spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cody21

join:2012-06-14
El Cerrito, CA

[Bill] must move to COMCAST - what "hidden" fees to expect?

we're moving to a new house that does not have DSL available - only COMCAST for HSI. Trying to budget what we'll be paying - can anyone here confirm this? I hate hiddent fees. I was told there is no "contract" for this basic entry pkg - true? We can cancel in 6 months with no fees, or FUSION becomes available in our area.

Monthly-

- $49.95
- $7 modem rental (actually, we'll likely buy our own as well as a separate WiFi Router)
- How much additional Taxes or "fees" ??

Installation
- $35 set up fee

Thanks - great forum.

lacibaci

join:2000-04-10
Export, PA

Re: [Bill] must move to COMCAST - what "hidden" fees t

I just signed up and here is my bill for first month:

Comcast High-Speed Internet 81.90 (includes static IP)
Other Charges & Credits 49.00 (3 year agreement)
Taxes, Surcharges & Fees 0.42
Total New Charges $131.32

$49 fee is a one time installation fee. Subsequent months should be ~$82 + tax

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
I don't see any pkgs for $81.90 .. Which HSI pkg do you have? Were you already a COMCAST TV customer? We are not. I assume the other charges was the initial Setup Fee ? thanks

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
That sounds like a business package:
Internet: $59.95
Modem: 7.00
Static IP: 14.95
Total: 81.90
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to cody21
said by cody21:

Monthly-

- $49.95
- $7 modem rental (actually, we'll likely buy our own as well as a separate WiFi Router)
- How much additional Taxes or "fees" ??

Installation
- $35 set up fee

Note that if you do not sign up for their cableTV service Comcast charges you an extra $15.00 a month on top of their advertised Monthly HSI fee.

I do not have their cableTV and my monthly fee is $62.95 for the performance tier, which is the tier that you are looking at apparently.

I own my own modem, which I highly recommend, so I do not incur the monthly $7.00 rental fee. The rental has gone up twice now over the years since I first got Comcast HSI (2005)... from $3 to $5 and now $7.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
That's precisely what I was trying to find out ... We do NOThave their TV service, just want HSI. On CHAT, They kept telling me that the Performance Pkg was $49.95 with no additional Fees. An EXTRA $15/mo? hmmph .. WTF? We had planned to buy our own modem & router, like you. gawd, I hate these cable & phone companies.

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
Remember 1s month in advance and there will be prorate depending when you get installed.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to cody21
For what its worth, I just signed up for Blast Plus ($49/month for first 6 months). That includes basic cable and streaming video. Neither of which I want or will use, but it's cheaper as a package than just buying HSI.

The rate goes up to $69 at 6 months, and then $79 at 12 months IIRC. The only additional charge besides sales tax on the monthly bill is a one time $35 install.

If it ends up being cheaper after a year to drop the TV I'll do that, but otherwise its fine.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
Thanks for the option .. hadn't considered that.

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to cody21
said by cody21:

That's precisely what I was trying to find out ... We do NOThave their TV service, just want HSI. On CHAT, They kept telling me that the Performance Pkg was $49.95 with no additional Fees. An EXTRA $15/mo? hmmph .. WTF? We had planned to buy our own modem & router, like you. gawd, I hate these cable & phone companies.

Remember, you are getting information on an internet forum from people who don't have access to your account information. If you were told $49.95, there may well be a promo. As far as I know, Comcast internet does not charge an EXTRA $15.00 for not having TV meaning an additaional line item, which is what your original question was. The $62.95 the other poster indicated is that persons price - it's not listed as $47.95 with a $15.00 upcharge.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to cody21
Depending on the costs in your area, you could subscribe to limited basic cable and that would put you on their books as a cable TV subscriber and you'll get the lower internet prices without the internet only surcharge. I know here (Springfield, MA) limited basic is about $7 per month and that will get you the lower internet price. I've done that before when I had DirecTV but I had Comcast for internet and phone. Now I have the digital preferred as DirecTV went up substantially in cost. I also have the Blast internet package. Also with the basic, you don't have to worry about poor OTA reception on your TV. Around here, you will not get TV unless you subscribe to a pay TV service as the OTA signals are very poor as there is too much interference from being in an urban setting.

Do yourself a favor and go to Best Buy and buy a modem and avoid the $7 fee. Only buy modems that are factory sealed at a reputable brick and mortar stores (such as Best Buy, Radio Shack, or Walmart/Target) as there are many disaster stories on this forum about modems purchased online.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to cody21
said by cody21:

DON'T USE CHAT!

Call, they have better deals, and can tell you EXACTLY (within a few pennies) what your bill will be, and EXACTLY what the extras are.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
Duly noted ... thanks everyone .. (And yes, we have DTV as our TV provider and planned to stick with them).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to cody21
said by cody21:

An EXTRA $15/mo? hmmph .. WTF? ...I hate these cable & phone companies.

Cable and telephone get their line maintenance costs covered by their television and telephone customers, respectively. They offer HSI to their core service customers at no extra cost. Buy their respective HSI services without their core services, and you would be getting a free ride on their infrastructure. So they charge extra to provide "naked" HSI.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

lacibaci

join:2000-04-10
Export, PA
reply to cody21
It is a business package (as PaulHikeS2 See Profile pointed out)

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NormanS
But it's not really extra, it that they only charge that once per customer. If you already have (or get it at the same time) another service it has been included, so it is discounted from the HSI. For marketing reasons they used to give the impression you get the discount on HSI.

