Premium Member

to famine

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Got cogeco last week. Plagued with DNS is

nevermind, i combined the IP and itpro's posts

famine
@cgocable.net

famine

Anon

disabling SPI firewall fixed it. I will leave it unchecked,ive got a MS in comp eng, and have never ran a firewall anti-virus program in the 15 years that I've had computers. so im not startng there.

Yes, the cisco modem forces NAT on you, there is way to put it into bridge mode.

So ya, disablo SPI firewall has fixed the issues that have plagued me since I got the service installed....

Thanks for all the help!
famine

famine to exseven8

Anon

to exseven8
Also Bry, by default cogeco does not even give you access to the modem/router. They have a set password where the outsourced TECH has to call in and get. Luckily I was hovering over the tech and after he logged in I had him change that password to one of my own choosing. That way I can my OWN SSIS/WPA encryption, power levels, NAT settings, wireless keys, etc etc.

If I had not have had the tech change that I would not access to the device.
ictpronow
join:2012-06-13

ictpronow

Does the access you have to the device show an option to "Bridge" under "LAN Setup"?

famine
@cgocable.net

famine

Anon

No it doesnt show 'bridge' setup. But you CAN disable DHCP.
bigfam
join:2009-11-04

bigfam to ictpronow

to ictpronow
As far as I know theres no way to put the cisco DPC3825 into true bridge mode (IE it will assign a public IP to a router or a computer)

The closest you can come is hook your own router/access point up to the modem and have said router/AP in the 'DMZ'.
ictpronow
join:2012-06-13

ictpronow

Cogeco has provided me with a standalone DPC3000 unit, I am back to running my VLANs and two networks...one running behind pfSense and another one behind DDWRT, I get better coverage for my wifi using a Dualband Wireless N... I can now simulate my packet prioritization, test IDS/IPS/UTM/devices before deploying them on the job, etc...
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

Excellent, glad to hear things are back to normal
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

1 edit

technocar2 to bigfam

to bigfam
said by bigfam:

As far as I know theres no way to put the cisco DPC3825 into true bridge mode (IE it will assign a public IP to a router or a computer)

The closest you can come is hook your own router/access point up to the modem and have said router/AP in the 'DMZ'.

Wrong dude, when I get home I will post a screenshot of the GUI on my DPC3825 with rogers firmware and it CLEARLY has the option for bridge mode.

You need to realize that cogeco disabled that feature for its customers but cisco did design that feature into the modem but its just disabled for you guys.

Edit:

bigfam

2 edits

bigfam

Why would a company purposely cripple features?

From doing some googling it appears theres no way I could update the firmware myself even if I had access to the rogers firmware. (the white modem/router combos that bell gives had I always switching the firmware around)

So I guess the only way for the firmware to be updated would be someone in cogecos NOC would update it via docsis. Can anyone who visits this forum do that?

I am considering switching services again, even though cogeco is the fastest around. but I want control. I want to use my own APs ( i live in a large property) and have all my data routed through a linux box.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

said by bigfam:

but I want control. I want to use my own APs ( i live in a large property) and have all my data routed through a linux box.

When you had the modem put in, did the technician not ask if you wanted a regular Cisco DPC3000 without the wireless?
bigfam

bigfam

Nope, he just put hooked it up. (he wasnt a cogeco tech, just someone from a local contracting company that does BELL/COGECO/OTHER ISP/PHONE/TV providers...
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to bigfam

to bigfam
said by bigfam:

Why would a company purposely cripple features?

cableco's have been doing it to STB's and prebuilt PVR's for some time now... it's nothing new.

long story short, cogeco doesn't want people changing settings that would break their internet connections. it makes more work for them in phone support, but those are the breaks.