tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde

Re: changing my ip

said by ravenchilde:

said by nowwhat :

well shaw enabled my second ip they said but it still wasnt changing.. so last night i started getting ddosed again and i connected my router and it changed my ip.. so i get back on and i instantly started getting ddosed again

I'm not a big fan of treating symptoms (getting DDoSed). Let's try and find the cancer: What are you doing to provoke attacks?

That's a good point - changing your IP is useless if you're gonna do whatever is causing you to be DDoS'd to begin with. After all, if it's IRC, everyone will just see your new IP and DDoS that. If it's a website, ditto. Changing your IP is useless unless people just randomly picked your IP.

Also, what is your DDoS? Is it just a bunch of rejected connections from your router? If it's that, there's nothing you can do - it's perfectly normal crap that goes on every day. Just botnets looking for more PCs to recruit and stuff like that. Can't avoid them, and part of the reason the activity light blinks constantly.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

said by tlhIngan:

Also, what is your DDoS?

This.

If you don't know how to change an IP (via MAC) how do you know you are getting DDOSed? Is the Antivirus 2013 telling you that?
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by ilianame:

If you don't know how to change an IP (via MAC) how do you know you are getting DDOSed? Is the Antivirus 2013 telling you that?

Wow. Blunt bro. :-D
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

1 edit

ilianame

said by ravenchilde:

Wow. Blunt bro. :-D

Well, one's got to wonder. I saw this post yesterday and waited for OP to come back with some diagnostics...
like perhaps his pfSense logs, or maybe he used Fiddler to snoop on his packets...

You never know.

TBH I was going to reply that I've been "DDOSed" from some forums in the distant past as well, but then I thought I troll this forum too much.

nowwhat
@shawcable.net

nowwhat to ilianame

Anon

to ilianame
@ ilianame im pretty sure i know im getting ddosed since hte person who did it said hes about to ddos me then i couldnt use the internet for about 2 minutes... they got my ip through skype since someone showed it on stream and i got a new skype now

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I have had that issue in the past,

I handled it by getting a more powerful router and added many more IPTables rules.

-Posted from my phone.
tlhIngan
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to nowwhat

to nowwhat
said by nowwhat :

@ ilianame im pretty sure i know im getting ddosed since hte person who did it said hes about to ddos me then i couldnt use the internet for about 2 minutes... they got my ip through skype since someone showed it on stream and i got a new skype now

And that's your problem. Even if you get a new skype ID, if you call into someone who gave your ID to someone else, well, that just gives you a slight delay between when you can use it and getting DDoS'd again.

And since you probably WANT to use skype, a new IP doesn't really help because unless you find out who you call gave away your ID, you're just gonna get hosed. Repeatedly. (Skype needs your IP and whoever contacts you also needs your IP).

Either your router rebooted, which you should get a more powerful one (you didn't say what Shaw plan you're on), or you really have been flooded off. Nothing we can do about the latter unless you quit pissing off whomever's doing it or you just grin and bear it and hope they get bored and move onto something else.

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

Baud1200

He needs to set up a old machine as IDS with logging and pcap enabled to see exactly where its coming from and to log those packets. Contact the ISP of the offender supply them with a copy of those logs and packet caps, also CCing the email to the RCMP cyber crimes division to let the ISP know you are serious.

Won't be as funny for the no lifer doing it when they lose their (parents) internet connection and are faced with possible legal charges.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I've done that before,

Some ISPs are very helpful with it.

Fastest one, ISP called me 30 minutes later and asked if it had stopped yet, it hadn't, then they said, "What about now, we just null-routed their subnet".

Distrubuted Denial of Service won't work like that because being distrubuted, will be coming from multiple IPs, sometimes 10's of thousands - so far, I haven't had any that bad.

nowwhat
@shawcable.net

nowwhat

Anon

well someone sent me a screenshot just now of someone saying that they knew my ip and they linked it in chat and they said they were going to ddos me.. i know who this person is and im just wondering if theres anything i can do with this information? he lives in the united states though

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

said by nowwhat :

well someone sent me a screenshot just now of someone saying that they knew my ip and they linked it in chat and they said they were going to ddos me.. i know who this person is and im just wondering if theres anything i can do with this information? he lives in the united states though

If you register on the boards pm me and I'll be in touch.

Cheers.
tlhIngan
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to nowwhat

to nowwhat
said by nowwhat :

Well, changing your IP won't help because the instant you sign on skype again, they'll have your NEW IP and DDoS you. Your options are to either not use skype, or to just put up with it when it happens and hope they get bored. Or reconsider your choice in friends.

nowwhat
@shawcable.net

nowwhat

Anon

its no one on my skype friends list that is doing it.. you dont need to be on someones contact list to get their ip through skype unfortunately and i would get a new skype account once my ip was to change obviously.

@shawsean will do! thank you
ravenchilde

ravenchilde to nowwhat

to nowwhat
said by nowwhat :

If you can find out the IP of the person threatening you, you can look their IP up at ARIN, that IP will have an abuse email/phone # which you can phone and report the action.
tlhIngan
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to nowwhat

to nowwhat
said by nowwhat :

its no one on my skype friends list that is doing it.. you dont need to be on someones contact list to get their ip through skype unfortunately and i would get a new skype account once my ip was to change obviously.

