Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ComradeKevin
Premium
join:2010-05-12
Palo Alto, CA

[General] Getting IPv6 to work?

I have the Westell/Netgear 6200 A90 modem, an Apple Time Capsule, and a couple of Macs and an Ubuntu Linux machine on my home network. I have been trying to figure out what I need to do get IPv6 to work, and am not having much luck.

I have the Time Capsule set to do the PPPoE, and on the IPv6 panel, I have IPv6 mode set to Host, and Configure IPv6 to Automatically. For IPv4, the Time Capsule distributes IP addresses in the 10.0.1.x range.

IPv6 does not work. I'm assuming there is something I need to do to the modem's configuration, but can't figure out how to do it. The URL on the bottom of the modem does not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by ComradeKevin:

I have the Time Capsule set to do the PPPoE, and on the IPv6 panel, I have IPv6 mode set to Host, and Configure IPv6 to Automatically. For IPv4, the Time Capsule distributes IP addresses in the 10.0.1.x range.

AT&T uses 6RD which none of the Apple routers support. I know the new Linksys and D-Link routers support it though.

AT&T 6RD info:
2602:300::/28
(you're delegated a /60)

tsarath

join:2002-05-04
Palo Alto, CA
said by whfsdude:

said by ComradeKevin:

AT&T uses 6RD which none of the Apple routers support. I know the new Linksys and D-Link routers support it though.

AT&T 6RD info:
(you're delegated a /60)

I'm somewhat new to 6RD and did a few Google searches after reading your response. I'm currently running a v6 tunnel to Hurricane Electric tunnel broker via 6to4 I believe but am a At&T DSL customer connected via my Cisco 2651XM running IOS 12.4(15)T. IPv6 works fine via the tunnel but performance is about 2/3 of when trafic is non tunneled via v4 native. I was wondering if setting up a tunnel to At&t 6RD BR would be a better option. Only issue is I've found is that 6RD is only supported in IOS 15+ which my router does not run. Anyone know if it's possible to establish a manual v6 tunnel to the At&t 6RD BR?

The At&t v6 router is several hops closer to me than the HE one, so I would expect to give somewhat better performance that what I'm currently getting through HE.

Many thanks

ComradeKevin
Premium
Palo Alto, CA
reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

[

AT&T 6RD info:
(you're delegated a /60)

Thanks for the answer. Aggravating.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tsarath
said by tsarath:

Anyone know if it's possible to establish a manual v6 tunnel to the At&t 6RD BR?

6RD is just a 6in4 tunnel with the v4 address encoded. So assuming you have a static IPv4, you should be able to do a 6in4 tunnel. If you pm your public v4, I'll give you the encoded v6 address to use.

To give you an idea, here are instructions for setting up AT&T's 6RD tunnel on OS X using the 6in4 interface.
»www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/inde ··· pic=2292

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
Click for full size
said by whfsdude:

AT&T 6RD info:
(you're delegated a /60)

I have a D-Link but when I enter this information, I get "Invalid IP address." Any suggestions?

EDIT: Answering my own question. It appears D-Link wants the DNS servers to be in IPv6 format. The information is at:

»Re: 6rd is long as live on at&t!

Now that I have it working, it appears that I need to modify MTU. Any recommendations on how/where to do that?

Thanks.

ComradeKevin
Premium
Palo Alto, CA
reply to ComradeKevin
Someone on the official Apple forums posted a link to a procedure to get this to work on an Apple router:

»pastebin.com/0HRTSxqV

I have not tried it yet, but am looking at it.