Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out

join:2010-04-01
mexico

[HN7000S] Help Analyzing Detailed Problem Statistics

Well, after a year and a half of decent internet, it's about time I started having problems again.

We've been experiencing slow browsing speeds and intermittent "503 Satellite Connection Outage" errors. I addition (and I'm not sure if this is related or not) we've not been able to use ftp or git at all. FTP keeps grinding away forever trying to establish a connection and git just says "Connection reset by peer".

I've got several errors in the Detailed Problem Statistics, but to be able to tell what the problem is from those is difficult (some documentation online defining each stat would be cool!).

Here's the stats: »gist.github.com/2920303

Also, some useful information not included in that set of stats:

- Stream Error Rate....... 0.08%
- Number of Successful Transmissions.... 3823317
- Number of Failed Transmissions.... 2956
- Last Revalidate Isolation... 66
- Signal Strength.... 86

You guys have any ideas what might be the problem?
--
I'm an IT technician with a lot to learn, taught by viewers like you!

Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA

well, as a tech, those numbers are really good. Isolation high, and Signal high, error rate low.

maybe some ports changed or something, not sure friend

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to gorrillamcd

The stats on your GIT page are meager, that sample must have been taken not long after a modem restart (which resets all stats to zero). But with the info provided, I see a normal connection. Does look like your PEP server may have hiccuped briefly, otherwise those are typical numbers for someone using FTP and HTTPS.

The reason those two may seem slow, is that the only protocol that gets routed through the PEP and TurboPage servers is HTTP. HPEP speeds up browsing only. FTP and HTTPS packets bypass the acceleration servers altogether. Example: GIT is "normal" until you log in, then it slows down. Once logged in, you've changed from HTTP to HTTPS

Slow FTP can usually be tracked down to some issue at the distant FTP site. Only way to improve HTTPS is to shift to a Hughes business account and pay extra for SSL acceleration. The also offer VPN and VoIP acceleration, but I've never heard that FTP acceleration was even available.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out

mexico
reply to gorrillamcd

Well, it's good to know that my connection is good. I haven't reset my modem recently(it's been 1-2 weeks), but I pulled the detailed stats by selecting "Cable/Antenna Pointing" and 2-3 hours ago, which was when the errors were occurring.

The browsing speed problems I guess would just be congestion then, but ftp and git(I'm using ssh in git, not https) are not working at all. I have a firewall, and just to be sure, I tried both while connected directly to the modem with my computer, but they wouldn't connect. It's not just slow, they won't connect at all. If I go to a place with normal internet in town, it of course works fine, so it's something on my network/connection.

Note, ftp and git(ssh) used to work several months ago. Unfortunately, I can't think of what might have changed between now and then. It's been a while.
--

gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out

mexico
reply to gorrillamcd

So, I've been watching this more closely and just a few minutes ago, it started having problems again. Any webpage I went to got a "Web Acceleration Client Error (504) - Suspected Satellite Link Outage" error. On the System Status page of the modem, Web Acceleration was Inactive.

Here's what the Detailed problem statistics say about Web Acceleration (I):

---------------------------------------------------------------
System Level Diagnostics
Monitoring interval                                           WED JUN 13 12:37:01 2012 - WED JUN 13 13:37:01 2012
Problem(s) Detected [*** - Triggering Statistic(s)]           Web Acceleration[I]
Overall                                                       BAD
Transport                                                     BAD
PEP                                                           MARGINAL
TurboPage                                                     BAD
Transport Layer Diagnostic Statistics
Outroute Type:        DVB-S2-ACM
Outroute Symbol Rate: 33(MSps)
Outroute ACM enabled: Enabled
Inroute AIS enabled:  Enabled

Status                                                        BAD
Current SQF                              88                   GOOD 
SMA Reset Error                          0                    INFO
ACM MODCOD Mismatch (Higher)             0                    INFO
ACM MODCOD Mismatch (Lower)              0                    INFO
TX CODES:
   None
Address Statistics
Uplink packets rcvd                      103575               BAD 
SDL packets  rcvd                        43                   BAD 
Inroute Statistics
Group IDStream AckStream NAKStream Error RateNonStream AckNonStream NAKNonStream Error RateActive Time (s)Allocated BytesAllocated Bitrate (bps)Bandwidth Allocation
PEP Diagnostic Statistics
Status                                                        MARGINAL
LLRTT (in msec) for bb 0                 1237                 MARGINAL 
TurboPage Diagnostic Statistics
Peak browser connection limit reached    32                   BAD ***
SYNs bypassed                            42(3%)               MARGINAL 
No CCBs for requests                     42(3%)               MARGINAL 

--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to gorrillamcd

Not necessarily congestion. Do you look at the weather in the vicinity of your NOC when these issues occur. Because if you didn't already understand, bad weather at one end - affects performance at BOTH ends. I have my NOC location programmed into WeatherBug on my BlackBerry. Very often when I'm having otherwise unexplained problems here in KY, turns out it's rainin' like hell in Maryland.

