Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to dogma

Premium Member

to dogma

Re: Need El Cheapo DVR suggestions

Do you really mean "sits between the antenna and the TV" -- the shows you want are available over-the-air via an antenna? Or are you getting these show from your satellite signal?

Also, this just amazes me:

The old DVR (ViP 722) allowed for off air channels to be recorded. The Hopper does not.

Can't you just go to the guide and select record for a particular show like any other DVR?

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

Dish delivers the primary local channels (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX), but none of the remaining DTV channels like 8.1, 10.2, 19.x, etc. So I can record the primaries, but not the others. I want to record the .x's so to speak.

The ViP 722 had an off air coax antenna input, and DTV channels appeared in the guide, and were able to be recorded. The Hopper has no off air coax input.

I don't mind using the TV to switch inputs (from Hopper to off air), but I would like to record the off air programming. It may be best to assume I have no cable/dish, and just off air...and I am looking for an inexpensive method to record off air broadcast.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

darcilicious

Premium Member

If using Windows Media Center is an option (free in Windows 7 and Vista), then an external ATSC (over-the-air, not "off air", btw) tuner will do the trick (»www.hauppauge.com/site/p ··· nal.html).

There are other PVR programs that run on computers, if those are of interest, I can post a few pointers.

Otherwise, what you're looking for is an ATSC tuner/recorder and I don't that there is such a critter. Moxie used to do this I believe but they no longer sell/support consumer installations IIRC.

Also, there's almost always the issue of a monthly fee because there needs to be a guide for any decent way to schedule recordings and guide data costs $$.
darcilicious

darcilicious

Premium Member

Not cheap but this is the kind of box what you're looking for:
»www.channelmasterstore.c ··· 7400.htm

No monthly guide charge though, I don't think.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

>Channel Master TV CM 7400

Yep, that would be the solution. Thanks! Apparently its a new product and has not made it to eBay yet.

With respect to a PVR set up, is there a minimal Atom based or other low cost solution? IOW, if you had to replicate what the Channel Master TV CM 7400 does using a home made solution, would it be possible for about $100? If so, how would you go about doing it?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by dogma:

With respect to a PVR set up, is there a minimal Atom based or other low cost solution?

I would use one of the atsc hauppauge tuners (see my first post, I updated it) and try it on one of my Windows computers with Windows Media Center. But I'm not sure if you're asking about buying a new computer as well?

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

Well, if I had to build one, I would like to recycle an old one laying around here. I take it an older dual core with 4GB RAM + SATA2 HD + some PCI card that has an TV coax (HDMI?) out + the hauppauge tuner + a version of windows that supports Media Center would do it?

Is there a [cheap] PCI card that has both a DTV tuner COAX input as well as a COAX/HDMI output?

Also want to say thanks for the help here.

BTW, I do have a old Mini ITX/ATOM CPU based box here that has ONE PCI card slot.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by dogma:

Is there a [cheap] PCI card that has both a DTV tuner COAX input as well as a COAX/HDMI output?

Tuner card is separate from output. You just need a computer with the proper DVI / HDMI output for your monitor (TV) for the output. Tuner card is input only.

Don't try to do this without Windows 7. That's when it started working really well.
azradio
KG7JQM
Premium Member
join:2003-12-29

azradio

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Don't try to do this without Windows 7. That's when it started working really well.

Why do you say that? Every HTPC I've ever had/do have runs XP. 7 suffers from too much bloat to do HD effectively on older hardware.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by azradio:

7 suffers from too much bloat to do HD effectively on older hardware.

Say what?? I highly recommend W7 because of the Microsoft built-in decoders make playback so much better...