Search similar:

uniqs

UTAS8208
@frontiernet.net

UTAS8208

Anon

Frontier 7550, Cannot run windows media server through it

The top says it all basically.

Frontier had me upgrade to this new 7550 modem/router and I have had 0 luck in having my media server be detected through it on both my smart tv and ps3. My old gigaset se567 gave me no problems and can be plugged in and would run the media server without hesitation. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe port forwarding but I am not 100% sure if that would resolve the issue or even how to do it correctly.

Appreciate the time.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Sounds like you need to enable UPnP on the router?

UTAS8208
@frontiernet.net

UTAS8208

Anon

it is enabled...hence me being extremely confused
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to UTAS8208

to UTAS8208
Has the server's ip address changed?
Has the gateway ip changed?
Are you using the same subnet mask as before?
Did you switch from a 192.168.1.* address scheme to 10.1.*.*
or change to a 192.168.100.* or something similar?

Can you ping the server from another windows machine?
Can you access shares in the server from another windows machine?
From the server can you ping your tv or ps3?
From another windows machine can you ping your tv or ps3?

Can your tv or ps3 access the internet?
Can your windows machine access the internet?
Can your server access the internet?

etc. etc. etc.

UTAS8208
@frontiernet.net

UTAS8208

Anon

Subnet/gateway is all the same. I cant get anything to show the media server, it is like this router is not broadcasting it at all.

I can get internet to work on all my hardware, Ps3, tv, laptop, wii, etc...just like I said, the media server is missing. It blows my mind that I can plug my old modem/router in and the thing shows up, it is fully shared, etc and I plug this new garbage modem in and I am restricted from all of it.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Maybe Windows Credentials or the Firewall?

UTAS8208
@frontiernet.net

UTAS8208

Anon

no firewalls setup on the router, I have it completely turned off...so that crushes that idea and I never have had to use Windows Credentials so another let down there
Aranarth
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to UTAS8208

to UTAS8208
In that case important question you did not answer:

Can you ping the other machines from the server?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to UTAS8208

Premium Member

to UTAS8208
I was referring to the Windows firewall, not the routers.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Aranarth

MVM

to Aranarth
said by Aranarth:

In that case important question you did not answer:

Can you ping the other machines from the server?

This. and what Hank mentioned above. Failing that you should seriously consider shutting down each PC, then the router, and then power things back up in the reverse order. I find sometimes Windows networking doesn't play right.

Also, UPnP shouldn't be needed for inter-network communication. Windows networking works fine here, along with Media Sharing without UPnP support from my router (which I disabled anyways).

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

UPnP is needed for streaming to other media devices such as the PS3 and televisions -- SMB (windows networking) won't work.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

said by darcilicious:

UPnP is needed for streaming to other media devices such as the PS3 and televisions -- SMB (windows networking) won't work.

I know. I'm just confused as to why that works on my end without UPnP then when a Smart TV has no issue with streaming (but I also don't have modern consoles here, since we're a home of PC gamers). The only thing that plays up is Apple's Bonjour protocol which is usually the fault of iTunes or a device sleeping. I've personally disabled UPnP in my router both through the GUI and double checked through an SSH session to the router just to be sure.

I'm not even running DLNA servers here, and Bonjour is typically disabled when the machine with iTunes on it isn't synchronizing the iOS devices.

EDIT: Looks like the streaming works over something entirely different that isn't reliant on UPnP. Probably why I'm not having issues with it then. Carry on...

UTAS8208
@frontiernet.net

UTAS8208 to Hank

Anon

to Hank
do realize the Windows firewall is not the answer...it is definitely an issue with my router...I mentioned I can plug my old router in and everything works fine without changing anything...I am looking for a solution that my router settings might be disabling access (firewalls off, upnp on) so my computer itself cant be the issue...
UTAS8208

UTAS8208

Anon

It seems I resolved the issue with my SmartTV atleast. I setup port forwarding for both HTTPS and DNS as per the mac address on the TV and I have had my media server streaming all night...hopefully this helps enlighten others with the same problem
Aranarth
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to UTAS8208

to UTAS8208
Have you tried a hard reset on the router?

I would have everything OFF and I really mean UNPLUGGED OFF.
Reset the modem not just power cycle.
When router shows it is ready then from a windows machine (or mac) but not the server, set up the modem and then the router.
Make sure you can get on the internet.

Then shut the windows machine down and fire up the server. Again be sure you can access the internet.

Fire up the windows machine again and make sure you can ping the server and access shares etc. if you can't, see if the server can ping the windows machine. If you cannot ping in either direction get a replacement.

Then move on to your ps3 and tv etc.

Be sure you can ping those devices from your server FIRST after turning them on before trying to access your server from those devices. Again if you cannot ping in either direction get a new modem.

The other possibility is that the switch on the modem is misbehaving.
Can you plug a regular switch into port one and see if that works?
And the last option is to try bridging the modem to another router turning off the wireless etc.
Again if the router is not routing get a new modem.