@shawsean will do! thank you

Yeah, but all you need is someone to give your new ID to them and you'll be DDoS'd. Or maybe they'll find you again. After all, you changed your skype ID once already to no effect (they won't keep DDoSing you off skype once you log off because it's pointless

And it could very well be someone on your contact list is passing your ID onto whomever's doing it. Since there doesn't seem to be widespread reports of this, changing your ID may only delay matters until you add back your mole.
unhinged
join:2011-10-02
Winnipeg, MB

unhinged

i didnt change my skype when i connected my router i just didnt log on it so i guess the router didnt really change much... i cant get shaw to change my ip so theres not much i can do at this point

this is the OP btw
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

said by unhinged:

i didnt change my skype when i connected my router i just didnt log on it so i guess the router didnt really change much... i cant get shaw to change my ip so theres not much i can do at this point

this is the OP btw

I'm not attacking you, I want to say that first. I'm sure you are a great and wonderful person who is being maligned. But there is some causality to be considered here.

Clearly some interaction is causing some juvenile (person) to want to attack you. I recommend you treat the cause instead of the symptom. Stop participating in whatever activity leads to the DoS. The attacker will grow bored (as juvenile's do) and move on to greener pastures. You may then resume enjoying the internet. That is a holistic approach to solving your problem.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary on this approach. You might even not care for it at all.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

1 edit

ilianame

Basically what Raven's saying over here is if you are planning to troll, do so at your own risk. If you are not sufficiently prepared to wage cyberwar, don't do it :P

P.S. If you are not running any out looking services responding to incoming requests, you can't get "DDoSed". If you think the attacker is managing to disconnect you from the Internet, look for vulnerabilities.

P.P.S. »astalavista.box.sk/

P.P.P.S ^^^ Yes this site will give you viruses
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

said by ilianame:

P.S. If you are not running any out looking services responding to incoming requests, you can't get "DDoSed". If you think the attacker is managing to disconnect you from the Internet, look for vulnerabilities.

Actually, most DDoS's to residences are packets/sec or traffic DoS's. They aren't even targeting your applications, just sending you so many packets/so much traffic that you're dead in the water.
There are plenty of DoS attacks that do target specific applications, but those are more often not distributed, since they attack specific vulns and don't require a large number of hosts hammering the port. </semanticsLawyer>
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

said by stolen:

Actually, most DDoS's to residences are packets/sec or traffic DoS's. They aren't even targeting your applications...

DDoS is such an abused term in that way that you'll notice I only ever said DoS. A DDoS usually requires a cloud of zombie bots at the attacker's command, and most munchkins on the internet don't have that. Sure, some do, but most nuisances are just kids with scripts. If one isn't sure that the attack is in fact ditributed, DoS is the umbrella.

rDDoS syn-ack attacks are an exception.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

You guys are both wrong. Denial of Service means denying the service to the legitimate respondents. OP is not running any services. He may be getting flooded, but his router should pretty much ignore all requests to closed ports.

It would take a few dozen computers with very gracious upload channel to shut OP's router from the Internet.

I'm still leaning towards a vulnerability on the router or through an open port.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

said by ilianame:

You guys are both wrong. Denial of Service means denying the service to the legitimate respondents. OP is not running any services. He may be getting flooded, but his router should pretty much ignore all requests to closed ports.

It would take a few dozen computers with very gracious upload channel to shut OP's router from the Internet.

I'm still leaning towards a vulnerability on the router or through an open port.

I'm not wrong. "In computing, a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users"

The network resource called "the internets (subtitle: a series of tubes)" is unavailable to the intended user 'unhinged'. Therefore I am right. My rightness is known! Legendary!

Trollololololol.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

lololol

I c ur reasoning.
It's almost as if I were to smash my router with the hammer and claim that I hacked Google - because I can't access it.
unhinged
Winnipeg, MB

unhinged to ilianame

to ilianame
i dont use a router and the people ddosing me did it because i killed someone they watch stream in a game a few times
tlhIngan
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan

So now you have two applications you use where changing your IP is useless because the moment you do it again, you'll just be attacked again at your NEW IP.

Changing your IP is only good for the first second, that's it. Once they identify you, you're going to be attacked again.

Alas, unless you can play against a less juvenile group, you're pretty much screwed. If you play professionally, you're really screwed - once money gets involved, it's open season for dirty tricks.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde to unhinged

to unhinged
said by unhinged:

i dont use a router and the people ddosing me did it because i killed someone they watch stream in a game a few times

Problem solved. Don't do that ^.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

said by ravenchilde:

said by unhinged:

Problem solved. Don't do that ^.

Aside from not having a router...

"they watch stream"

- Don't do this either.
- You're not somekind of Pirillo (If you were you'd know better)

Record your gaming, put it on YouTube, no one watches Vidiya anyhows.

There should be an Internet licensing course in mid-school,
where they would teach you about the responsibility you have towards your fellow Internet users. Can you in all honesty estimate how many spam e-mails your computer(s) have sent in your lifetime on the Internet?
Pardon the hostility, it's not your fault exactly, it's the way computers got pushed on the regular folks who equate them to microwave ovens.

Get a router IMMEDIATELY, spend at least $60 ( AT LEAST!!!)

Tell your mother that the CISC, RCMP and Interpol will be after her if she doesn't do so immediately, it's the LAW!
ilianame

ilianame

Also, you should probably report them to the cyberpolice,
and once you backtrace them, the consequences will never be the same.

(For those who have no idea what this post mean, and what it portrays to: »knowyourmeme.com/memes/e ··· laughter)

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds to ilianame

Premium Member

to ilianame
Good router,

With port forward based on source-address - works great for server based games, not so well in p2p games however.

The router will take the 'abuse' passing along the traffic ment for the game (or application) on your computer or console.
unhinged
Winnipeg, MB

unhinged to ilianame

to ilianame
i dont stream... they watch someone that streams that i play against