uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to donoreo

Re: [Rant] Work locked down laptop

Update: got wifi working. Oddly, it did not produce the usual message when wifi is turned off. I got it turned on and can connect to my phone. I will still have to test. It is annoying to have to pay Rogers $10 to test the VPN.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

BTW, my wife has stopped replying to my emails now after I told her. I could miss half the weekends at the cottage this summer.

Time for a new computer, a new job, a new .......

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to donoreo
Didn't read the whole thread closely, so I appologize if I missed it; but would your IT folks consider giving you upgraded access to the laptop, or at least enabling your WiFi?

Our corporate laptops are pretty locked down out of the box, too; I got WiFi, network config, and application installation rights re-enabled, after explaining to IT why I needed them...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to donoreo
Let the company pay for it, they're the ones requiring you to be on call.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
Here's the million dollar question? if u really need to use the wi-fi on the work lap top? why not just request access from your employer or the it department? Instead of trying to beat around the bush and use cross over cables and hotspots and bridges and what not, why not just ask? whats the worst that can happen they say no? they might say yes too?

I had a work laptop once, from one of the big companies, not gonna mention any names, and it was locked down pretty tight, it had wired rj45 but the wireless was disabled and it had no permissions to install programs!

All i did was fill in the form from the IT department, requested access, gave my reason. I made it clear that the internet in my house was a wi-fi signal and I had no acess to the modem only my landlord did. I also made it clear to them that my boss provided me the rocket stick to use for work once a month and it required me to install it which required i get local administrator rights on the machine. I also gave them a list of the programs that i would use incase they got worried about security, and what do u know, they told me to reboot the machine, re-logged in and the permissions were updated and my wi-fi worked.

i thanked them by buying a coffee for the IT guy even though he said it was nothing, i followed proper protocol.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Didn't read the whole thread closely, so I appologize if I missed it; but would your IT folks consider giving you upgraded access to the laptop, or at least enabling your WiFi?

Our corporate laptops are pretty locked down out of the box, too; I got WiFi, network config, and application installation rights re-enabled, after explaining to IT why I needed them...

One consulting job I did for a financial services company required me to use their laptop. Couldn't install software on it, no USB allowed, it was WDE encrypted, and I needed a security token to access their network remotely, but they didn't lock if down as much as Donoreo's employer.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by LazMan:

One consulting job I did for a financial services company required me to use their laptop. Couldn't install software on it, no USB allowed, it was WDE encrypted, and I needed a security token to access their network remotely, but they didn't lock if down as much as Donoreo's employer.

I have an RSA security token as well. Since Wifi is now working, I will test from home tonight.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

rogerssmoger

@start.ca
reply to twizlar
said by twizlar:

Either have them remove the restrictions to tether, or reset the administrator password and do it yourself.

And get fired

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac

1 recommendation

reply to donoreo
You have a job, but can't work from the cottage? Brings to mind the quote.. "I was sad because I had no shoes, then I saw a man with no feet".

A. You have a job.
B. You have a cottage.

Quit your griping and be happy for what you have.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to donoreo
Doesn't the company have a VPN server?
Expand your moderator at work

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to digitalfutur

Re: [Rant] Work locked down laptop

said by digitalfutur:

Doesn't the company have a VPN server?

Of course, but I need internet access to connect to it. I am not sure what you are getting at.

To those who say I am complaining unnecessarily:

1. Wife's family cottage.

2. When on call I have to be able to connect to the servers if there is a problem. Also when on call and there are updates to install (which right now happens every Thursday at 3 AM - 7 AM and Saturday 6 AM to 5 PM) I have to have access to the servers. So I have to work on Saturday for part of the day.

I would like to spend the rest of the time with my family, who will be at the cottage every weekend in the summer.
--

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to donoreo
I think this was touched on in reply 1, but have you tried simply tethering to your iPhone via the USB cable? Although I see you got wifi up and running, forgot about that when I first posted.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by alg:

I think this was touched on in reply 1, but have you tried simply tethering to your iPhone via the USB cable?

Does not work. It does not see the phone as an available device. I think you need iTunes installed to do that. I cannot install it. Wifi works now. I am going to test the VPN shortly.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario
kudos:1
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

"That's the way we do it".

That's the way I've always done it . . .by default. .. if someone actually needs to use it, then I modify the configs on a case by case basis. Less problems that way.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by HiVolt:

Not sure what carrier you're with, but I think Rogers blocks VPN on the standard data plans, I think you have to purchase an addon to unlock it...

Seriously? I cannot check, the My Rogers page "cannot be found" right now.

I've never had any problems using VPN on Rogers . . .and there is always the option of port forwarding at the router if they did.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
reply to donoreo
Wireless to ethernet bridge... You can get it at Canada Computers, and are decently priced.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
The good news: I can connect to the VPN.
The bad news: it is somewhat slow. My SSH connection login macros do not want to work. RDP to a Windows server is slow to connect, but not bad.

I think it would be better if I could connect with USB, but I would have to convince them to install iTunes...or figure out a way to copy the drivers.

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

I would rather not spend $100. Bluetooth is disabled.

A Valet M10 is $20 at Canada Computers. Load DD-WRT on it. Boom instant 802.11n wireless bridge.

You have a link for that $20 router?

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
More bad news: the VPN dropped after a couple of minutes. Normally it is rock solid, I have left it idle and connected for a long time before. Not good

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Serbtastic
said by Serbtastic:

You have a link for that $20 router?

$25 now. Still a good deal.

»canadacomputers.com/product_info ··· d=043307

sheeez

@videotron.ca
reply to donoreo
Time for you to have a sit down with the boss and ask him to:
a) pay you to stay home while on call
b) fix it so that you can connect.
c) Allow you to bill them: time, millage, and other expenses (like any other normal job) when they have to call you while you are away on "your time" and have to drive home for a wired connection.

Let them decide how they want to handle it. Sounds like you are working for a real cheap employer who is trying to take advantage of people.

On call is on call. Not stay home and wait and not get paid.

Frig them. Keep looking like you said and then give them the finger. Meanwhile you shouldn't let them step all over you.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
I did not think any kind of wireless connection would be good enough for the VPN. VPNs are so connection dependant. I will still try it this weekend and see.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
reply to donoreo
tether your laptop to the iphone then use a crossover ethernet/bridge connection to your laptop from the work one

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I did not think any kind of wireless connection would be good enough for the VPN. VPNs are so connection dependant. I will still try it this weekend and see.

I've used Wireless for VPN, and never had a problem. Odd..
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

I've used Wireless for VPN, and never had a problem. Odd..

I have never seen it be very reliable, even just over Wifi.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I could miss half the weekends at the cottage this summer.

Poor baby. Welcome to the real world.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I would like to spend the rest of the time with my family, who will be at the cottage every weekend in the summer.

What we would like and what we are able to do are very different things. I would like to retire, but that's not an option for a few years, yet.

In talking to people in their 70's and 80's, especially women, who had cottages in "cottage country", they tell me it was normal, back in the day, for the women to decamp with the kids to the cottage for the whole summer, returning around Labour Day. The men would come up from the city (by train, in some cases) on Friday and head back on Sunday evening and work through the week in the city. No children were harmed by this state of affairs and the women developed strong bonds with their children and with each other.

Being someone who works weekends (about 46-48 a year), my reaction is "And?"
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I use my VPN (Cisco) over WiFi, dial up, and cellular modem all the time; never an issue... It does have to be setup appropriately, including increased timeout windows, etc. but it does work.
Expand your moderator at work