Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

1 edit

[Speed] Branford, CT Speed upgrade

FYI, Branford, CT saw a speed upgrade from 8mbps to 12mbps in the past day or two. I looked at my router's stats, and sure enough, it's right around a steady 13,100kbps (Comcast over-provisions 10%). That's on a 9 year old SB5100.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1

Re: Branford, CT Speed upgrade

Hmm, if you had 8 before, you should have 16 now. That's how it went for my area. And 6 went to 8. Glad to see you finally got upgraded, whatever it is. But it is disappointing that we're only just getting 6 year old upgrades, huh?

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
In my area, 6 became 12, 8 became 16 (then 20, then 25)

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Aren't you lucky? By the time I finally get the upgrade, I expect to skip over 25 entirely and go with whatever's next.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to Chris 313
Pretty sure 12/2 is the next step. We're on the basic ~$45 bundled with cable plan. I think 16/2 is for people who pay more. We had 6 before, and maybe a year ago it went to 8, and now 12. I ain't complainin'.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

FYI, Branford, CT saw a speed upgrade from 8mbps to 12mbps in the past day or two. I looked at my router's stats, and sure enough, it's right around a steady 13,100kbps (Comcast over-provisions 10%). That's on a 9 year old SB5100.

Now that your area is docsis 3.0, you would do even better by buying or leasing a D3 modem. Your speeds might improve even more, but whether they do or not, the other tangible benefit is that with channel bonding, your provisioned speed will be more consistent.
--
Deeds, not words

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

For me, shaperprobe has been bouncing around a bit on the download speeds. For a long while (months) I was getting a fairly solid 21kbps, then it dropped to 8kbps for a few weeks, then there was a day or two back up at 21kbps

It now seems to have settled in at 16kbps. I wonder how long it will stay there

Through all of this, the upload speed has been very constant at 2053kbps.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to PeteC2
Don't need one. We're getting all the speed we're provisioned for, and it's rock solid. I'll buy one when I move out on my own if my roommate(s) don't already have something that works.

@camper: I hope you mean mbps

kublai

@comcast.net
reply to BiggA
Does anyone know if Business Class getting a speed upgrade also or just the Residential service?