All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sirrenitee
join:2010-05-20
New York, NY

sirrenitee

DSL and Rain

Recently New York City has gotten a lot of rainfall. During some amount of rain I would lose DSL service. PPP would be DOWN or if still UP, pings to various website will result in packet lost. Is there a correlation?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Could be. This could be a signal issue or it could be Verizon's gear not enjoying the load placed on it from people being online on rainy days. Have a few things to check I suppose.

Are these drops still taking place or have they gone away with the rain?

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to sirrenitee

Premium Member

to sirrenitee
when these drops happen is the modem actually loosing sync ? this would be a flashing or red DSL light depending on modem model. If its loosing sync then Sammy squirrel could have chomped on some insulation or water / moisture is seeping and attenuating the DSL signal. Also it could cause just the PPPoe to go down which would knock out the internet light. This is just a step away from loosing sync so this could be moisture / bad insulation problem along the line between you and the CO.
TomBrooklyn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY

TomBrooklyn to sirrenitee

Premium Member

to sirrenitee
I used to often get dropouts in Verizon's DSL service during severe thunderstorms, when I had the service several years ago. I've had it again now for a few months and haven't had any rainstorm dropouts. We haven't had much, if any, thunder and lightning yet this year, though.
sirrenitee
join:2010-05-20
New York, NY

sirrenitee

Drops occurs mostly on rain days.

DSL stays syncs throughout.
superpc
join:2012-07-12
Gloucester, VA

superpc

Weird. I live in a more rural area than most and it seems our service sometimes gets worse when it rains. Could it be because of the exposed telco poles to the rain degrading the wire/other above ground equipment? Verizon really needs to step up their act.
MikeRivers
join:2005-09-13
Falls Church, VA

MikeRivers to sirrenitee

to sirrenitee
I've been having that same problems in the Washington DC area for about the past 2 years. It worked fine for 7 or 8 years and now "the Internet light is off" a couple of times a week. I can usually coax it back by rebooting the D-Link modem but I shouldn't have to do that but maybe a couple of times a year.

Verizon support is worse than ever. The company can't even seem to communicate with itself. They have as long a phone queue getting a to a "system" person as I do getting to a "support" person.

Both yesterday and today I got an automated phone survey about the technician who came to my home in response to my trouble report. A technician was scheduled but never came.

They repeatedly test my line and say it's normal but they can't fix this problem. I think they want to get me to move to FIOS. I tell them OK, but that since they seem to no longer be able to support my DSL service, which, when it works, is perfectly satisfactory for me, I want FIOS at the same rate I'm paying for DSL. That's where the discussion ends.