share rss forum feed

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

4 edits

[Internet] Need faster speed; more bandwidth in downtown Hamilto

This post has been edited. 3 paragraphs were added after no. 12.

I live on the North side of Melbourne Street in Hamilton, ON.

In late 2010, the South side was upgraded to FTTN. In December of 2011, we got a notice that we could get Bell TV over the Internet. A few days later Bell realized they screwed up and offered us a satellite special.

The issue is this.

We live just off downtown in Hamilton, ON. The South side of the street has been upgraded twice, once to 16MBits and again to 25MBits with TV.

On the North side of the street we have gone from:

1. 1Mbit on a Nortel Modem.
2. 3Mbits on an original Speedstream 5200.
3. 5Mbits on a newer Speedstream 5200.
4. 5Mbits on a Speedstream 6300.
5. 7Mbits on a Siemens / Speedstream 6520 (Unlimited bandwidth).
6. 7Mbits on a Siemens / Speedstream 6520 (60GB Gigabytes bandwidth).
7. 7Mbits on a Siemens / Speedstream 6520 (25GB Gigabytes bandwidth and a $25.00 credit to buy 5 40GB packages).
8. 7Mbits on a 2Wire 2701HG-G (25GB Gigabytes bandwidth) and a $25.00 credit to buy 5 40GB packages
9. 6Mbits on a 2Wire 2701HG-G (25GB Gigabytes bandwidth) and a $25.00 credit to buy 5 40GB packages
10. Bell’s latest Fibe offering is Fibe 5 and it seems that those of us who are on Bell Performance (Wired directly to the CO) will be downgraded to 5Mbits when our contract expires despite the fact that the data from the old modems, the Siemens 6520 and the 2Wire 2701HG-G with the old firmware (version 5.xxx.xxx) says that our location relative to the 20 Hunter Street West CO in Hamilton says we could get almost 9Mbits. When the Bell site was updated and I keyed my number, a message came up saying the service I have has been discontinued and if cancelled will no longer be available. 2 days later the web site was revised and performance (Internet wired directly to the CO doesn’t exist anywhere).
11. A call to Bell says that it is still available if has been previously installed at an address and has not been cancelled.
12. We have a 2 ½ storey house that can be triplexed. If we sell this property it looks like only cable Internet will be available here; Cogeco.

As Canada and the world gets faster speeds, our speed is going to be reduced by 30% from our high of 7Mbits to 5Mbits.

I can understand that Bell is trying to wean (discourage from current use) customers from direct CO Internet to Fibe (the south side of our street). What astounds me is that Bell won't give us the maximum speed that it can and a decent bandwidth since the system hasn't been upgraded.

All indications are that Bell in Hamilton plans to remove all Internet equipment from its offices in the near future and only Fibe (FTTN) will be available.

We now have 2 grandkids (McMaster University students) living with us.

The question is where do we go from today.
Our only direct suppliers are Bell and Cogeco.

Questions:

1. Do we go with Cogeco?
2. Do we setup an MLPPP with Teksavvy, Acanac etc.?
3. Is MLPPP a dead product? (A year and a bit would be nice) MLPPP seems to only work with routers that in the near future won’t exist (They are obsolete routers and won’t exist when current stocks are depleted). The third party community that is writing firmware has only been writing firmware for obsolete routers.
4. Are companies like Shaw an alternative as resellers for Cogeco?
5. Any other alternatives.

The object is to:

1. Increase the speed to 10Mbits or higher.
2. Have a bandwidth near 100MB (Megabytes), without extra bandwidth (Cogeco doesn’t sell extra bandwidth) or with Bell etc. that does sell extra bandwidth but at an increased price.
3. Allow for a bandwidth increase to between 150 and 200 MB
4. Result is an economical and very reliable solution.
5. Solve this without a contract if possible.

It’s always great to live in Canadian city greater than half a million and the largest telecommunication company Bell Canada responds with a fuck you, we don’t give a shit.

Bell Canada staff are welcome to pipe in here with a firm update date or any other options to keep me as a customer.

Suggestions please,

Rick

PS: To the Moderator

I would prefer that this NOT be moved to Canadian Broadband. IF Bell got its collective head out of its ass and gave us better service as opposed to moving in Quebec to full Fibre, while ignoring those of us that have been at the same address for 40 years and are going to be downgraded soon to 5Mbits. Other Bell customers need to read here at the Bell Canada forum, what their options are when Bell Canada abandons them and provides NONE.

Rick

avp77

join:2010-07-10

Re: [Internet] Need faster speed; more bandwidth in downtown Ham

Start.ca has been getting good reviews for their cable internet, and is available in Cogeco-land.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to RickStep
1) You aren't likely to be downgraded any time soon, as long as you don't cancel or change your Bell internet.

2) As avp77 said, Start.ca is available as a Cogeco wholesaler. I'm with them over the Rogers network, and have been quite happy so far.

3) Bell isn't going to remove equipment from the CO's completely. First, it's where the FTTN remotes connect back to. Second, it will still be used to serve customers directly, just with a much smaller radius.

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
Thanks to avp77 and bt for their replies.

I will call back retention again and post in Bell Canada Direct for clarification.

When I log into my account, now, this address shows that I have no Bell Internet service.

My issue/problem that I have to resolve is Bell's future direction, with regard to “direct DSL from the CO”.

Bell sales staff does not have sufficient information with regard to any product that Bell sell below Fibe.

For those of us that can’t get ANY Fibe offering, Bell is an idiot and
We are screwed twice:

1. We are being squeezed with less speed and less bandwidth.
2. There is no product that we can buy that is faster than 2Mbits rural.

I will re-ask the question:

Is Bell planning to remove ALL CO based equipment from their central offices? .

Bell can hide only so long and eventually their plan will be made public.

My issue is simple! I need to know Bell’s future offerings at this address.

As it stands Bell has abandoned us and Cogeco is the only option.

I am pissed that of all the Bell Canada employees that post here; no-one is willing to comment. A post that I have my head up my ass would be nice.

Silence (From Bell staff) seems to indicate that Bell plans to abandon many neighbourhoods in Ontario and either give us to Cogeco or Rogers or turn us urbanites in rural subscribers in the middle of thriving metropolises.

Rick

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
said by RickStep:

I will re-ask the question:

Is Bell planning to remove ALL CO based equipment from their central offices? .

I will re-answer the question: No.

said by RickStep:

I am pissed that of all the Bell Canada employees that post here; no-one is willing to comment. A post that I have my head up my ass would be nice.

Silence (From Bell staff) seems to indicate that Bell plans to abandon many neighbourhoods in Ontario and either give us to Cogeco or Rogers or turn us urbanites in rural subscribers in the middle of thriving metropolises.

It is very, very unlikely that any Bell staff here are high enough up the corporate ladder to have the information you're asking for. For that, you need to be talking to management - and not low level management either.

desseb

join:2012-06-01
Ottawa, ON
**IF**, they remove equipment from COs, it would be because a) there is a remote slam available closer anyway, b) FTTH/B is now available.

From what I have heard, any area that has fiber (note, not Fibe, but actual fiber, so ftth/b) will no longer have copper anything installed as a general rule.

That said, what bt said is true, no one but the top tiers of management would know anything about this until just about the day it happens (and even then...).