Eastern Ontario] Got cogeco last week. Plagued with DNS issues

Hellos,

I got cogeco last friday and ive been plagued with DNS problems since then. Got the 30mbit package and they gave me a cisco wireless modem.

I keep getting DNS problems, it will stop resolving names but I can always ping out to any IP...this will happen randomly and for a few minutes at a time. The weird problem is when I set a static DNS (google, or level3) on a specific computer I have the exact same problem, thus this problem has me stumped. It isnt an OS or firewall issue.

Speed isnt an issue, I easily max out 30mbit, neither is packet loss or ping times.

My neighbours have cogeco service but have a VOIP modem and a cheapo wireless router and I dont have this problem (I was using their service for a good 3 weeks until I got service of my own.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have any idea what would be causing this?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Got cogeco last week. Plagued with DNS is

(1) What is the model of your Cisco Modem ?

(2) What happens if you temporarily run a wire to your modem from one of your computers and set its IP and DNS each to be auto-assigned ?

(3) Is your neighbour's service still OK during all of this ?

famine
@cgocable.net

famine

Anon

Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway

When I moved in a few weeks ago I put a wireless router on their VOIP modem. Never had any problem with that.

I just hooked up a cat5 to my roomies computer (yes it auto assigns an ip, and it uses cogecos DNS). Ill reply in a few hours and see if they have an issues when using a cable.
famine

famine to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
yes when this happens neighbours service is unaffected

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

1 recommendation

Cogeco_Aaron to famine

Premium Member

to famine
Were you provided with the login to the router portion of the modem? If so, see if "IP Flood Detection" is turned on and if so, turn it off and see if that improves the DNS issues.

famine
@cgocable.net

1 edit

famine to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
I dont know if this will help...

Firmware Version: dpc3825-v302r125533-110816a-TR69
MAC Address: removed
Current Time: Tues. Jun 12 16:55:17 2012

Internet Connection
Internet IP Address: removed
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway: 67.193.80.1
DNS 1: 24.226.1.93
DNS 2: 24.226.10.193
DNS 3: 24.226.10.194

Model: Cisco DPC3825
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
Serial Number: 234960268
MAC Address: 60:2a:d0:82:f8:b6
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R3
Current Software Revision: dpc3825-v302r125533-110816a-TR69
Firmware Name: dpc3825-v302r125533-110816a-TR69.bin
Firmware Build Time: Aug 16 18:07:36 2011
Cable Modem Status: Operational
Wireless Network: Enable

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
DOCSIS Privacy: Disabled

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 7.7 dBmV 42.0 dB
Channel 2: 8.5 dBmV 42.0 dB
Channel 3: 8.6 dBmV 42.0 dB
Channel 4: 8.7 dBmV 42.2 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Power Level:
Channel 1: 34.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV
famine

famine to Cogeco_Aaron

Anon

to Cogeco_Aaron
Well I had the TECH change the password when he was installing it because I wanted access to the modem....

Will look in the settings for IP flood detection...ive been through the settings a few times and dont recall seeing that.
famine

famine to Cogeco_Aaron

Anon

to Cogeco_Aaron
"Block IP Flood Detection" has been checked.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member

Cogeco_Aaron to famine

Premium Member

to famine
Was it checked originally?

Also, if you are running any torrents, does it improve when you exit the program?

famine
@cgocable.net

famine

Anon

It was checked originally. Ive also disabled the SPI firewall, whatever that is.

No, Im not running any torrents when it occurs.

After playing around with a few settings and rebooting I havent noticed the problem in the last 30 minutes...I will post again if it happens. Roomies are also supposed to notify me if they get the problem now they are hooked up VIA cat5...

