Fat City
Premium Member
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia

Fat City to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.257

Libra, from my experience, the new combo-download installs both versions---32 and 64 bit. I used to use the old 32-bit installer which would only install flash in the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder. With this new installer, I also get flash in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder of my Win7 64-bit OS. I verified that Flash is now active in both my 32 and 64 bit browsers.

There seems to be no way to avoid the double installation of Flash.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you Fat City. I'm not happy about that since I only use 32bit browsers on those computers (although I believe they both have 64bit IE's installed). Is it then necessary to find and use the Flash uninstaller?

I wish they wouldn't complicate things.

Sincerely, Libra
Fat City
Premium Member
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia

Fat City

Premium Member

Libra, the uninstaller will remove both versions (I tried that while I was playing around with different versions). I suppose you could open your 64-bit browser and disable the Flash plugin if you wanted to. For me, it's not a big deal, and I'll leave both of them as they are. Originally, I was just curious about the workings of this new installer; now I know.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you again, Fat City, for finding that out. I'm waiting for the problem with Firefox to be fixed before I update it.

Meanwhile, I was looking for the Macromed folder in System32. I found it in my 32bit Vista computer, but when I looked in Win7 64bit, Macromed was located in the sysWOW folder. I did show Flash to be 32 bit though.

Sincerely, Libra
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

If Vista is 32bit flavor that's correct or you may have installed a Flash Player 32bit version only.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I was surprised to see the Flash32 in the sysWOW64 file in the Win7 64bit computers since I installed only Flash 32 in them and expected to see it in System32\macromed.

Sincerely, Libra

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 recommendation

bluepoint

In a 64 bit computer, all 64 bit files/libraries goes to SYS2 and all the 32 bits goes to SYSWOW64. So yes, you will see the 32 bit flash player in SysWow64\macromed.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

> SYS2

Sysnative perhaps.

File System Redirector

The %windir%\System32 directory is reserved for 64-bit applications. Most DLL file names were not changed when 64-bit versions of the DLLs were created, so 32-bit versions of the DLLs are stored in a different directory. WOW64 hides this difference by using a file system redirector.

In most cases, whenever a 32-bit application attempts to access %windir%\System32, the access is redirected to %windir%\SysWOW64.