I could look at it like this

Here, limited basic CATV is only $16.15, so when I have that AND HSI the tv is really only $1.15 plus around $1.08tax and franchise fees less than $2.25 a month total.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
So are you guys saying that the additonal $15 fee on top of the $49.95 is a 1-time fee for the infrastructure? Or is that charged EVERY month for a total of $65 (+taxes). We're only talking about the "Performance Starter" pkg. (no Biz pkg or dedicated IP).

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
per month.
but it's complex
go here to see whats in your area
»www.comcast.com/Corporate/shop/p···iew.html

normal, no promo price for performance is $42.95 to $62.95 depending on area and other services taken.
Someone that already has at least limited Basic, may only pay another $19.95 a month for the first 3-6-12 months depending on the area.
you'll see lots of combonations, don't buy more than you need but look at the total paid in one or 2 years (if you think you'll be there that long) and figure the average price per month.
the package you were offered above is not bad for 6 months but you can call and ask if they can find something else.

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA
Here I'm paying $47/month for limited basic + performance (16/2). The first 6 months it was $37. Seems they don't give you the $20/month promotion if you only have limited basic, the HSI charge for my first 6 months was $25.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
is that with TV ?? or strictly HSI ?

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to cody21
That would be with TV, since limited basic, is the name of a TV package, which covers ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS stations and maybe 5 or 6 others, depending on the area, also most likely HSN, or QVC. All of it depends on your local area, and what the specials area, since specials can vary from town to town, every in a major metropolitan area. It all depends on what COMCAST and your local town have negotiated.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to cody21
Also remember specials you talk to someone about online, are only available online, specials you talk to someone about that comes to your door, only available from that person that came to your door, and sometimes only right then when at your door, not when you call them in 2 hrs. Also deals on the phone, or deals you get in the mail, are only available through them. You can't call in and say I say this deal on the internet. The person will look and most likely not see it, and tell you, you have to go online to sign up for that deal. Best to try all sources to TRULY get the best deal, and they are right about combining HSI with the lowest TV package you can get as there is an additional discount given when averaged out, even if you don't use COMAST for TV.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cody21
said by cody21:

is that with TV ?? or strictly HSI ?

cody21, look here...if you have not already figured this out:

Quit asking folks what to expect when different packages, rates, available "specials" at that time, and conditions apply...you'll drive yourself blind! Folks mean well, but the quotes and package deals that you get offered today are the only ones that are relevant.

Call (not their all but worthless on line chat!) a Comcast account executive (their fancy name for service-order-taker) and tell them what you want, and have them itemize the costs for you. They will do that, no there were no "hidden" charges, but yes, take the due diligence to call and ask in detail...I did, and I got exactly what was promised, as expected, at the price quoted, with no contract obligation.

No offense to anyone, but like many other goods and services, you really should do your homework, and I do not mean getting other people's opinions...opinions pay no bills...check their web site and promos...write down whatever questions about conditions that are important to you...then call and if the price and terms are within your expectations, great...if not, hang up and move on.
--
Deeds, not words

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to cody21
I'm not talking about promotions or special offers ... I'm talking about what you will pay AFTER after those run out.

If you do not subscribe to Comcast cableTV and go with HSI only ... you WILL be charged an extra $15.00 PER MONTH every month because you do not subscribe to their cableTV ... fact.

Comcast calls it a "discount" for loyal cableTV customers ... but any way you slice it, there IS an extra $15.00 a month tacked on to their advertised $49.95 a month HSI package.

It has always been this way ... no matter what anyone else tries to to tell you ... or tries to dress it up.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
reply to cody21
Thanks again Pete & newview .. Yes, I get that what yuo're saying Pete ... I was just wanting to know of any "hidden" stuff after the fact and was dismayed to hear about the $15/mo tacked on top ... After all this conversation, I think we'll just ditch DTV (sadly) and go with the Xfinity TV & Internet ... they have a nice intro price and we can revisit it when our contract expires and they start sucking us dry - hopefully bythe SONIC HSI will be available in our area - they're expanding pretty fast. Then we'll have options. But our ONLY option for HSI is ComCrap.

thanks everyone. great info ..

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
said by cody21:

we can revisit it when our contract expires

Probably semantics, but as I understand it, there is no contract. If you do not subscribe for the specified term, they go back and reprice your account as if there were no discounts, so you owe the difference.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

But it's not really extra ...

Probably a bad choice of words?

Order only telephone service from a LEC, or only television service from a MSO, and they cover line maintenance out of the bill. Add HSI, and there is no need for another line maintenance fee to the customer with bundled services. So the HSI service is priced without consideration of line maintenance because the customer is already paying for it.

Since the HSI price does not cover maintenance costs, unbundling HSI incurs an unrecovered maintenance cost for the service. Unless the LEC/MSO add a fee to cover maintenance costs.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cody21
Click for full size
The above is an actual monthly bill. For 12/3 Internet and Digital Starter TV that has been in place for over a year. Hence, no discounts are being applied.

Taxes and fees vary, The Franchise Authority is City of Lakewood which is in the State of Washington. Taxes and fees are different for different Franchise and State.

Note that we are paying through July 20, 2012.

Note: When in Oregon, I dropped TV. In that Franchise Area, cost of HSI and limited basic TV was the same as just HSI, due to the extra $15.00 that is charged for HSI without a TV package.

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
perfectly what I was looking for .. thanks

cody21

El Cerrito, CA
reply to travelguy
According to their CURRENT plan, a 2 years Contract is required for the $119/mo TV & HSI

»comcast.com/shop/buyflow2/produc···inflow=1

I have 1 last quesiton for you smart people: I'm assuming we can daisey chain a WiFi Router off of the Modem at no additional Cost/Fee, right? We are planning to buy our own equipment (Modem & Router), not leasing anything.

Thanks again !