join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to dogma

Re: Need El Cheapo DVR suggestions

said by dogma:

With respect to a PVR set up, is there a minimal Atom based or other low cost solution?

I would use one of the atsc hauppauge tuners (see my first post, I updated it) and try it on one of my Windows computers with Windows Media Center. But I'm not sure if you're asking about buying a new computer as well?

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1

Well, if I had to build one, I would like to recycle an old one laying around here. I take it an older dual core with 4GB RAM + SATA2 HD + some PCI card that has an TV coax (HDMI?) out + the hauppauge tuner + a version of windows that supports Media Center would do it?

Is there a [cheap] PCI card that has both a DTV tuner COAX input as well as a COAX/HDMI output?

Also want to say thanks for the help here.

BTW, I do have a old Mini ITX/ATOM CPU based box here that has ONE PCI card slot.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

said by dogma:

Is there a [cheap] PCI card that has both a DTV tuner COAX input as well as a COAX/HDMI output?

Tuner card is separate from output. You just need a computer with the proper DVI / HDMI output for your monitor (TV) for the output. Tuner card is input only.

Don't try to do this without Windows 7. That's when it started working really well.

djpcraze
Premium
join:2003-12-29
Phoenix, AZ

said by robbin:

Don't try to do this without Windows 7. That's when it started working really well.

Why do you say that? Every HTPC I've ever had/do have runs XP. 7 suffers from too much bloat to do HD effectively on older hardware.
--
»www.1015jamz.com/

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by djpcraze:

7 suffers from too much bloat to do HD effectively on older hardware.

Say what?? I highly recommend W7 because of the Microsoft built-in decoders make playback so much better...