spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

swarm

@64.207.34.x

[E-mail] Comcast Snooping?

Ever since I started searching for a new residence online, Comcast has been inundating my inbox with deals for sticking with them when I move. If it was just one e-mail, I'd assume it was a coincidence, but the volume and timing makes me think something underhanded is going on. Are other people receiving these e-mails, or is Comcast abusing their safe harbor protection by monitoring for visits to specific sites?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

Are you in a rental now? I doubt CC is tracking you, but they do assume renters will move, and a promo for a seamless move would save haveing to resign you in the future.
Alos home sales sites compile and sell visitor lists or due to ad trackers, like google it's easier than ever to send interest specific mail for mortgages, moving companies, and services...ComCast follows sales leads like any other company would.

swarm

@64.207.34.x

No, I own. We've lived in our current house for 5 years, had Comcast the whole time, and this is the first time I'm seeing moving offers. I readily admit it could be a coincidence, but if nobody else is getting this spam in their Comcast email, then it seems very fishy.

I suppose a legal workaround would be if Comcast were buying information from the sites in question as to when they receive hits from an IP in one of Comcast's IP ranges, which they could then cross reference to a subscriber, though that would still be less than ethical in my opinion. It seems like much less effort for Comcast to flag accounts hitting websites that fall into a category like realty above a certain frequency, not to mention a marketer's wet dream, though clearly that's of questionable legality.

But since I can't prove anything, I'm really just curious if anyone else is or is not receiving moving offers over the period covering the last 2-3 months.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by swarm :

No, I own. We've lived in our current house for 5 years, had Comcast the whole time, and this is the first time I'm seeing moving offers. I readily admit it could be a coincidence, but if nobody else is getting this spam in their Comcast email, then it seems very fishy.

I get that kind of mail and email from both Comcast and AT&T frequently, and I don't even have any fixed landline services from AT&T.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
reply to swarm

Well, I frequently get those as well, and I have no plans of moving. At first I was a little surprised at the frequency of this, but it just appears to be normal for Comcast, for whatever reason.
--
Deeds, not words

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to swarm

said by swarm :

Ever since I started searching for a new residence online, Comcast has been inundating my inbox with deals for sticking with them when I move. If it was just one e-mail, I'd assume it was a coincidence, but the volume and timing makes me think something underhanded is going on. Are other people receiving these e-mails, or is Comcast abusing their safe harbor protection by monitoring for visits to specific sites?

You know, these posts never cease to amaze me. When Google does this, we call it "their business model." When Facebook does it, we call it "their failed business model." Whenever comcast's random endless direct mail spam happens to coincide with something one out of a million subs does, they call it "comcast snooping on my email"

I am pretty sure comcast doesn't care about you, or your email. As long as your check clears, and the RIAA doesn't send them a nasty gram, you're good. Now, if you use a service that is directly based on looking at every single thing you do (Google | Facebook) then when this happens, it's because they are looking at everything you do.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD
reply to swarm

FYI, the 3 credit reporting agencies DO sell your information. And it's legal.

mady
--
Honi soit qui mal y pense

moversedge

@comcast.net
reply to swarm

The MoversEdge program just relaunched and there's a huge marketing push behind it(commercials, leaflets, emails, IVR placement). Take off the tinfoil hat, it's not targeted.

»www.comcast.com/move-transfer.html

Fly2High

@comcast.net
reply to swarm

I've had Comcast for 3 years now, and I don't think I've ever got spam mail before this month. I've never used my comcast email for anything.

This last two weeks I've gotten 4 or 5 all of a sudden. It started a few days after getting an email about their EasySolve service...hmm...

hmmm7

@comcast.net

I have received those same e-mails recently, but have not been looking to move. The reason for those e-mails is that a high number of people move during the summer compared to the rest of the year to avoid having to change schools for kids during the year. Also there are a lot of college students who move into their new apartments in July or August, so people would be planning to sign up ahead of time for utilities before the move. This information is pretty easy to figure out without going to conspiracies about snooping causing it. I have periodically received marketing e-mails throughout the year I have had the service.