spc
Search similar:

uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

Hankook H418 Tires. Are they good?

One of our cars, 2008 Chevy Malibu Classic has 50k on it, and is time for tires. We got a sweet deal from Pep Boys, ordering online, for $471 for 4 Hankook Optimo H418 tires, install package(includes TPMS reseal kit and labor), full install with all taxes and charges included AND a $75 mail in rebate. Only downside is that we have to wait 1 week. I was looking online, and they look to be good tires. Anybody have any experiences with them? Thanks

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

I always tell folks that Tires are like shoes... if you wear leather sole shoes in a snow or a rainy day, you may fall and hurt yourself. That's the same with tires... I would recommend comparing tire performance for Wet and Ice as well as dry. You could get Michelin tires for around the same price.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

I love TireRacks ratings from people who use the tires but as a fan of Michelin - I have yet to find a set I would use cost so little. Even as far back as the 1990's. They are premium tires and the tires that are very good (and I would use) - carry that premium.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I have not used those exact tiers before.

I have used Hankook tires installed by pepboys before though.

Never. Again.

Really noisy tires with poor handling, they quickly had a brown hue to them that had a wave pattern in them. Pepboys failed to balance them properly and I had to go back twice to get them taken care of before they fixed the problem. In the process they managed to lose one of my center caps for the rim at their shop and another fell off a few days later.

On the plus side they wore well and I had to live with those terrible tires for a long while.

Your mileage may vary (no pun intended), but I am staying away from both companies for now on. I thought I saved a lot of money on the whole tire package between the rebate and low install costs... but now I will only buy premium tires installed by a shop that is more reputable.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to billydunwood

MVM

to billydunwood
»www.tirerack.com/tires/t ··· R6H418V2
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood to Steimes

to Steimes
said by Steimes:

I have not used those exact tiers before.

I have used Hankook tires installed by pepboys before though.

Never. Again.

Really noisy tires with poor handling, they quickly had a brown hue to them that had a wave pattern in them. Pepboys failed to balance them properly and I had to go back twice to get them taken care of before they fixed the problem. In the process they managed to lose one of my center caps for the rim at their shop and another fell off a few days later.

On the plus side they wore well and I had to live with those terrible tires for a long while.

Your mileage may vary (no pun intended), but I am staying away from both companies for now on. I thought I saved a lot of money on the whole tire package between the rebate and low install costs... but now I will only buy premium tires installed by a shop that is more reputable.

Damn. I wish I saw this before I bought it, but oh well. We have used PepBoys before, but used Definity tires. Those tires, are not good. Never had any problems with the tire installation. Thanks for your review

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
Belle Vernon, PA

Steimes

Premium Member

Hey, your pep boys might be awesome by you. And as I said I had a different model of tire.

I hope for the best for ya
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by Steimes:

Hey, your pep boys might be awesome by you. And as I said I had a different model of tire.

I hope for the best for ya

Our Pep Boys isn't the best, but they're pretty good for tires. I would have gone firestone, but even after the $70 mail in rebate, they were $60 more than Pepboys. I'll let you know how the tires are in a couple weeks.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

you get what you pay for... they may be $60 more but they are $500 less in accidental damages they may cause...
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by Da Geek Kid:

you get what you pay for... they may be $60 more but they are $500 less in accidental damages they may cause...

The pep boys price included Road Hazard Warranty, while Firestone didn't(probably another $60 more). Firestone's website didn't even have Road Hazard Warranty listed on any of the pages I went to(I'm sure they have it, but I didn't see it).

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to billydunwood

MVM

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

Damn. I wish I saw this before I bought it, but oh well.

Reminds me of a co-worker many years ago when a few of us were looking at Consumer Reports about new/used cars. He became very eager at looking at what CR had to say about the (used) minivan he had just bought less than two weeks previously. He had bought a Pontiac Transport...
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by Hall:

said by billydunwood:

Damn. I wish I saw this before I bought it, but oh well.

Reminds me of a co-worker many years ago when a few of us were looking at Consumer Reports about new/used cars. He became very eager at looking at what CR had to say about the (used) minivan he had just bought less than two weeks previously. He had bought a Pontiac Transport...

I looked at Hankook's website, and they were Majority good reviews. The bad reviews just complained about the noise. In about 50k miles, I'll have to check on dslreports before I buy another set of tires

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

Alakar to billydunwood

to billydunwood
I was looking at these: Hankook Optimo H727 for my car. The ratings on tire rack are excellent for them, and much better then the ones you listed. They also have a $50 rebate right now. Don't know if you can get them at Pepboys.

Buying tires, I never go by brand, but by individual tire because the top brands produce both great and crappy tires. This is why Tirerack is such a great source.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I have the H418's on my 2001 Focus ZTS and I like them. They seem to hold the road well and the noise isn't anything crazy.

Previously, on my 2004 Impala I had Hankook Mileage Plus II's. Those were probably the best tires I ever had for their price ($95 each) and lasted about 60k miles.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

Just an update, I got the tires and am very pleased. Road noise is not bad, tires look nice, and they feel great. Best of all, they are only $400 installed(everything except alignment) after rebate. Best deal I got

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
Belle Vernon, PA

1 recommendation

Steimes

Premium Member

Glad they are working out for you.