uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Re: [Rant] Work locked down laptop

Update: got wifi working. Oddly, it did not produce the usual message when wifi is turned off. I got it turned on and can connect to my phone. I will still have to test. It is annoying to have to pay Rogers $10 to test the VPN.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Let the company pay for it, they're the ones requiring you to be on call.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

Here's the million dollar question? if u really need to use the wi-fi on the work lap top? why not just request access from your employer or the it department? Instead of trying to beat around the bush and use cross over cables and hotspots and bridges and what not, why not just ask? whats the worst that can happen they say no? they might say yes too?

I had a work laptop once, from one of the big companies, not gonna mention any names, and it was locked down pretty tight, it had wired rj45 but the wireless was disabled and it had no permissions to install programs!

All i did was fill in the form from the IT department, requested access, gave my reason. I made it clear that the internet in my house was a wi-fi signal and I had no acess to the modem only my landlord did. I also made it clear to them that my boss provided me the rocket stick to use for work once a month and it required me to install it which required i get local administrator rights on the machine. I also gave them a list of the programs that i would use incase they got worried about security, and what do u know, they told me to reboot the machine, re-logged in and the permissions were updated and my wi-fi worked.

i thanked them by buying a coffee for the IT guy even though he said it was nothing, i followed proper protocol.