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member

Cogeco_Aaron to famine

Premium Member

to famine
Hope you have it fixed!
ictpronow
join:2012-06-13

ictpronow to famine

to famine
Recently got Ultimate 30 upgrade from Turbo 16 grandfather clause from Cogeco. I specifically asked not to get modem with router and what do I get... Modem with router with wifi disabled and no access to bridge mode.... Cisco DPC3825. I read forums all over that Shaw or Rogers techs can upload the bridge mode firmware...spoke with 2 cogeco techs all night arguing and still no avail of such feature with cogeco. Not happy, thinking of reverting back the package and old modem or threat to leave and join Start.ca

Does anyone know how to get Cogeco Cisco DPC3825 into bridge?????? Tech support claims central control and yet does not give out... I am an IT Analyst at "anonymous company" for frig sakes; I know what I am asking for here! Would like to know since we do use home served HTTP, FTP, and RDP sessions at times for testing purposes and really need this working behind pfSense firewall...not the clumsy junk cogeco restricts you too... previous DOCSIS 2.0 equipment never had these restrictions with them... now with 3.0 it seems too new for the company to handle and release new firmware in time to public deployment releases...
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to famine

to famine
said by famine :

It was checked originally. Ive also disabled the SPI firewall, whatever that is.

SPI - stateful packet inspection

that's the firewall built into the router. ideally, you should actually keep that turned on.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member

Cogeco_Aaron to ictpronow

Premium Member

to ictpronow
PM me your modem MAC and I'll take a look for you.
ictpronow

ictpronow

Will do, appreciate the help since I am stuck using internal DDNS on the modem/router and it's flakey on updates, as well as the port forwarding for the time being. Would much rather be using my Dual band industrial AP controller and APs around the house...

Bry
join:2008-12-31
Canada

Bry to famine

to famine
I don't have DOCSIS3 yet, but are they seriously issuing router/modem combination devices without bridge mode?

If they're forcing NAT on us, I will not be amused.

-Bry.
exseven8
Premium Member
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6

exseven8 to famine

Premium Member

to famine
nevermind, i combined the IP and itpro's posts

famine
@cgocable.net

famine

Anon

disabling SPI firewall fixed it. I will leave it unchecked,ive got a MS in comp eng, and have never ran a firewall anti-virus program in the 15 years that I've had computers. so im not startng there.

Yes, the cisco modem forces NAT on you, there is way to put it into bridge mode.

So ya, disablo SPI firewall has fixed the issues that have plagued me since I got the service installed....

Thanks for all the help!
famine

famine to exseven8

Anon

to exseven8
Also Bry, by default cogeco does not even give you access to the modem/router. They have a set password where the outsourced TECH has to call in and get. Luckily I was hovering over the tech and after he logged in I had him change that password to one of my own choosing. That way I can my OWN SSIS/WPA encryption, power levels, NAT settings, wireless keys, etc etc.

If I had not have had the tech change that I would not access to the device.
ictpronow

ictpronow

Does the access you have to the device show an option to "Bridge" under "LAN Setup"?
ictpronow

ictpronow

Cogeco sucks asssssss, the firmware they provide (which is controlled on the DOCSIS side (wan/cable) of the Cisco DPC3825 does not have bridge mode enabled. I've tried everything from 30-30-30 reset, etc.

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
DOCSIS Privacy: Disabled

Note TFTP is where the firmwares would reside when these suckers boot up on DOCSIS channel scans. If ever they were to "push" out new firmwares...

Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R3
Current Software Revision: dpc3825-v302r125533-110816a-TR69
Firmware Name: dpc3825-v302r125533-110816a-TR69.bin

I am strongly thinking of changing providers as I need full bridged access to support my own router/content filters...

I have even used Firebug to find hidden values and notice there is an area for "working_mode" under Administration, Setup

However, the tables and
aren't generating ConnectionSEL y i_bridgeRouterMode which typically gives you a drop down menu to pick between router or bridge mode.

VERY ANGRY AT THIS POINT, I am stuck using the built it port forwards, etc which isn't that great as I used to have two public IPv4 addresses from Cogeco for 2 seperate networks.

Bry
join:2008-12-31
Canada

1 edit

Bry

This really isn't funny, Cogeco_Aaron or whomever else is here representing Cogeco.. a comment about these NAT-only modems would be very much appreciated. Not everyone, especially people who are knowledgeable, are going to be happy about having to use crippled modems.