But what I see in the stats you last posted, is too many simultaneous connections. Are you a prolific user of tabbed browsing? Or do you keep a lot of browser windows open that you're no longer using?

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out

mexico
reply to gorrillamcd

Well, I did understand about the weather issues, but had forgotten. I do use many tabs while browsing and doing research. It's the only way to get stuff done, reading on one tab while 3 more are loading.

It's good to know it not my equipment at least. I upgraded the cabling/connectors, grounded the dish (installer never grounded it), and realigned the dish last year. I saw major improvement in the connection, but with all these recent problems, I thought I might have to work on it some more.

I'll do some research as to why ftp doesn't want to work. In the meantime, if you guys have any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks so much for the help too.
--

gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out

mexico
reply to gorrillamcd

I figured I'd add the latest stats. This morning I couldn't browse to anything. Looking through the stats, I had a Stream Error Rate of 46% ! I restarted the modem and, while it took forever to reestablish the TCP and Web Acceleration connections, the problem did go away.

Here's the stats: »gist.github.com/2990912

I'd like to check to see if it's grounded properly. It wasn't grounded at all before I worked on it last year and I installed the ground it has now. I just want to double check that that's not the problem. How would I go about doing that?

I'll be calling Hughesnet sometime this week unfortunately. We'll see if I get some useful information this time.
--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

I'd guess you experienced either a satellite anomaly (SatMex?), or some local RFI. Can't comment on your grounding unless/until you describe what you did. Once I get the picture, I'll be glad to help.

//greg//

gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out

mexico
reply to gorrillamcd

Sorry about that, I forgot to say what satellite I'm on. I'm on 113 West (SatMex 6). While I doubt it's local RFI since I'm in a valley that blocks most sources, it could be.

When I grounded the dish, I used a 4-foot grounding rod and standard gauge wire (excess from house electrical wiring) to connect the dish's GND screw to the rod.

If it's satellite anomalies it sure has been happening a lot lately.

Thank you for the help by the way. If I hadn't have found this forum several years ago, I don't know what I would've done. You guys have made Hughesnet bearable.
--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

Ah, you're barely grounded - if at all. Four feet in that dry soil is almost useless. And "standard gauge wiring" is likely 12 or 14ga stranded. When copper is used, Hughes wants minimum 10AWG solid. And you didn't mention cable ground. Do you find yourself power-cycling the modem quite often? Or do you shut everything down at night.

If the structure in which you live has an electrical meter, it's likely grounded. That's where you should ground both the dish and the cable. But before I race into this, can you describe the electrical ground for your residence please?

//greg//
--

gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out

mexico
reply to gorrillamcd

Ok, sorry about the delay in responding. The building the dish and modem are at is separate from the main building where we have our meter. As far as I know, when it was built, it didn't get it's own grounding rod.

I already replaced the 3' with an 8' grounding rod. If I understand correctly, I can ground both the coax ground block (which I have to go buy) and the dish to the same ground rod, right? As of right now, the cables are not grounded by a ground block. I've been looking through the forum and google and I think I have a good idea now of what I need for that.

I will need to buy a couple extra coax cables for the other end of the ground block. I can't remeber but, what is the recommended type of coax to get? I know it's quad-shield, but I can't remember exactly.
--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

From where does the separate building get its electricity? The source is surely grounded, isn't it? Does it have it's own fuse/breaker box? And is it more than 150' from the main building? I need this info to recommend an acceptable grounding circuit.

To recommend cabling, I need to know specifically what you have there now; make/model/manufacturer. QS generally isn't necessary unless you're using twinned cable OR you're aware of local RFI in the 900-1500MHz range (or both). Conventional RG6 connectors don't fit QS either.

//greg//
--

gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out

mexico
reply to gorrillamcd

The building gets power from a junction we have at the meter. That is of course grounded and it's less than 150' away (about 80'). The building has it's own breaker box as well.

As far as the cables are concerned, I remembered that I already have the cables I need. They are quad-shield, but have the connectors already on.
--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

Ok, as long as the cables are all of the same pedigree end to end, you're all right. What's important is to get all three components to share a common ground; modem, cable, and dish.

Do not use that 8' ground rod. Multiple ground electrodes within a nominal 150' radius of a common power source introduce the possibility of ground loop interference. It may create more problems than it resolves. Run a 10ga solid copper ground wire from the dish to the breaker box ground. The ground wire can run alongside the cables until it gets to the cable block. At that point it should continue on to the breaker box ground. Run a 2nd section of 10ga copper from the cable block to the breaker box ground. Don't scrimp on wire by splicing either. Use two separate wires that don't touch until they get to the box.

Hughes requires that the cable ground be either (a) on an inside wall, or (b) in a weatherproof enclosure.

Run a short section of 14AWG stranded copper from the GND screw on the transmitter to the ground screw location behind the dish. Then attach the 10ga wire described in the previous paragraph to what I assume is a pole mount (or mounting arm if you don't use a pole).

//greg//
--