how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TetherUMB

@bell.ca

UPDATE: Tethering w/ Unlimited Mobile Browsing on a dumphone

Over 35GB tethered over 3G in February.
Some time ago, I posted about my experiences using a 3G dumbphone enabled with the $10/m unlimited mobile browsing addon (which has now been grandfathered) to tether with a PC or any other device, using Fido's network.

There was some debate over with this functionality would remain as such, and whether repeated usage patterns would get me busted.

For those curious, I am using more data than ever, and am still only paying $30/m for my voice + UMB, after receiving $15/m in recurring discounts due to billing mishaps (always speak to the loyalty or retentions department).

Attached is an image of the heaviest month in terms of data usage, screencapped from my online billing. I will also give month-on-month data usage in text format.

Long story short, it appears Fido doesn't differentiate between tethered data and data used on your phone. The UMB plan, now grandfathered, allows unlimited data in any capacity. There are no APN restrictions.

As of recently, BitTorrent has once again started to work well while tethering. I'm able to get up to 210 KB/s on torrents.

Even though UMB is no longer available, if you have access to the $1 on-demand data for 24 hours, you can max out that connection for 24 hours and only pay $1.

Unfortunately, my discovery of this has posed me with a problem: I cannot ever get a smartphone from Fido at a discounted contract rate, because that requires moving to a data option, requiring me to give up UMB. Ain't gonna happen. If I buy the phone outright, I get to keep UMB, and it will continue to function in full data capability on any smartphone due to the fact that no APNs are blocked.

Any questions, please ask away. I can't be bothered to find the old thread, but if someone can pull that up, it has some good dialogue in it.

January -- 18.29 GB
February -- 35.28 GB
March -- 7.03 GB
April -- 12.34 GB
May -- 18.58 GB

Unfortunately, online billing doesn't go back any further than January.

Good luck, everyone!

P.S. If you didn't get the jist of it by now, if you have UMB, do not let them take it from you.

TetherUMC

@uu.net

Cool

Expand your moderator at work

technovert
Premium
join:2007-06-14
Canada
reply to TetherUMB

Re: UPDATE: Tethering w/ Unlimited Mobile Browsing on a dumphone

I would caution you on posting this, they may be able to locate your account. Tethering access is most definitely not included in an unlimited mobile browsing option. The prospect of a 4 figure phone bill could very well be a real possibility if they are able to detect off device use.

TetherUMB

@bell.ca

If they feel the need charge me for this use, I will happily see them in court! Probably will try to get some damages out of them too, for feeling like they can bully. I haven't done anything to the phone in way of manipulation. As far as I know, I am only doing what the phone lets me. No modding, no hacking, no manipulation.

kliles

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

said by TetherUMB :

If they feel the need charge me for this use, I will happily see them in court! Probably will try to get some damages out of them too, for feeling like they can bully. I haven't done anything to the phone in way of manipulation. As far as I know, I am only doing what the phone lets me. No modding, no hacking, no manipulation.

IANAL (and I suspect you aren't either) so I would suggest the contract is what is important here - not the capabilities of the phone or the technology.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

he's not technically tethering, the network sees it as the phones browser doing the surfing, ie sending the headers to the network, and the user agent id. the phone is acting as a transport though and sending the data to a laptop or some kind of external device, so he is technially not breaking any rules if rogers wants they can block that application specifically and he will be screwed but they probably dont care about this guy.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

The User Agent ID would not be the phone's browser, but rather the browser he would be using on his PC.

If they could (and bothered) to dig, they could see he;s using Chrome/FF/IE none of which are on his phone.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

The same way AT&T has been busting users as of late. At 35 gigs of data though I doubt his net use is limited to just generic browser activity.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

The User Agent ID would not be the phone's browser, but rather the browser he would be using on his PC.

If they could (and bothered) to dig, they could see he;s using Chrome/FF/IE none of which are on his phone.

the phone's user id is sent to the network to comply with the unlimited mobile browsing, if the browsers one would be transmitted instead, then it would know its not a compatible phone and he would have a 30 thousand dollar phone bill
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

file

join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

You are both correct, but referring to different things.

From a data session to the cellular network stand point it would be the phone.

From a TCP session and HTTP request stand point the user agent present within that would be for Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc etc so as elwoodblues said if they did packet inspection they could determine that the traffic is ultimately not originating from the phone itself but from something tethered.