A lot of people would prefer to use their own devices to handle routing and NAT, i.e: a device running BSD or Linux.

Please tell me that there will be non-combination DOCSIS3 modems available for someone upgrading from say.. the "professional" tier when the time comes.

-Bry.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

said by Bry:

This really isn't funny, Cogeco_Aaron or whomever else is here representing Cogeco.. a comment about these NAT-only modems would be very much appreciated. Not everyone, especially people who are knowledgeable, are going to be happy about having to use crippled modems.

A lot of people would prefer to use their own devices to handle routing and NAT, i.e: a device running BSD or Linux.

Please tell me that there will be non-combination DOCSIS3 modems available for someone upgrading from say.. the "professional" tier when the time comes.

-Bry.

wait, what? this is his modem? oh lordy.

cogeco told me that (as a business customer), if i want a static IP, i have to use a cisco box between my modem and my PC-based router... so if i want to switch to DOCSIS3, i'll need to triple-nat my stuff? teksavvy is really looking like a good switch right about now.
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

Sorry All,

I'm actually on Vacation this week, but I'll jump in here to clarify.

1.) We offer a Cisco DPC3000, which is a straight-up DOCSIS 3.0 Modem unit, no Routing, no NAT, no Firewall, just a connection.

2.) The Cisco DPC3825 is designed around customers looking for Cogeco to provide a Wireless connection in the home, supported and configured by Cogeco.

3.) The Static IP product is not NAT'd. The Cisco box is there to provide a VLAN to our Core Routers, and the IPs provided are public routable blocks. You can run a layer 2 network and statically assign your block to equipment, setup one-to-one NAT through a router, setup PAT, or any mix of those...

ictpronow, regarding your modem, please feel free to PM me your Phone number and/or Address, and I would be happy to arrange to get a DPC3000 installed.

famine
@cgocable.net

famine to ictpronow

Anon

to ictpronow
No it doesnt show 'bridge' setup. But you CAN disable DHCP.
famine

famine to Marcer

Anon

to Marcer
ictpronow

Like I said before, If I hadnt been hovering over the techs shoulder when he called up to get the password to modem, then he logged in and the first thing I did was have him change that password to one of my choosing.

Cogeco NOT giving people access to their wireless modem/router is stupid. So if you want to change your WPA key or open somes ports or something youd have to call and have the tech do that remotely, instead of doing it yourself.

Hell even bell doesnt try and lock the customer out of their wireless modem/router combos...

--------------------------------------------

ALSO, Disabling the SPI firewall fixed all the problems I was having, no one in the house has had an issue since that was disabled.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member

Cogeco_Aaron to famine

Premium Member

to famine
Hey guys,

Sorry for the confusion. When a wireless modem is installed in a customer's house, the technician should be providing the router login to the customer and suggesting they change it.

Also, if you do have a wireless modem and were not provided with the login to the router, you can call customer service and they can supply you with the login.

Hope this helps.
got_milk2
join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON

got_milk2

said by Cogeco_Aaron:

the technician should be providing the router login to the customer and suggesting they change it

said by Marcer:

The Cisco DPC3825 is designed around customers looking for Cogeco to provide a Wireless connection in the home, supported and configured by Cogeco.

I'm confused...which one is true?

famine
@cgocable.net

famine to Cogeco_Aaron

Anon

to Cogeco_Aaron
Cogeco_Adam,

the out-sourced techs (NLH or something they are called) here in brockville do not normally give out the password to the router. I had to tell the tech to either change the password to one of my choosing or else take the modem and I would find another ISP. Needless to say, he was upset about that.

Cogeco_Asa
Ignorance is bliss
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC

Cogeco_Asa to got_milk2

to got_milk2
Actually both are right, the modem/routers come in pre-configured and the customer should be given the default password upon installation. Customer is encouraged to change it, if a problem arises, tech support can reset de router to the default configuration so the customer can redo whatever changes made.