how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jostran

@mchsi.com
reply to GrandMstrBud

Re: [IA] Mediacom shut me off

Its actually a law created by the federal government. I don't fully agree with it, but Mediacom's hands are tied when it comes to this law. I'm sure they don't want to lose your business either. If you get 3 strikes at your next HSI company you will also be banned so don't take too many chances with Qwest or whatever its called now.

DMCA Act
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mi···ight_Act

ThaR

@kvet.ch
> I wasn't but who's to say someone else wasn't in the house.

If you're the person responsible for billing, you are. You're not a service provider, you can't claim safe harbor for people in your household.

If you want to claim ignorance and wave your hands about "other people", you would need more than a residential cable modem service.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to jostran
That's bullshit. They need to forward the information but they don't have to ban you. That's Mediacom policy.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
said by Anonymous:

That's bullshit. They need to forward the information but they don't have to ban you. That's Mediacom policy.

this the DMCA law only states they have pass the notice on to you at that point the ISP's hands are clean
DMCA is a CIVIL matter

banning users is some thing mediacom cam up with most likely at the behest of the RIAA/MPAA

also DMCA take-down is only notice of ALLEGED infringement
which imo makes banning and 3 strikes stuff bullshit

even worse is any one can clam infringement and have a DMCA take down sent out

guy at work pissing you off if there on mediacom all you need is his IP and and you can send 3 DMCA take downs his way and he will be banned
regardless if there even legit or not