JimThePCGuy

MVM

Which of these is a Clear(wire) Cell Tower

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Nothing more than curiosity here.
According to the coverage map one if these is a Clear(wire) tower that is closest to my location.
Based on the photos can anyone determine which of the three it is?
Left, Middle or Right?
I do not know the correct answer hence the reason for this post.
Not sure if the geolocation info is retained in the uploaded photos.
Approx:
Lat 42 7 5 N
Long 87 49 21 W
Tnx,
J

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman

Most likely the one on the left. Clear antennas will be smaller because of the higher frequency used. Also most of the time Clear will use two small round microwave dish antennas for backhaul.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

1 edit

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Makes sense.
I wanted to see if there was any indication on the enclosures at the base of the towers but I'd have to climb a fence or trespass on railroad property to get close enough. Plus even being in a decent northern Chicago suburb the area these are located in is not the best. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a meth-lab nearby.
I felt a little strange even snapping these photos in light of 911 and thought doing one of the above would cause justified suspicion.
Plus being at retirement age I'm not into climbing barb wire fences any more.
Thanks,
J
PS. My guess was the middle one since it was the simplest. If Clear does use microwave for their back-haul then the leftmost would be the likely candidate as you said.
(update)
PPS.
Using the Clear coverage tool I scoped out other tower locations in my area and looking at the aerial photos of stand alone towers (not water towers, not buildings and not multiple towers) every one looks a lot like the one on the left as you said because of the microwave dish antennas.

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy
Don't jump any fences, use a telephoto lens to get good close up photos of the equipment.
In the photo below the Clear regular and backhaul antennas are painted orange but most of the time they are white or gray. I think one of the two microwave antennas is hidden back of the pole in this photo. The regular Clear cell antennas will be very small. Around my area the only other cell antennas that are small are many of the ones used by T-mobile but they will be a little larger than the Clear ones.

JimThePCGuy
MVM
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Click for full size
Just zooming in on image 4 looks very similar to yours save the colors.
ddog
join:2012-06-18
Saint Petersburg, FL

ddog

From my experience with them, I'd say it was the invisible one planted in cow patties. As far as I could tell, they just have a 56k attachment to the 3G national network. If you could find ONE, I'd really be surprised from their lack of performance.

JimThePCGuy
MVM
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Sorry to hear it but I have two devices that I am delighted with I guess maybe I'm lucky but I'm happy as a clam.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

said by JimThePCGuy:

Sorry to hear it but I have two devices that I am delighted with I guess maybe I'm lucky but I'm happy as a clam.

me too i was watching a movie on netflix during a huge downpour and it stayed fine between 4 and 5 lights. i usually get 6 mbps down and often more. This works for me i am in range of two towers........oh yeah clears data base says my address can't get a signal.

Fruggybaby
@173.245.64.x

Fruggybaby

Anon

Clear only has towers in San Francisco, CA home of the testing, and just keeps spammer paid less than minimum wages to otherwise spread propaganda. HOW COME they have less than a 40% rating? 40% of people are repetitive spammers and slow to figure out McDonald's Wifi is all they are getting!