Additionally without seeing the exact legal language for the feature we can only theorize on the legal aspects, but it would not surprise me if there was some sort of language prohibiting it. C'est la vie.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to TetherUMB

NM

mima

join:2008-04-24
reply to TetherUMB

said by TetherUMB :

For those curious, I am using more data than ever, and am still only paying $30/m for my voice + UMB, after receiving $15/m in recurring discounts due to billing mishaps

What voice plan and value pack are you on? I'm on the old $35 voice plan with the old $15 VP (which includes UMB) and can't seem to get anything more than $10 monthly recurring credit on the voice. Is it possible to get part of the VP credited as well (e.g. -$5 value pack credit)?

TetherUMB

@74.198.9.x

Click for full size
I'm on the 200 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, and unlimited incoming calls voice plan, which costs $30 per month. I then have call display with name display for $7, and UMB for $10. I get a recurring $17 credit to cover the cost of the CD/ND and UMB.

The way I've been able to swing this plan for the last 6 years is basically going through the motions of cancelling every time the contract comes up for renewal. I usually tell them "thanks for the phone, I'll just unlock it and use it on Wind (or some other company)."

Our family also has 3 lines with Fido, 2 of which are on the $15 retention plan plus $10 for unlimited text, totaling $25 per month. Retention plan is the same as the $30 plan above minus the text, and it's 1000 evening/weekend minutes instead of unlimited, and evenings start at 7 instead of 5 pm.

First, I tell them I want to get another 2 years plus new phone for the same monthly price. Sometimes they've said yes right away, but last time they tried to tell me I'd already been on this plan for 4 years and that I needed to start paying more. I laughed at her and told her to cancel all 3 lines. She tried to convince me not to, but you can't give in, because this is how you get to the retentions department. Once she agrees to cancel, she'll transfer you to the cancellations dept, which is actually the retentions dept.

From there, it's very easy. They are very willing to lock you in for another 2 years for exactly what you were paying before, in addition to a new phone.

In order to get this plan in the first place, it was also very simple. When we were new customers, we all signed up for plans (the 3 of us), and then called in to cancel within the first 15 days, saying we wished to change companies because we found better deals. They are required to allow you to cancel your contracts and refund the full cost of the phones within the first 15 days (by law), even if they are used and open -- an absolute nightmare for them.

We used this as an opportunity to get better pricing. We've basically been on retention plans since the beginning of our dealings with Fido.

Fuck the telecommunications industry. We don't feel bad about it at all. In fact, I'm still feeling a bit ripped off.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to TetherUMB

I had a similar plan with Bell. The penalty for tethering, which was explicit in the contract, was $15/MB. I did it for a month and am now with Telus. All whistles and bells, including tethering (which I am doing right now) for $57/mo and a free iPhone 4S
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

join:2012-08-06
reply to TetherUMB

Thanks for posting your invoice it will make it quite easy to find your account now based on your usage and have the boys in tech fix this UMB issuing you are having. If you are cheating the system why advertise it so we can fix it?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

I had a similar plan with Bell. The penalty for tethering, which was explicit in the contract, was $15/MB. I did it for a month and am now with Telus. All whistles and bells, including tethering (which I am doing right now) for $57/mo and a free iPhone 4S

OMG, hell has frozen over! DKS ditched a Bell service!

Now just ditch their overpriced p0s internet!
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

said by HiVolt:

said by DKS:

OMG, hell has frozen over! DKS ditched a Bell service!

Now just ditch their overpriced p0s internet!

Not with an unlimited HSLD account.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by DKS:

Not with an unlimited HSLD account.

Even though they keep jacking up the price by $5 every year? They'll just discontinue it eventually.

TetherUMB

@74.198.9.x
reply to 46666818

said by 46666818:

Thanks for posting your invoice it will make it quite easy to find your account now based on your usage and have the boys in tech fix this UMB issuing you are having. If you are cheating the system why advertise it so we can fix it?

If it were an issue deserving of their attention, they would have fixed it by now, if they could. I suspect the issue is not very easy to fix at all. In any case, I have been posting about this feature of UMB for over a year, and even discussed it with Fido employees. I once had a Fido rep on the phone try and upgrade me to a 500MB data plan along with a new smartphone. Told her to take a look at my data usage on the UMB plan and she nearly shit herself. This was back in January.

I don't see the point in hoarding the service for myself. If I can take advantage of it, than so should everyone else who wants to. I'm available for questions if anyone would like specifics on how to get this working.

I personally don't care if they're not making their usual 10,000% ROI on my account. I would personally like to see all these companies nationalized and operated on zero profit margin (all profits reinvested or distributed back to customers, no private ownership), so they can literally go cry me a river.

It would also be great if the board of directors and executive officers were taken out back and shot, but that ain't gonna happen!